IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Is it worth studying the A+ at the same time as taking the Google it cert?

I know you can get the A+ faster because Google said it'll take 8-12 months, that's why I'm asking.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
The first one

For net plus we used Mike Meyers and Pearson
:dwillhuh: Y'all had to read 2 books for Network+ or did y'all have use the 2 books for different reasons?
Pearson is easier to understand but we used it with the Meyers book. For cross reference. Pearson exams youtube and Mike Meyers book you be ok to pass the Net plus
:ohhh:I just on Amazon that Keith Barker from CBT Nuggets co-wrote the Pearson Network+ book. I might have to watch CBT Nuggets video on Net+

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
How often do you study on these courses?

I want to buy hella courses and take them, my thing is I never taught myself anything. I only was taught in school, and my discipline is trash, I gotta find a way to sit my ass down and stick to the computer learning theses courses.

Edit: I completely misread your question. I study as often as I can. I have no wife or kids so I have time in my hands. I also enjoy the subject. Plus I am desperate to get out of my current position so that makes me focus a little more.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Du'An Lightfoot dropped a new video with YouTuber DVZNMedia as a guest:

DVZNMedia gives us a live look at the New Google IT Certification course. He covers the first five weeks of course on coursera.

Looks like the labs in the Google IT Support Professional cert course on Coursera are VMs on Google Cloud Platform.

• Dap
Reactions: .r.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
What's your current position and what's so bad about it?

I'm trying to get started in this IT shyt, I think helpdesk is the first step, but I heard people hate that.

Edit: I completely misread your question. I study as often as I can. I have no wife or kids so I have time in my hands. I also enjoy the subject. Plus I am desperate to get out of my current position so that makes me focus a little more.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
What's your current position and what's so bad about it?

I'm trying to get started in this IT shyt, I think helpdesk is the first step, but I heard people hate that.

Cant get into specifics because it would be a dead give away. I work in building the physical infrastructure of a network. The portion I work is too specific. Therefore if I get too old doing what I am doing, I will have no mobility.

My goal is to work as a Cloud Engineer/Cloud Security Engineering. This means I can work for hundreds of company...not four like right now. These cacs will use you and spit you right back out n leave you with no options.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Sounds tough.

You have any advice for me with getting out of certain roles before age becomes a problem ?

Cant get into specifics because it would be a dead give away. I work in building the physical infrastructure of a network. The portion I work is too specific. Therefore if I get too old doing what I am doing, I will have no mobility.

My goal is to work as a Cloud Engineer/Cloud Security Engineering. This means I can work for hundreds of company...not four like right now. These cacs will use you and spit you right back out n leave you with no options.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My mother always tries to throw shade at me (unintentionally probably though) when I talk about my career. I'm back in a support role but it is high level Hadoop and customer facing operations. Much of my discussions with my manager now are coaching sessions and open discussions.

I told my mother that in my last Engineering role at Oracle when I had a conversation with my boss it was always negative. I sort of get nervous in my current role with those discussions even though my boss hasn't given me any sort of negative remarks or reasoning. I'm just used to it from my last boss.

She started asking me if I had any concern about it. Clearly wasn't listening. Then she later set when I'm settled I should get a degree, which if you know my history here I have discussed that a few times since my father died and it's something that he wanted because he believed in me.

Anyways I know I get defensive about it because it sort of undermines and dismisses my accomplishments. I was making almost half of what I was making over two years ago and now I'm in the six figures range because of my hard work. I know people with Master's and who are professors who make less than me. Not to gloat, but tech is a hard career and you can't get there being half ass. I just wish she would recognize that more I guess.

I just don't think at this time right now I'm willing to take on the debt of college right now amongst other things. I have to be strategic about it. My work will pay for some eventually as well.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I was going to do plastic. I have a domain for website that I was going to put some projects from school on, but I may not put it on my card. And I was iffy about putting my job title on the card as i dont want to pigeon hole me.
I was thinking something along the lines of this:
preview
preview

Not necessarily the design but the layout; one side would be my name and title, the other side with contact information.
shyt even the vertical standard cards got me thinking now :patrice:
preview

I hope these pictures stay active for a little while since I just pulled the image address from Vista Print :sadcam:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I was thinking something along the lines of this:
preview
preview

Not necessarily the design but the layout; one side would be my name and title, the other side with contact information.
shyt even the vertical standard cards got me thinking now :patrice:
preview

I hope these pictures stay active for a little while since I just pulled the image address from Vista Print :sadcam:

I Ordered this black and gold joint from there made of plastic.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Would studying for the A+, then taking the test, while doing the Google It certification at the same time, smart?

It seems to me the A+ will get you into the door more than the Google cert.
Only if the Google cert is being paid by financial aid. That shyt not holding weight til many have it.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
My mother always tries to throw shade at me (unintentionally probably though) when I talk about my career. I'm back in a support role but it is high level Hadoop and customer facing operations. Much of my discussions with my manager now are coaching sessions and open discussions.

I told my mother that in my last Engineering role at Oracle when I had a conversation with my boss it was always negative. I sort of get nervous in my current role with those discussions even though my boss hasn't given me any sort of negative remarks or reasoning. I'm just used to it from my last boss.

She started asking me if I had any concern about it. Clearly wasn't listening. Then she later set when I'm settled I should get a degree, which if you know my history here I have discussed that a few times since my father died and it's something that he wanted because he believed in me.

Anyways I know I get defensive about it because it sort of undermines and dismisses my accomplishments. I was making almost half of what I was making over two years ago and now I'm in the six figures range because of my hard work. I know people with Master's and who are professors who make less than me. Not to gloat, but tech is a hard career and you can't get there being half ass. I just wish she would recognize that more I guess.

I just don't think at this time right now I'm willing to take on the debt of college right now amongst other things. I have to be strategic about it. My work will pay for some eventually as well.
Don't sweat it. No disrespect to your mama but all undermine men's accomplishments and hardships. Talk is cheap but your six figure range salary ain't :wow:. Don't bother sharing shyt like that with Mama again imo.