IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Checkpoint is definitely more user friendly than Cisco ASA. But not sure I trust them when it comes to IPS features. Anyone used Sourcefire appliances for IPS or can recommend any other vendors?

Last edited by a moderator:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Brehs, I just finished reading the best Java book I have ever read (took me about four days). Please do yourselves a favor and read this book if you are interested in a programming career. This is a GEM!! This will be in my library for a long time.

Introduction to Programming with Java: A Problem Solving Approach:

Introduction-to-Programming-with-Java-A-Problem-Solving-Approach.jpg

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Brehs, I just finished reading the best Java book I have ever read (took me about four days). Please do yourselves a favor and read this book if you are interested in a programming career. This is a GEM!! This will be in my library for a long time.

fukk Java :pacspit:

I hate programming :to:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

I could have watched a video and learned everything you learned in 1 or 2 days.

lol at reading programing books :bryan:

Took me 13 hrs to nail down bash :umad: video training is where it's at

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am thinking about making the switch brehs. How long would it take for an IT breh to make ~75K starting from the bottom? I feel like I could get A+ and Network+ just from what I know now about computers. I'm OK to take a pay cut, just not for too long (>3-4yrs)
Man y'all are killing this thread with post like this or questions similar to "what's the best route to 6 figures in IT? :dwillhuh:". Go back through and read what was posted earlier.
If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. If you're not truely interested in the field then your wasting your time as the IT wolves will eat u alive during interview demonstrations and you'll never get a call back. Dont believe what the people who dont work in the industry claims, IT is not a "hustle" and it takes dedication to your craft. If you're looking for a quick come up go be a promoter or rapper

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Man y'all are killing this thread with post like this or questions similar to "what's the best route to 6 figures in IT? :dwillhuh:". Go back through and read what was posted earlier.
If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. If you're not truely interested in the field then your wasting your time as the IT wolves will eat u alive during interview demonstrations and you'll never get a call back. Dont believe what the people who dont work in the industry claims, IT is not a "hustle" and it takes dedication to your craft. If you're looking for a quick come up go be a promoter or rapper

I keep telling these nikkas that but they don't listen. You can make 40-50k in 2-3 years yeah, but if you trying to get 100k plus you're going to have to put in work. That means getting good experience, passing the right certs, and making a career plan. You're not gonna jump in with no exp, an A+ and be making 100k off the jump.

I still laugh whenever I think of this nikka :russ:

Recently graduated with my bachelors in Political Science... :snoop:

Once I started looking at the job market :merchant: and what I can actually do without going to law school I realized I probably made a mistake. I have a decent job right now but it's probably not what I'd want to do forever.

If I start studying and knocking out certs how marketable could I be for non-help desk jobs?

LOL@Bash.......if you call that programming:heh:

Did this fukk nikka just compare a basic scripting language to Java :dwillhuh:? I swear some of y'all nikkas is borderline retarded.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I keep telling these nikkas that but they don't listen. You can make 40-50k in 2-3 years yeah, but if you trying to get 100k plus you're going to have to put in work. That means getting good experience, passing the right certs, and making a career plan. You're not gonna jump in with no exp, an A+ and be making 100k off the jump.

:lawd:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:salute:

A thank u to everyone in the thread again...
6 months i went from getting a finance degree to scrapping that and hopping into IT. I grabbed A+, net +, secur + and my CCNA.

I currently am in a Linux + class and a CEH class with a windows server 2008 class in june on my way to the degree in august.

Any suggestions on how to get into the industry jobwise? Im getting some bites on my resume but nothing in the support/help desk realm..

Anyone else in this situation or has been in the situation? What did u do?

• Dap
Reactions: ski

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:salute:

A thank u to everyone in the thread again...
6 months i went from getting a finance degree to scrapping that and hopping into IT. I grabbed A+, net +, secur + and my CCNA.

I currently am in a Linux + class and a CEH class with a windows server 2008 class in june on my way to the degree in august.

Any suggestions on how to get into the industry jobwise? Im getting some bites on my resume but nothing in the support/help desk realm..

Anyone else in this situation or has been in the situation? What did u do?

Keep sending out resumes breh. The hardest part is getting that first help desk job. The second hardest part is getting out of help desk. Just keep pushing, network with the cats in class with you, and ask them if they know of any good opportunities for people just starting out.

Also make sure your resume is on point. At this stage, your resume is all you have to go on, so it should be fukking perfect.

Also once you get a job, try not to be a fukk nikka. There's too many of em in IT already.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I know I would be years away from making decent money. I'm OK with that. I do like working with computers and have always been good. I have an active interest in data mining and think that is where I would specialize. But I think I would also enjoy setting up data centers or just doing help desk stuff. Only branch I'm not really crazy about is security. I am just wondering if its worth a switch from mechanical engineering. What I do is OK and potentially a growth channel but not like IT.

And I'm sorry, I don't think its reasonable to demand that someone go through 1200 posts to find info. There are def entry level jobs out there for crazy low pay :sadcam: But I am just trying to see what paths are out there, what the typical timelines are and what I have to do to get on them. I work hard and do a lot of learning on my own, just looking for some direction/insight. What is the game like now?