IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
This thread needs to be split up. To many people are getting programming/coding/software engineering mixed up with IT (networks/security/helpdesk) work. There should be a alternate thread for programming put into existence, imo.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
This thread needs to be split up. To many people are getting programming/coding/software engineering mixed up with IT (networks/security/helpdesk) work. There should be a alternate thread for programming put into existence, imo.

Maybe, but most people are just asking the same 'how do I get started' type questions. Nobody is really asking specific programming questions. It might be more beneficial to just give in and have a FAQ post at the beginning of the thread. I've answered the same exact questions about four or five times (I think you have as well).

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
has anyone else got these linux certificates https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications are they worth it?

At one point I though about getting the Linux+. But the Unix/Linux crowd is not as big on certs. Only linux cert i know that gets alot of respect is the RHCE. but good luck getting that. They say its just as hard as the CCIE's.

Edit: I would say go for them though. The worse thing that can happen is you learn something.lol

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
Never worked for any of those companies but I worked for AT&T which is a huge Cisco shop. Depending on what you do it can range from $20/hr up to probably well over $200+/hr. Troubleshooting routers is a very generic phrase. Are you trouble shooting hardware? Configuration? Performance? Architecture? Security? Fiber runs?

It can run from as basic as making sure all of the line cards and route processors on a router are functional to troubleshooting OC768 peering issues in their backbone, or mitigating a global DDOS attack against a key infrastructure client (IE trying to take someone like Colonial Pipeline down).

Regardless of what you do, learn TCP/IP very well. Be familiar with network architecture, how routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls, vpns, and proxies work. Understand the various features that all of those devices have, understand the pros and cons of the various hardware platforms (why would you pick an ISR over a nexus 7k), and make sure you understand the impact of a change down stream (what will happen to your frame relay network if you migrate from EIGRP to OSPF. How would the architecture need to change to ensure the IGP performs well with the knew routing protocol).

But like I always say, don't listen to me. I'm just another lost nikka :nonikkas:

props

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

It all fallls under IT breh. Software Engineering is IT, just like Help Desk databases, and everything else in between

Daps
Reppin
NULL
At one point I though about getting the Linux+. But the Unix/Linux crowd is not as big on certs. Only linux cert i know that gets alot of respect is the RHCE. but good luck getting that. They say its just as hard as the CCIE's.

Edit: I would say go for them though. The worse thing that can happen is you learn something.lol

thanks for the advice also does anyone know if its possible to get a job with just certs and no degree.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
Have you been before ? My professor said one of her students went down there and got a job with BOA.

Yea I went to one in Vegas..I have a whole lot of Cisco certs...It will be nice to meet some of the authors of the books/Video that I have read and watch.

I'm very interested in meeting Kevin Wallace :wow: assuming he makes it