IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Try local ISPs (Comcast, AT&T, etc.). They usually hire people w/o experience as long as you interview well. When I first got my phone tech support job I had no certs or experience.

I'd also take an IT class at your local community college, that's a great way to network and meet people in the industry. A lot of people that teach IT actually work in IT (or used to) and might put in a good word for you at their company if you impress them.

if this guy found a 40k job in Detroit you need to follow every word he told you :lawd:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've only dealt with Cisco ASA's in the past. But have heard Checkpoint firewalls are much better.

Can you run Checkpoint Firewalls on an PC using an emulator like you can with Cisco ASA?

How good is Checkpoints documentation on their firewalls?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Im looking for a help desk job. I live in WA so the market is huge and I just cant manage to get one :shaq2:

My advise is a little bit unconventional but you guys with no exp and no education should should your local call centers and apply for a regular rep job then move on to a help desk gig. That's what I'm doing now :yeshrug:

ATearInMyEye

#KnicksTape
Daps
Reppin
Def Valley
My advise is a little bit unconventional but you guys with no exp and no education should should your local call centers and apply for a regular rep job then move on to a help desk gig. That's what I'm doing now :yeshrug:

Plus Rep

I have a general AA and in currently in the middle of my BS in I.T while working as a computer lab tech here at my school. Also work in the resource center. Though the lab tech doesnt deal with help desk type shyt, I know most of the troubleshoot shyt that Tier 1's deal with. Just fukking bullshyt that you need all this experience for an 'entry level' job.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Here's a good readup on the object-oriented thought process for all my coders out there :eat:

object-oriented_thought_process_3rd_edition.jpg

Object-Oriented Thought Process, 3rd Edition - Free Download eBook - pdf

semtex

:)
Daps
Who's good at interpreting Entity Relationship Diagrams? :why: Need help with a HW assignment

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I've only dealt with Cisco ASA's in the past. But have heard Checkpoint firewalls are much better.

Can you run Checkpoint Firewalls on an PC using an emulator like you can with Cisco ASA?

Checkpoint FW are better from a management perspective. You manage all of your policies in the smart dashboard, and push it to your devices. With Cisco, you gotta go to each ASA and make your rules. If you work for a big company with hundreds of firewalls, it'll become a pain real fast.

Here's the documentation for R75:

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.co...doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solutionid=sk58362#3

And yeah you can run it in a VM. I've ran R65 and R70 in a VM, you just gotta find the right ISO (I believe I used the SPLAT version). It runs as Linux.

The cool thing about it is you can have your ASA running in GNS3, your CheckPoint running in a VM, and have them communicate like they're on a live network.

I was using it to go for my CCSA cert, but CheckPoint be acting real funny style with their cert books.

Check Point eStore

$600 for the damn training kit :damn:.

After I pass my CCIE Security, I'll probably take the plunge and buy the book. I have way more Cisco experience than CheckPoint, and I think it's been holding me back a little bit in my career.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

Cisco firewalls are garbage....Cisco is only dominant in R/S...firewall is owned by checkpoint and other vendors.

The ASA has the worst GUI in the history of mankind :bryan:

SH!t looks like a bootleg software. The ASDM software is a joke.
We had ASA firewalls here....when I came in I threw them in the bushes and got checkpoint and fortinet firewalls which do the same thing for half the price...Checkpoint firewalls are also easy to learn. Take it from someone who is a Cisco geek stay away from their firewalls.

Only go to Cisco for R/S and voice