IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Good shyt man.

I think I remember you were looking for a job before, what kind of job u have now?
Grocery Store :mjlol:
Hours are good tho, got no kids and I'm in young 20s. All is not lost, wish I had applied myself in highschool.
Edit:
Go through this thread. Lots of good gems.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
That's weird, I happen to see more people on the first course than the second. Do they just say fukk it after the 1st course?
Probably still soaking it in, shyt is 15 hours. 901 is more on hardware and 902 is more on software.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Debian is probably the most frustrated experience I've had on a PC in a long time. My boss wants me to learn it, says unbuntu is too easy and I'm trying to install LEMP.

I'm glad I got my foot in the door but dammit I don't wanna do this. I wanna get a liux machine popping full time and ditch windows.

Also boss wants me to learn Gentoo:francis:

Some real nerd ass nikkas at my job. Better jump straight to big money this time next year.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Looking into the MCSA, is this good in the market from you guys perspective? Current;y been in IT for 3 years. Making decent money, but unsure if I should do MCSA or Security+

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Looking into the MCSA, is this good in the market from you guys perspective? Current;y been in IT for 3 years. Making decent money, but unsure if I should do MCSA or Security+
I'd do security+ first

Spin

All Star
Daps
Why would you choose one over the other?

The question is what do you want to do in IT? If it's security related then yes the Security + might make the most sense. If you want to be a Windows Admin, then the MCSA would make sense. Or if you want to do Linux then Red Hat certs.

If it's just a higher paying job (doing the same thing) then all you likely need to do is adjust your resume.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
The question is what do you want to do in IT? If it's security related then yes the Security + might make the most sense. If you want to be a Windows Admin, then the MCSA would make sense. Or if you want to do Linux then Red Hat certs.

If it's just a higher paying job (doing the same thing) then all you likely need to do is adjust your resume.

I think end-game may be system admin, but I wonder about job security.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Why would you choose one over the other?
Because it's vendor neutral. Remember I said first not only it. You should get MCSA but if you don't plan to get more Microsoft certs then don't rush for it.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Debian is probably the most frustrated experience I've had on a PC in a long time. My boss wants me to learn it, says unbuntu is too easy and I'm trying to install LEMP.

I'm glad I got my foot in the door but dammit I don't wanna do this. I wanna get a liux machine popping full time and ditch windows.

Also boss wants me to learn Gentoo:francis:

Some real nerd ass nikkas at my job. Better jump straight to big money this time next year.
May be annoying now but it will look good on your resume. Keep your mind on the paper. Take 15-30 minute breaks when learning new stuff, you got it breh.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
How long do you study for? I have a hard time sitting down at a computer too long If I'm not getting paid lol.

May be annoying now but it will look good on your resume. Keep your mind on the paper. Take 15-30 minute breaks when learning new stuff, you got it breh.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
How long do you study for? I have a hard time sitting down at a computer too long If I'm not getting paid lol.
Then don't study at a computer. Study on the couch. If you're using your phone or laptop, purchase a chrome cast. Plug that bytch to the TV and cast your bullshyt on to the TV. Keep water nearby (if you own a sports bottle use it). If you're following some video or video course. Take notes as you go to double on retaining the info. Take a break after every section, if no sections then take a break after every 30 min - hour. During your break get up and do something, you're already resting during studying since you're on the couch. Good luck breh.
Edit:
If you use udemy to learn.
Laptop + HDMI hooked to tv is better than chrome cast.

Last edited:

Balla

Superstar
Daps
One question bruh, this is one of the only times I ever self studied for anything and was gonna take a test. I never took notes for shyt, how do you know what's important to jot down or not.

Appreciate it brother.

Then don't study at a computer. Study on the couch. If you're using your phone or laptop, purchase a chrome cast. Plug that bytch to the TV and cast your bullshyt on to the TV. Keep water nearby (if you own a sports bottle use it). If you're following some video or video course. Take notes as you go to double on retaining the info. Take a break after every section, if no sections then take a break after every 30 min - hour. During your break get up and do something, you're already resting during studying since you're on the couch. Good luck breh.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
One question bruh, this is one of the only times I ever self studied for anything and was gonna take a test. I never took notes for shyt, how do you know what's important to jot down or not.

Appreciate it brother.
I would say what's hard to memorize instantly and/or seems is a key point.