IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
Anybody thats been down the System Admin path. what the certs and hard skills i need to become good at in the event somebody decides to give me that big break. I wanna be prepared.

Also im not feeling this Net + bullshyt, I been studying from sun up to sun down and the shyt is just an unnecessarily convoluted version of the A+
Because it covers the same fundamental networking stuff covered in A+ just to a more pedantic degree. shyt is built for pure memorization clearly because there's no meat and potatoes. At least A+ had tons of stuff I was interested in like Migration, Remote Assistance/Desktop, Imaging, System back-ups, Scheduling tasks, and NTFS permissions. I can see why this cert is considered the gold standard for entry level because it covers alot hardware-wise but keeps my attention.

Im thinking bout dropping Net+ and reapplying my voucher towards Sec+, ICND1, or ITIL

Need advice on which one should I pursue,

Short-term I wanna secure a Desktop Support role,

Long-term im trying to become SysAdmin, dont care if my 1st role underpays me i just need expereince, I just need someone to point me in the right direction as far as relevant certs and skills, I already know PowerShell is a must have since it can automate task according to BDIZZLE and a few others what else is there though.

By the way I just got contacted about a 6 week Desktop project that seems like it will put me on the right trajectory im trying to go which is
Desktop----> Jr. Sys Admin------> System Admin----------> System Engineer/Security Analyst (?)

Thanks in advance to anybody thats got some gems for me because Googling can sometimes be a minefield of bullshyt to wade through

Last edited:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What do you guys say when an interview as you to tell them the most difficult technical problem you've encountered?

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
If you don't want to go for network plus then don't, but you still need to know that information.

not trying to avoid Networking concepts because it intersects with everything in IT

I just find the learning material a bit underwhelming and confusing and I just want to get the biggest return on my investment even if it is a free voucher.

you got experience in networking?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
not trying to avoid Networking concepts because it intersects with everything in IT

I just find the learning material a bit underwhelming and confusing and I just want to get the biggest return on my investment even if it is a free voucher.

you got experience in networking?
I don't have networking experience. I'm still in the desktop support stage of my career plan. But I'm saying that you can just study the networking and not go for the cert, if you don't want to or if you can get a help desk role without it.

Man I think some layoffs finna pop off at a gig I just started :francis:
I always have trouble knowing when to bail out. I remember 2 jobs ago, my manager left after I was only there for 2 months. I was good with computers, but I needed formal training. I had 2 more managers over the 9 more months I was at that job. That was over 2 years ago and I still regret not jumping ship sooner.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't have networking experience. I'm still in the desktop support stage of my career plan. But I'm saying that you can just study the networking and not go for the cert, if you don't want to or if you can get a help desk role without it.

I always have trouble knowing when to bail out. I remember 2 jobs ago, my manager left after I was only there for 2 months. I was good with computers, but I needed formal training. I had 2 more managers over the 9 more months I was at that job. That was over 2 years ago and I still regret not jumping ship sooner.

you only stayed 9 months? I assume you left on your own terms or you got let go/laid off?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you only stayed 9 months? I assume you left on your own terms or you got let go/laid off?
I totally worded that post wrong. I was there for 13 months when I should've left after 3. After my original manager left, they took months to communicate who I would be reporting to. Then they put me under a solutions architect director, who had no time/interest for me. My posiition was desktop support and he was more interested in interacting with the engineers.

By the end of it, my manager was the HR manager and she would twist things I said and use it against me later. I was let go not long after. I didn't mean to ramble on. That was a couple years back. Sometimes you gotta know when to bail out.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
I totally worded that post wrong. I was there for 13 months when I should've left after 3. After my original manager left, they took months to communicate who I would be reporting to. Then they put me under a solutions architect director, who had no time/interest for me. My posiition was desktop support and he was more interested in interacting with the engineers.

