IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Still new to AD. System admin at my job is overbearing with the infrastructure so my access to AD in the enviorment is limited to ADUC and WS08 R2 vms that I set up for labwork.

August will be here soon so I'm grinding. My plan is to knock out the MCSA cert by this summer, earn the CCNA be Sept then decide my career path from there. June will make 3 years in the IT industry and I'm still making slightly above entry level pay (huge L, I already know)

How much you making breh :leostare:

I'll give you the advice this Indian broad gave me. Start doing contract work. It's the easiest way to get a whole lot of experience real fast. Plus you'll make more. You hustle right, you can hit 100k+ in 3 more years.

Just sayin :nonikkas:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They done put a nikka in charge of the VOIP system here :youngsabo:

Well not really lol..its just basic support(adding numbers, vm etc) but its another thing to add on the resume and learn more about. :smugbiden:
Props, VoIP techs are in high demand. I troubleshoot basic issues at my job involving cisco unity and call manager

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Not sure if I posted this in here before but these 2 sites are pretty good

learndevnow.com about $129 a yr
pluralsight.com $29.99 a month.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Props, VoIP techs are in high demand. I troubleshoot basic issues at my job involving cisco unity and call manager

I'm the guy who designs this stuff so tech like you can play with :smugbiden:

The real money is the guy who designs the network not the guy who manages....ever thought about getting a CCNP-Voice?

it's not easy but you are guaranteed 6-figures with at least 5 years of experience :stylin:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The CCIE Security is no joke :to:

It's gonna take me an entire year to study for this shyt, and I'm still probably gonna fail my first time. This shyt is humbling me brehs. I thought I was a beast but there's so much shyt I don't know :sadbron:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
@bdizzle or anyone else who can help a breh out, how can I get my resume noticed by employers if I do not have any IT experience? I have my A+ and my MCTS Windows 7 certs but it seems like everyone is looking past me for more people who actually have experience...should I start to lie and maybe put on there that I have like 6 months to a year experience or would that be a bad move?

Last edited by a moderator:

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas
@bdizzle or anyone else who can help a breh out, how can I get my resume noticed by employers if I do not have any IT experience? I have my A+ and my MCTS Windows 7 certs but it seems like everyone is looking past me for more people who actually have experience...should I start to lie and maybe put on there that I have like 6 months to a year experience or would that be a bad move?

What are you gonna do if they put a computer in front of you and ask you to do something you don't know how to do? You'll be laughed out of the interview...

...just saying because when we were hiring a DBA at the place I work, my boss and I decided to test the interviewees by making them do some basic DBA type tasks.

...let's just say we laughed a lot of people out. And these resumes said they had 5-6 years of exp. (My boss was looking for someone with 2-5 years exp)

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

have you thought about volunteering at a place for a few hours a day?

There are something called white lies on resumes....if you can lab it up like a real production network, you can add some spice to your resume.

Post your current resume( with no name and contact info) I'm sure someone out here can help.
If you are looking for computer technician job...I will take apart a cheap working PC and put it back together..

In my current job they had me do certain tasks on a live network when I came in for an interview....the era of lying your way to a job seems to be over.
The corporate folks done catch up :to:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

add independent IT consultant to your resume and look for a deployment, refresh or break fix job. as long as you know how to set up a desktop, monitor and connect to a printer then you'll be fine, anything beyond that then they will train you and this will help you build your experience from there. these are typically contract jobs so once you land a job, add it to your resume and keep pushing it out.

and like chris b mentioned, post your resume so ppl can help you out.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Try a temp agency, they will find you odd-ball jobs. I once got a call about installing anti-virus software for Sallie mae( this was when I was starting out ).

- Try non-profit places/ network with local computer groups in your area. For example once or twice a month they hold a Linux users group meeting near me, sometimes people from the NSA and other tech companies come to the meetings and give presentations. Anybody is welcome to come. They also do non-profit projects for local libraries( setting up networks etc ). Imagine if you gave a nice presentation in front of them?

- Try Craigslist.

- Try Geek Squad...........anything!!!!

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Try local ISPs (Comcast, AT&T, etc.). They usually hire people w/o experience as long as you interview well. When I first got my phone tech support job I had no certs or experience.

I'd also take an IT class at your local community college, that's a great way to network and meet people in the industry. A lot of people that teach IT actually work in IT (or used to) and might put in a good word for you at their company if you impress them.