IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Anyone here live in Houston? What's the IT field looking like out there? I have a lot of options living in San Antonio but I'm ready to make that move once I add this AWS Dev cert to my resume.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How do the brehs in here negotiate pay when companies make offers during the interview process??
I simply tell them what I'm looking for.
Typically I look in the area for salary ranges and I shoot for the higher tier of that range and tell them, this is what I'm looking for.
They'll tell you what they think they can pay, and if it doesn't match up thats when its on you with how you want to move.
I've told companies that isn't enough, more times than not I get call backs about if they can work it, and sometimes you get no call backs.

Ultimately you have to know the value of your skill set in that area and play ball, also, if you know you don't have everything, you can underbid people just to get your foot in the door and get that title and experience so you can move on elsewhere.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I started a job in mid December and I have an interview on Wednesday. I'm a contractor, but it's a permanent role.

It's not on the resume I used to apply to the position. Should I mention in the interview?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I started a job in mid December and I have an interview on Wednesday. I'm a contractor, but it's a permanent role.

It's not on the resume I used to apply to the position. Should I mention in the interview?

I was faced with a very similar situation a few weeks ago. You don't necessarily have to mention the job in the interview but you may find it's beneficial to address it if the interviewer asking something like: "tell about a time at you last company where you were faced with _____ and what you did to resolve it".

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
so skipping them and going straight for the sec+ would be a better route? even with little to no knowledge of IT?
I wouldn't suggest skipping them entirely. Sec+ builds on A+ and Net+. If you don't have a great handle on both you WILL fail. If you don't do them first, you will need a home lab to get the actual experience doing the stuff. Starting from scratch, I would at least get A+ for the fundamentals, but YMMV:manny:

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
@ben anderson

All you need to pass Sec+ is this course:

SY0-501 Full Security+ Course|Get Certified Get Ahead

Anyone here live in Houston? What's the IT field looking like out there? I have a lot of options living in San Antonio but I'm ready to make that move once I add this AWS Dev cert to my resume.

IMO Houston is good, but Dallas is better. Apply to jobs in both cities. Take the best offer.

Don't tell them. Unless you want your current job notified during the background check.

Don't put in your two weeks. Take a week or two off your current job (or take leave). To see if you actually like the new job. If you don't, go back to your other position. :youngsabo:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Any of you brehs got a good study guide for 902?

I’m going for my 010-150 Linux cert but I was either gonna follow up with an easy MTA Security cert or do my A+ since I still have Sever I and Sec+ coming up.

Y’all got any study secrets to share?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Any of you brehs got a good study guide for 902?

I’m going for my 010-150 Linux cert but I was either gonna follow up with an easy MTA Security cert or do my A+ since I still have Sever I and Sec+ coming up.

Y’all got any study secrets to share?
Nah, no real secret to it, just read material and try to learn the concepts.
You aren't white, so you aren't really doing yourself any favors by getting dumps.
You will have to demonstrate what you know, unlike whites and non-blacks, so really try hard to understand the concepts.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Nah, no real secret to it, just read material and try to learn the concepts.
You aren't white, so you aren't really doing yourself any favors by getting dumps.
You will have to demonstrate what you know, unlike whites and non-blacks, so really try hard to understand the concepts.

Damn, well I can’t say I’m surprised by that. It’d be great to just flash a resume and keep it moving. I’ve got about half of it down across the board but I’ll need to do more labs so I can really grasp things.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Damn, well I can’t say I’m surprised by that. It’d be great to just flash a resume and keep it moving. I’ve got about half of it down across the board but I’ll need to do more labs so I can really grasp things.
Yeah, I"m not saying don't get them, if you have a real want to self improve do it, I'm just saying having a cert for us doesn't really get us much benefit like it does non-blacks.

But more power to you man, keep doing the labs and getting the knowledge and principles.
I'm noticing now a lot of white kids out of college have terrible troubleshooting skills and a want to learn and find things out, develop that skill set, it will get you far. Most blacks IT workers have that skillset, but you have a few coming on who don't, so try to get it and develop that aspect of your game.

Best of luck to you man, keep it going.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
thanks. do you think A+ and Net+ is needed if i have no prior knowledge? or should i just skip to sec+? also what certs do you have?

Yes, you can skip them. You still need to learn networking though. You can use books or videos for CCENT, RHCSA, or Net+. I just would not spend money on the Net+ exam.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Yeah, I"m not saying don't get them, if you have a real want to self improve do it, I'm just saying having a cert for us doesn't really get us much benefit like it does non-blacks.

But more power to you man, keep doing the labs and getting the knowledge and principles.
I'm noticing now a lot of white kids out of college have terrible troubleshooting skills and a want to learn and find things out, develop that skill set, it will get you far. Most blacks IT workers have that skillset, but you have a few coming on who don't, so try to get it and develop that aspect of your game.

Best of luck to you man, keep it going.

I can understand that. I’m lucky in that I live in the DMV so you can find Blacks in IT in the public and private field. Even still, I definitely feel there’s gonna be that moment where I find the catch in all this. It’s seemed so sweet, just study, pass the test, get the certs, get a job, you paid. Always felt there was a catch somewhere but I haven’t found it yet.

As bad as I am at math I’m actually really good with troubleshooting and thinking things through in a step by step manner. I’ll also say learning IT has definitely enhanced those qualities and others.

Respect tho, I’ll drfinitely stick with it. I finish my program in May so I’ll list my certs then.

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
Yes, you can skip them. My first cert was Sec+. I also have CCNA & GSEC.

You still need to learn networking though. You can use books or videos for CCENT, RHCSA, or Net+. I just would not spend money on the Net+ exam.
thanks man. ill take your advice. book is very well reviewed. ill cop it next payday