IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Software Development or Systems/Security?

which one would be good for someone trying to enter the IT field and is the most stable?

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Damn that's a lot of time studying, but understand you gotta work long to get it done quick.

I'm gonna take the Google It cert as well, they said studying 8-10 hours a week would get me done in 8-12 months.

I know the A+ can be done faster, so I wanted to do that at the same time as my google, but focus on the A+ more because I can get that quicker.

If you were in my position, how would you do the hours for both ?

Would you still do the 10 hours every day for your A+ and then do the Google for the 8-10 a week ? Or would you do something different ?

Yes the vids are on youtube. Powercert Net+ and the messor vids
Watch em and take notes
Do some practice exams online messor got a bunch of that too

I stopped watching tv and listening to music during the week
So I was getting about 10-11 hours of studying daily
Try and see if you can do that for a week
If not I'd recommend a class

I did mine in a class but it was 15 weeks for the A+ and Net+
Last 4 weeks for the Net+

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yes the vids are on youtube. Powercert Net+ and the messor vids
Watch em and take notes
Do some practice exams online messor got a bunch of that too

I stopped watching tv and listening to music during the week
So I was getting about 10-11 hours of studying daily
Try and see if you can do that for a week
If not I'd recommend a class

I did mine in a class but it was 15 weeks for the A+ and Net+
Last 4 weeks for the Net+
:skip: When you say you were studying 10-11 hours a day for the A+ are you counting the hours you spent daily at Per Scholas? Because 10 hours a day studying for the A+ is WAY overkill.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Software Development or Systems/Security?

which one would be good for someone trying to enter the IT field and is the most stable?
both are stable.

Think about what you want to do though.
If you can code and you enjoy it go that direction, if you hate it or your eyes glaze over when discussing it, look at systems or security

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A technical sourcer at a big company added me on LinkedIn last night and then didn't say anything. What the hell?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:skip: When you say you were studying 10-11 hours a day for the A+ are you counting the hours you spent daily at Per Scholas? Because 10 hours a day studying for the A+ is WAY overkill.

Yea im counting the per scholas hours...I did the 10 hours on weekends for the Net+ bc it was only a month of preparing for that

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
both are stable.

If you can code and you enjoy it go that direction, if you hate it or your eyes glaze over when discussing it, look at systems or security
both are stable.

I’ve never coded or done anything computer related before. I’m thinking about leaving the education field for the IT field.

The school I work at said they’ll hire me to work with the IT dude in the summer to help him with whatever he needs. I’m going to see what the fuss is all about

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I’ve never coded or done anything computer related before. I’m thinking about leaving the education field for the IT field.

The school I work at said they’ll hire me to work with the IT dude in the summer to help him with whatever he needs. I’m going to see what the fuss is all about
Its a great field but changes are coming, if you can really learn the network and server deployment/config stuff.
I'm looking at going to add virtualization certs to my IT management tract that I'm working on.

Mané Swagincha

6 times
Daps
Planning on getting into IT, I even signed up for those Coursera courses and they will actually be my first dive into the IT world, so i guess my question is about the job market and what courses and positions are most popping now. I’m 32 and thinking about doing a 2 year technical course in something related to IT as well, though I dont want to jump into anything super technical because i dont want to waste anytime tbh, unless its really worth it. I alrady have a bachelors in IR, and don’t feel like doing another 4 year uni.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Planning on getting into IT, I even signed up for those Coursera courses and they will actually be my first dive into the IT world, so i guess my question is about the job market and what courses and positions are most popping now. I’m 32 and thinking about doing a 2 year technical course in something related to IT as well, though I dont want to jump into anything super technical because i dont want to waste anytime tbh, unless its really worth it. I alrady have a bachelors in IR, and don’t feel like doing another 4 year uni.
That Google IT Support Professional certificate that Coursea is offering is the equivalent of a 2 or 3-semster IT undergraduate certificate from a community college or JUCO. So no reason to back to school for a 2-year technical course if you're trying to get into IT.

Last edited:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Hit up your local junior college, try to get in to a MCSA or Cisco cert course if you want to get into the game. They usually tell you the prerequisites required.

You Win Perfect

bow down
Daps
That Google IT Support Professional certificate that Coursea is offering is the equivalent of a 2 or 3-semster IT undergraduate certificate from a community college or JUCO. So no reason to back to school for a 2-year technical course if you're trying to get into IT.
im almost done with the IT Support Professional certificate thing. def will taking some scripting/coding courses after this one.