By the end of it, my manager was the HR manager and she would twist things I said and use it against me later. I was let go not long after. I didn't mean to ramble on. That was a couple years back. Sometimes you gotta know when to bail out.
coming from a warehouse background I have the same experience as you except I reached a point where I would jump ship in a heart beat if I seen the shytstorm coming. Too many bad experiences made me become privy to corporate BS. And nah my g you wasnt really rambling lol, I tend to do that shyt alot myself so you good.

As for Network+ My ego doesnt want me to bail on this, because I like finishing what I started but I just have an uneasy feeling like it's an L waiting to happen because the course material is
:hhh:
Im on my last free voucher and dont wanna waste it failing an exam for a cert that's I cant get much mileage out of , when I can make better use of my voucher shootin for the CCENT, Security+ or ITIL

I want my MCSA and CCNA by end of next year and I just wanna avoid wasting effort and devote all my leisure time to accomplishing that

short term im trying to make the biggest splash I can at the entry-level, The money will come Im more worried about getting the right skills and certs so my bargaining chips can be high whens im ready to advance in a year or or so. Ive got a solid network of people who can get me in front of the right people....just need the skills

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Anybody thats been down the System Admin path. what the certs and hard skills i need to become good at in the event somebody decides to give me that big break. I wanna be prepared.

Also im not feeling this Net + bullshyt, I been studying from sun up to sun down and the shyt is just an unnecessarily convoluted version of the A+
Because it covers the same fundamental networking stuff covered in A+ just to a more pedantic degree. shyt is built for pure memorization clearly because there's no meat and potatoes. At least A+ had tons of stuff I was interested in like Migration, Remote Assistance/Desktop, Imaging, System back-ups, Scheduling tasks, and NTFS permissions. I can see why this cert is considered the gold standard for entry level because it covers alot hardware-wise but keeps my attention.

Im thinking bout dropping Net+ and reapplying my voucher towards Sec+, ICND1, or ITIL

Long-term im trying to become SysAdmin, dont care if my 1st role underpays me i just need expereince, I just need someone to point me in the right direction as far as relevant certs and skills, I already know PowerShell is a must have since it can automate task according to BDIZZLE and a few others what else is there though.

By the way I just got contacted about a 6 week Desktop project that seems like it will put me on the right trajectory im trying to go which is
Desktop----> Jr. Sys Admin------> System Admin----------> System Engineer/Security Analyst (?)

Thanks in advance to anybody thats got some gems for me because Googling can sometimes be a minefield of bullshyt to wade through
You are going to need EXPERIENCE working in a Windows Active Directory group.
Now you can get on MS technet hands on and train yourself on using active directory playing with group policy and pushing software and get actual experience.
Cert wise get your windows certs MSCA and MSCE, will get you there.
Powershell and/or batch do the same thing, I used batch scripting for most of my automation, it was easier for me to process, but I'm slowly integrating powershell into my wheelhouse.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

network+ is a good intro to networking but i tell ppl to just start their ccent. it covers the network+ and a lot more in regards to networking.

system admin is weird. some companies are trippin when it comes to what they expect from their system admin. i've seen job postings asking for MCSA, CCNA, knowledge in powershell, bash, python, javascript and the pay is 60k:hhh: my friend is a level 2 desktop support tech and is making 65k with a 5% COLA every year. i tell these companies to fukk off if the offer is shyt for what they demand.

i recommend you study ICND1 and 70-740, 70-741, 70-742. that'll give you a good foundation for networking and windows.

