IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
Check out the following website - edX

what course should i take? if i can spend 10 hours a week on a course, i can get a high paying job, brehs. it is self pace and it is free. once you pass, you can pay for a certificate.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Check out the following website - edX

what course should i take? if i can spend 10 hours a week on a course, i can get a high paying job, brehs. it is self pace and it is free. once you pass, you can pay for a certificate.

Been a big fan of their content for a while but I wouldn't spend the money on the cert. What are you doing currently?

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
Been a big fan of their content for a while but I wouldn't spend the money on the cert. What are you doing currently?
I have a part time job as a general worker. i guess you can say that i deliver parcels. it is a sad and depressing job but it can pay well if you can handle the bullshyt that comes along with it. the hours are shady, like the higher ups don't give a fukk. i might switch jobs and go somewhere else. I have my resume updated and i will apply for full time positions. I don't do mobile services like skip the dish, door dash. Ride sharing apps are not legal where i live. i want to increase my skills so maybe i can get higher paying job.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
I have a part time job as a general worker. i guess you can say that i deliver parcels. it is a sad and depressing job but it can pay well if you can handle the bullshyt that comes along with it. the hours are shady, like the higher ups don't give a fukk. i might switch jobs and go somewhere else. I have my resume updated and i will apply for full time positions. I don't do mobile services like skip the dish, door dash. Ride sharing apps are not legal where i live. i want to increase my skills so maybe i can get higher paying job.

First of all, props for wanting to learn new skills.

Since it doesn't seem you have any IT background and you don't like your current job much, Help Desk and an overnight NOC role are probably the easiest and quickest transitions into IT. If that is what you are looking for (not clear), you should look elsewhere from EDX.

EDX doesn't really cater to that but I'd definitely take their advanced Excel courses. Anyone can benefit from them and it will help you throughout your career no matter what job you have.

GreenGrass

All Star
Daps
First of all, props for wanting to learn new skills.

Since it doesn't seem you have any IT background and you don't like your current job much, Help Desk and an overnight NOC role are probably the easiest and quickest transitions into IT. If that is what you are looking for (not clear), you should look elsewhere from EDX.

EDX doesn't really cater to that but I'd definitely take their advanced Excel courses. Anyone can benefit from them and it will help you throughout your career no matter what job you have.
I have some IT experience but no certs. I thought about working in a office once again. i will think about it.

What is so bad about EDX ? Which online institution is the best?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got another interview lined up for next week. The email says it'll take 3-4 hours. :dwillhuh:

Why do these companies do this for IT support roles?

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I am currently on the third phase for a cloud security position :sadcam:.

1 - recruiter pre-screen went great.
2- Interviewed with the hiring manager over the phone. A 30 minute interview, turned to an hour interview. He also gave me a 30 minute technical interview which he says I did really well.
3- Now I will be doing a panel interview with 4-5 people. It will be all technical interviews. It will be all about Cloud, Security, trouble shooting and Networking..

I don't work in security but I have the knowledge and certs.

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
In Jan of this year, I enrolled in this tech school similar to the dev bootcamps mentioned in previous post. The particular program I'm in is geared towards support which preps me to sit for the A+,Net, Sec+, and ITIL certifications and I'm attending on the dime of the WIOA .

One thing trying to earn certs has taught me is how to study intently and reallocate my time to shyt that really matters, particularly my career. At first I was bullshytting and wasnt use to studying like this; Took the A+901 twice and failed by 20-25 points and exceeded the bare minimum when I passed on the 3rd attempt cause I adjusted my study habits which in and of itself is a colossal achievement considering my ADHD. I would study, take practice test, and do labs on Testout all day if thats what it took to commit that shyt to memory and understand what i'm doing.

Finally got my A+. Threw my old warehouse-tailored resume in the bushes and got with a professional resume writer @ my tech school who made my shyt look spiffy as fukk; Started getting plenty of phone calls from both companies and recruiters (Yuck!). I had quite a few of them waste my time before I got my A+. so I peeped game and put my shyt on private for the mean time.

I already got my 1st IT job lined up with Hewlett-Packard through a solid, reputable IT-centric staffing agency paying $17:00 / Hour. and that's before getting my A+:banderas:.(networking goes a long way, another lesson I learned from my experience). Once I become permanent that starting rate is going to jump something serious. The only annoying thing is this long ass hiring process, but at least I already have the offer to accept. Im just sick of this warehouse shyt and ready to leave this shyt behind for good. The shyt I been through to secure my 1st entry level job in IT has been a rollercoaster ride for sure; All the interview burnout, rejection emails and getting turned down by all these offbrand ass companies only in the end to get an actual job offer from one of the top companies in Tech; particularly a brand I swear by anyways.

That showed me that you cant take job-hunting personally, You have to treat this shyt like fishing or cold approaching a ton of females at the mall. You gotta be firm and state boundaries and not let recruiters jerk you around trying to 'get you in for a so-called "interview" which is basically them putting you in their database to meet quotas and using bait and switch tactics. IF they cant give specifics over the phone, Bushes. Cold-calling about jobs im not qualified for and not interested in, Bushes. My time's valuable, Im not wasting precious gas driving all over this big ass city without knowing what im getting into.

On a lighter note, One of my connects recently hit me up with a 7 month contract-W2 Service Desk job paying $35 an hour:picard:, Hell of start for my 1st IT job , BUT its in Seattle, WA and I aint bout that life right now seeing as I just moved to Texas a little under a year ago. Now granted the desperate circumstances surrounding the position probably explains the high ass wage, but You get in where you fit in. Even though I turned it down, I'm still hype ass hell thinking how I havent even gotten my feet wet yet, but with the right connects Im getting damn good opportunities that could have a nikka eating swell. So I know Once I get fully cert'd up Im about to feast on these nikkas every chance I get. Im fukking the game up.

:blessed:

I know its a long read, but I seen everybody sharing their stories to motivate others and thought Id do the same.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am currently on the third phase for a cloud security position :sadcam:.

1 - recruiter pre-screen went great.
2- Interviewed with the hiring manager over the phone. A 30 minute interview, turned to an hour interview. He also gave me a 30 minute technical interview which he says I did really well.
3- Now I will be doing a panel interview with 4-5 people. It will be all technical interviews. It will be all about Cloud, Security, trouble shooting and Networking..

I don't work in security but I have the knowledge and certs.

Jesus - are all I.T interviews this in-depth :patrice: