IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Balla

Superstar
Daps
U think it's possible to both at the same time? I know the A+ Will be quicker, and I can get a job with it, then continue to do the google.

Only if the Google cert is being paid by financial aid. That shyt not holding weight til many have it.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was thinking something along the lines of this:
preview
preview

Not necessarily the design but the layout; one side would be my name and title, the other side with contact information.
shyt even the vertical standard cards got me thinking now :patrice:
preview

I hope these pictures stay active for a little while since I just pulled the image address from Vista Print :sadcam:

You're really named Obreh Winfrey tho... :patrice:

KingB137

All Star
Daps
I'm trying to become more familiar with Java. Any recommended Books/Websites?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I didn't get this one. It was a support position at Google. Would've had to move to Cali or Michigan.

I ended up staying in NYC and getting in at a online retailer. I'm a week into it now. Great benefits and 10k more than my last job. It's really chill and laid back. Plus, they have money, so I can implement things properly.

But support isn't as lucrative as any other field in tech. Even though I just started, I've been planning projects for myself, so that I can use the little coding/scripting skills that I have. I'm pretty much plotting resume improvement projects.

It's a great job. But for me: it would've been great 18 months ago.

Out here too, just got the A+ and Net+ whats your background?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
:huhldup: Yeah folks on the Techexams forums are saying the current Network+ is harder than CCENT/CCNA.

I just got that shyt in February. Pearson themselves said they made it too hard out of a class of 18 ^ passed it.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just past my Security+. Passed just by 11 points but a win is a win. Whats yall thoughts on this CSA+? Im trying to decide on what to go after next.

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Been lurking this thread for years. Just got my first IT gig. Service Desk at a very large company, and luckily I won't have to answer any calls. $23/hour

Good looking out to everybody dropping gems in here :salute:

In search of my first, whats your background, and where are you based?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah I'll be managing user accounts and granting application access. Don't have my degree yet, but I'm only about 30 credits away. Started going part time this semester so I could job hunt. I actually do have a cert (MTA) but it's not even on my resume so it didn't help. I think location matters. I heard Chicago is a pretty good market for entry level IT. I know other people doing help desk without degrees and they're all getting $17-$20/hour.

I did embellish my resume a bit tho. :lolbron:Not gonna lie. Nothing on there that I can't do tho.

What did you list on your resume?

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Got hired for my first tech position. Level 1 tech :D. I have no certs or experience either :jawalrus:.
Also I'm going to be the only black guy in the tech team of 15 people :wow:

Is this how the road to success starts :ahh:

How long were you looking before you landed it and where are u based?

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Was the A+ hard? How long it take? I want that shyt asap.

Got the A+ and Net+ for free in NYC at Per Scholas.

Currently trying to get my first full time job. How did you guys get your first jobs?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:huhldup: Yeah folks on the Techexams forums are saying the current Network+ is harder than CCENT/CCNA.

I just got that shyt in February. Pearson themselves said they made it too hard out of a class of 18 ^ passed it.

What?? How many folks out of a class of 18 passed it? I don't understand what that symbol means.

Did you gotta link or info where Pearson themselves said they made it too hard? I plan on going straight into N+ after A+, I'm thinking about should I study & do the upcoming N10-007 Net+ exam instead of the current N10-006.