What do you guys say when an interview as you to tell them the most difficult technical problem you've encountered?

i usually tie it to the position/role. so if i'm working with a lot of customers then i'll just bring up times i went above and beyond for a customer while they were giving me shyt. i exaggerate and tell lies but make sure i cover all corners with my story:yeshrug: if i'm doing something more technical then i'll just say something like an update to the server caused it to crash so i went in after hours to restore it to a previous version. some shyt like that.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
system admin is weird. some companies are trippin when it comes to what they expect from their system admin. i've seen job postings asking for MCSA, CCNA, knowledge in powershell, bash, python, javascript and the pay is 60k:hhh: my friend is a level 2 desktop support tech and is making 65k with a 5% COLA every year. i tell these companies to fukk off if the offer is shyt for what they demand.
I've seen these types of job listings before. I don't understand them at all.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
network+ is a good intro to networking but i tell ppl to just start their ccent. it covers the network+ and a lot more in regards to networking.

i recommend you study ICND1 and 70-740, 70-741, 70-742. that'll give you a good foundation for networking and windows.

Damn. Thx for the confrimation that im doing the right thing breh. That's the way I planned to take the exam in that exact order except I was going to gon head and get the full CCNA since i'll be coming right off the Network+ going right into CCENT. Might as well round it off with the CCNA and get it behind me then on to MCSA Server 2016.

I tried to bail on the Net+ for security+ but it looks like im stuck with Net+ since the voucher has already been redeemed. Just gonna rambo this shyt for 5-6 weeks.

Also I see alot of articles saying Linux, and powershell are good skills to have. What's a good linux cert? and does the Server 2016 coer alot of powershell. I really wanna get this automation stuff down.

Again Thanks bruh.

Since I got the A+ shyt has been on the upswing, I definitly wanna stay on the desktop side of things til i get my skillset on point , That shyt has me genuinely interested.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Damn. Thx for the confrimation that im doing the right thing breh. That's the way I planned to take the exam in that exact order except I was going to gon head and get the full CCNA since i'll be coming right off the Network+ going right into CCENT. Might as well round it off with the CCNA and get it behind me then on to MCSA Server 2016.

I tried to bail on the Net+ for security+ but it looks like im stuck with Net+ since the voucher has already been redeemed. Just gonna rambo this shyt for 5-6 weeks.

Also I see alot of articles saying Linux, and powershell are good skills to have. What's a good linux cert? and does the Server 2016 coer alot of powershell. I really wanna get this automation stuff down.

Again Thanks bruh.

Since I got the A+ shyt has been on the upswing, I definitly wanna stay on the desktop side of things til i get my skillset on point , That shyt has me genuinely interested.

i don't know much about linux so i couldn't tell you. but server 2016 does cover a lot of powershell. MCSA in general will include powershell for most tasks so you'll definitely get a good taste of it.

you are on the right path imo. i started off the same by getting my A+ and Network+ then finished my ICND1 and studied for the CCNA and occasionally read up on MCSA but ended up stopping because of work and life. if you keep keep progressing in your position and learning then you'll get that system admin job in like 3-5 years. i'm in a system admin role now after 4 years.

the thing i tell people is you gotta make sure you keep learning on the job. in those 4 years i worked for two companies because after 1.5-2 years i felt like i hit the ceiling and wasn't learning much on the job.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
i don't know much about linux so i couldn't tell you. but server 2016 does cover a lot of powershell. MCSA in general will include powershell for most tasks so you'll definitely get a good taste of it.

you are on the right path imo. i started off the same by getting my A+ and Network+ then finished my ICND1 and studied for the CCNA and occasionally read up on MCSA but ended up stopping because of work and life. if you keep keep progressing in your position and learning then you'll get that system admin job in like 3-5 years. i'm in a system admin role now after 4 years.

the thing i tell people is you gotta make sure you keep learning on the job. in those 4 years i worked for two companies because after 1.5-2 years i felt like i hit the ceiling and wasn't learning much on the job.

Damn thanks my g
will most definitely stay the course.

I dun read through this entire thread about 5 times already because of the amount of gems. Post ive glanced over before seem new to me now that its relevant.

Gonna have to find away to archive this entrie thread on my flash drive in case the site ever go under ( god forbid)
All I do is study til im burned out, read through this thread, get inspired again, then im right back to hittin the books...and labs