IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
finna start on the CompTIAs, what tools/study helps would yall who have done it or are knowledgeable recommend (yoututbe, books, online sites etc.). i'm ready to start my bread is set to buy :takedat:

Testout.com--- Virtual labs, practice test, demos, video lectures and practice exams. They have a far bigger pool of practice questions for the 901/902 domains than necessary but its more than enough to prepare you to pass.

PocketPrep A+ ---Phone app so you can study on the go, Full Paid version has a pool of 800 practice questions that cover the 901 and 902 domains

Deus

I'm the REAL Zucotti Manicotti
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kingsbridge
How do you developer brehs get into coding and app development or any DBA brehs willing to share some secrets. I'm on the hardware/sys admin side but you guys are the ones eating.

How did you get into it and how long did it take to learn those skills?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
How do you developer brehs get into coding and app development or any DBA brehs willing to share some secrets. I'm on the hardware/sys admin side but you guys are the ones eating.

How did you get into it and how long did it take to learn those skills?
I'm not sure I understand your question. Is it how do you learn to code or is it how do you transition into a developer role?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Both, appreciate the time answering it
As far as learning to code you kinda just do it. Tutorials are plentiful and 90% of the problems you encounter can be solved with Google. You just need to pick a language, I'd recommend Java, Python, or JavaScript, and start putting together a small portfolio with it. The best way to do that is to do a tutorial that has a tangible product, say a website or mobile application, and start to branch off in the middle of it to make it your own.

To transition you might try automating some small repetitive tasks that are part of your day-to-day. Making some Python, Powershell, or Bash scripts is a decent way to get your feet wet and have something work related to put on your resume. You can look for opportunities to make yourself or your team some simple tools if they don't exist.

For a DBA role you'll want to learn SQL and learn how to do simple things like creating schemas and putting together queries. I think there are some W3Schools tutorials that can get you up to speed with that. Get comfortable with the CLI because you won't necessarily have a GUI to interact with the database. If you have a DBA or developer in close proximity ask to look over their shoulder for a few days. You can learn a lot by just watching someone who knows what they're doing. Show enough interest and they might even toss some tasks your way.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Any of y'all mess with Kubernetes? I'm learning it on my own. I feel like it will help me at work with some of my goals of being a SME on my team. I've done docker in the past coming from a DevOps background so it should be interesting.

I'm still trying to compare it to docker swarm which I found easier to use and conceptually easier to grasp but the industry has chosen Kubernetes as the #1 container orchestration tool.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Any of y'all mess with Kubernetes? I'm learning it on my own. I feel like it will help me at work with some of my goals of being a SME on my team. I've done docker in the past coming from a DevOps background so it should be interesting.

I'm still trying to compare it to docker swarm which I found easier to use and conceptually easier to grasp but the industry has chosen Kubernetes as the #1 container orchestration tool.
I've been working with it lately. What do you want to know?

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Just an A+

I know it sounds like Im stacked with certs and got it poppin with my situation but honestly its due to my location and my immediate network.

Whether you got 1 cert , 6 certs or 20 certs, location and networking will always be an important factor. Please dont sleep on this aspect because Im speaking from recent experience.

Yes, what people like B Dizzle, Havoc etc were saying is %100 truth; There's so much money to be made in IT

The quicker you get your certs, skills and experience, The sooner you'll get to to all them nice salaries that people in here be talking about.

But again, location and networking is extremely important.

Reason is...

Networking is how you find out about the super lucrative opportunities you wont see on Indeed.com, Careerbuilder or Dice. Networking is like having a direct pipline to jobs without all the BS that comes with online jobhunting. When you've got a list of solid connects in the field, They'll constantly suggest jobs to you and its up to you if you wanna pursue it or not. Even if love your current job, Its feel good to just have options especially in the event things go south at your job, you can already have another one locked and loaded in the event you choose to jump ship.

Its more to it than just having the plug to the good jobs, but you can also find out about discounts on certs and career training to boost your resume. You can find out about the emerging technologies and growing trends so you can hop on it early and get training and certs for cheap before it really starts to boom. :ets say the next hot cert on the infrastructure side of IT is through vendor XYZ offering the cert
DooDooBiscuits +, you can be ahead of the curve and have an in demand skillset that few have because they didnt think DooDoo Biscuits + was gonna take the game over, There goes your 6 figures. Adopt an investors mindset; always be studying and increasing your skillset. Yes, you should get all the neccessary certs out the way 1st so you can fast track out of entry level (A+, Sec+, Net+,CCNET/CCNA, MCSA).
But back to my point networkin is so crucial, but one thing ive come to notice is that in alot of cases, the best jobs will tend to be wherever you're not at which leads me to my next point...

Location, Location, Location. Your willingness to relocate and go get that bag will be the a big factor in your success

I am willing to move anywhere brehs, working up to Security+ in December, anyone know any places I could start looking country wide? I'm in a small redneck town in Florida but have been trying places like Miami and Orlando with no luck. I feel like this state should have plenty of opportunities in the field.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
I am willing to move anywhere brehs, working up to Security+ in December, anyone know any places I could start looking country wide? I'm in a small redneck town in Florida but have been trying places like Miami and Orlando with no luck. I feel like this state should have plenty of opportunities in the field.

If youre looking to settle in a particular market that's busting at the seams with IT jobs
Dallas, TX or Houston, TX
Atlanta, GA
D.C

IF youre in a hot market the need to relocate is slim to nil.

or just wherever the money is at granted the place you move to has alot to do and not a dead ghost town. That something else to consider

I was thinking bout knocking my Sec+ out in December as well. If possible but no later than Mid January of next year.

I wanna dedicate all of next year to getting the CCNA and the MCSA and possibly an AWS cert if I can fit it in.

If there's any brehs already working in the Infrastructure/System Admin side, could you tell me which valuable certs should I get in order as far as what im trying to do?

I should have my A+ Net+ and Sec+ by this years end but im aiming to jump into CCNA early next year but Idunno should I go with the R+S or Data Center concentration as recommended by this article?

Plan the Perfect IT SysAdmin Career Path

Ive already drawn up a 3 year plan to fast track my career within reason I just need slight suggestions from people in the know

I got nothing but freetime, Im in full study mode and looking to hit the ground full sprint with this IT shyt

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
If you all have a clean record look for government positions in Ft. Meade, Ft. Benning, Ft. Bragg, and Ft. Gordon. I know Air Force side is picking up too at Tinker AFB, Robins AFB, Maxwell AFB, and Joint Base San Antonio. Especially security side.

Again get the clearances and you have access to a lot of money.
I must say going into month 2 of being a fed civilian, I'm looking to leave in a few months.
I prefer the money to the stability and the bs obligations you have as a civilian compared to a contractor.