IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel you on that, did they atleast give you a contact who can walk you through everything, or did they just put you out there on your own?
There's the huge team wiki and my teammates. Honestly, I'm being kinda whiny, when the situation is my fault. It'll be alright.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
ok thanks.

alright. ill probably just get the A+ first just to be safe. i want to start from the ground up. should i just keep applying to basic call center, and help desk jobs? until i land one? then stay there for a while, while obtaining certs? also with my felony could i even get anything with the DOD?

I would suggest start at a help desk or call center just to get some documented experiance, most don't really need any certs, and try to go to a jr. college or tech school and get a certificate in the area of IT you want to get into. But an A+ and Net+ aren't really huge things that will get you a job or make you standout. So you might not get a adequate RoI on it if you go that route.

DoD wise you won't be able to get a TS with a felony, but you could get a Secret if there was a enough time passed since and you've been clean. So if you have the chance for a secret position, go after it, be honest on the sf-86 and you might be able to get in the DoD sector.

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
I would suggest start at a help desk or call center just to get some documented experiance, most don't really need any certs, and try to go to a jr. college or tech school and get a certificate in the area of IT you want to get into. But an A+ and Net+ aren't really huge things that will get you a job or make you standout. So you might not get a adequate RoI on it if you go that route.

DoD wise you won't be able to get a TS with a felony, but you could get a Secret if there was a enough time passed since and you've been clean. So if you have the chance for a secret position, go after it, be honest on the sf-86 and you might be able to get in the DoD sector.
so skipping them and going straight for the sec+ would be a better route? even with little to no knowledge of IT?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
so skipping them and going straight for the sec+ would be a better route? even with little to no knowledge of IT?
I would say read the books and understand the concepts for Net+ and A+, that is beneficial for you just starting.
Sec+ will probably have the best RoI now, because of the current infatuation with cyber security by everyone.
So, read Sec+, Net+, A+ books and know the info just to know the info, actually take the Sec+ test and I think that would be the better route for you, with regard for targeting your spending.

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
I would say read the books and understand the concepts for Net+ and A+, that is beneficial for you just starting.
Sec+ will probably have the best RoI now, because of the current infatuation with cyber security by everyone.
So, read Sec+, Net+, A+ books and know the info just to know the info, actually take the Sec+ test and I think that would be the better route for you, with regard for targeting your spending.
thanks for the info man. any specific books you would recommend? ill buy them all.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Last edited:

Spin

All Star
Daps
is getting a career in IT pointless if you have a felony?(non violent)

Opposite. IT might be the best career with that background. It's one of the few gigs you can move your way up quick with hustle and a little determination.

If you have no experience, the best 3 opportunities I know of right now are:
Per Scholas
Networking & Security Administration – NPower
military (either full time or part-time)

The best deal about per scholas and npower is they will help you find a job once you complete their bootcamp and they're free.

The best thing about the military is you can get a bonus to sign up, save cash while you're away on training and have something you can put on your resume as work experience. Last but definitely not least is you will be put in for a security clearance.

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
How do the brehs in here negotiate pay when companies make offers during the interview process??