IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Word of advice..look at people's recommendation letter before they send it out. I asked the same people I asked to send me a recommendation later for the last graduate program I applied to and they were fukking wack...at low level schools, it would pass but at top schools. You aren't getting in with that lol.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Also for those that want to pursue a bachelor or masters, look at online schooling some good schools have good programs at cheaper prices. I would have love this to be an option 4-5 years ago.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Anyone here work two remote jobs? My goal will be to eventually work two remote jobs if possible so I can double dip.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Anyone here work two remote jobs? My goal will be to eventually work two remote jobs if possible so I can double dip.
I did, brought a laptop to work and I used a wireless router for security purposes, against company policy.

Make sure one job doesn't have much communication outside of emails, don't be caught slipping while at a meeting with one company and you can't respond for an hour. Also check if they have a non-compete. Be smart and if it doesn't work out know when to dead one of the jobs.

Some days they would allow me to work remotely (main job) thinking I was at school. At one point I was doing 3 jobs (2 actual employment and last one was after work project for a company)

I'd do it if you have the time or energy 100% worth it.

You will probably have to expand your setup, make sure you aren't interjecting task together

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I did, brought a laptop to work and I used a wireless router for security purposes, against company policy.

Make sure one job doesn't have much communication outside of emails, don't be caught slipping while at a meeting with one company and you can't respond for an hour. Also check if they have a non-compete. Be smart and if it doesn't work out know when to dead one of the jobs.

Some days they would allow me to work remotely (main job) thinking I was at school. At one point I was doing 3 jobs (2 actual employment and last one was after work project for a company)

You will probably have to expand your setup, make sure you aren't interjecting task together

Well this company is interviewing me and it would be all remote unless I am at a client spot. I want to low keep my current job to make some more money. I work from home 2 to sometime three times a week lol. If I can double dip, that would be good. I am also thinking grad school but if I can make money instead of studying and getting debt, I might just prefer to that.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Well this company is interviewing me and it would be all remote unless I am at a client spot. I want to low keep my current job to make some more money. I work from home 2 to sometime three times a week lol. If I can double dip, that would be good. I am also thinking grad school but if I can make money instead of studying and getting debt, I might just prefer to that.
I’d do it just like I said if it becomes a problem make the smart decision

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
congrats man
I don't think i'm gonna pursue it. They talking about 90-95k with a bonus that would put it at 100k but no OT. Plus I REALLY like where I am and have a ton of freedom.

If I leave somebody gonna have to come with that BAG. Im talking $60+ per hour on W2 with OT available, and a nice ass 401k match included.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I don't think i'm gonna pursue it. They talking about 90-95k with a bonus that would put it at 100k but no OT. Plus I REALLY like where I am and have a ton of freedom.

If I leave somebody gonna have to come with that BAG. Im talking $60+ per hour on W2 with OT available, and a nice ass 401k match included.
Hey nothing better than having the security to turn offers down and know your worth. Nothing but respect for that.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Almost been a year since I've been at this job. I think I'm ready to venture off somewhere else. My life literally feels like

Dont know what steps to take though since I want to move more into SysAdmin or more into a IT Analyst role to sharpen my skills, but my only experience is in QA/Production Support.

I'm finally going to take the A+ CCNA, Sec+, MCSA, or RHCSA next month. Havent applied yet anywhere since I'm modifying my resume right now.

You figure out what to specialize in yet?

If not, consider application security. It would make sense progression wise. Ol boy at my last job had a QA background. He ain't know shyt, but he still got the job. Read the Web Application Hacker Handbook. That will have you ready for interviews.

I wfh now and want a 2nd job, eventually, but we have a non compete. Can I get around that with C2C consulting?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Had an interview with a big name ISP yesterday for a network engineer role :ohhh: shyt was pretty simple what they were asking me, I kinda thought it would have been a harder interview

1 of them was a brother interviewing me:myman:

Seems like I'd have less freedom there and where Im at not but having a big name on the resume is always good. Plus ISP network engineer work differs from enterprise network engineer work.

Guess we'll see what happens from here