IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Is the Google IT Support Professional Cert better than getting CompTIA certs? Will employers value this Google cert more?

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
How long they take to get back to you

I think a week and a half/two weeks. It wasn't long.

Is the Google IT Support Professional Cert better than getting CompTIA certs? Will employers value this Google cert more?

A+ - Maybe

Network+/Security+/Others - No

For me I see it as another tool in my repertoire. It covers pretty much everything you need to know for a Tier I help desk rep (and possibly Tier II). I'm already a network analyst but I'm getting this to certify my existing troubleshooting skills.

A+ is good for break/fix/repair positions, like Geek Squad.

Net+ is a very good cert, and is helpful if you're interested in network management/server management. It's a good starting point if you want to get Cisco certs.

Sec+, especially when paired with Net+, might be one of the more valuable certs CompTIA offers. It's good if you want to go the infosec route (CISSP, Certified Ethical Hacker, Penetration Testing :dame:, etc.)

All three are good to have no matter what part of IT you're interested in, though.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
A+ - Maybe

Network+/Security+/Others - No

For me I see it as another tool in my repertoire. It covers pretty much everything you need to know for a Tier I help desk rep (and possibly Tier II). I'm already a network analyst but I'm getting this to certify my existing troubleshooting skills.

A+ is good for break/fix/repair positions, like Geek Squad.

Net+ is a very good cert, and is helpful if you're interested in network management/server management. It's a good starting point if you want to get Cisco certs.

Sec+, especially when paired with Net+, might be one of the more valuable certs CompTIA offers. It's good if you want to go the infosec route (CISSP, Certified Ethical Hacker, Penetration Testing :dame:, etc.)

All three are good to have no matter what part of IT you're interested in, though.

IMO the Google IT Support Professional Cert shouldn't be compared to professional certs like the CompTIA certs. It should be compared to getting a 2 or 3-semester undergraduate IT certificate from a community college or JUCO.

Daps
Bout to hit up that SANS SEC504 training in Dallas next week. :wow:

If I can knock out the cert associated with that (GCIH), plus get my CISSP and at least knock out my CCIE Security Written this year. :banderas:
I want to do the sans certs but the classes are so damn expensive 5k+:dahell: have you taken any of them before breh? I don't want to waste my money on stuff that won't teach me more than I can figure out from labbing.

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
I want to do the sans certs but the classes are so damn expensive 5k+:dahell: have you taken any of them before breh? I don't want to waste my money on stuff that won't teach me more than I can figure out from labbing.
This is going to be my second one. I did one here in Austin in December.
Those joints are high, but what you need to look at doing is the Work Study program. You get to sit the class, get the exam for free, and all of the on-demand training for $1500. You do have to do a little work but most of that is on the first 2 days.

Work Study

I recommend this for anyone looking to go to a SANS Conference. With everything all said and done, I saved about over 6k for the upcoming conference going through the Work Study program.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I been really thinking about it. fukk fixing printers and laptops. Besides doing the red hat cert path, what other cert path ways can I go? Can I just get network+ or/and security+ cert(s) and get a better entry level job in the field?
Edit:
I'll start with A+, fukk it

Last edited:

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
School is offering free Network+ class and waiver for cert test. I feel like it might be difficult but I wanna get this cert so I can find a job doing computer involved work. Six 4 hour classes from yesterday to the first.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
School is offering free Network+ class and waiver for cert test. I feel like it might be difficult but I wanna get this cert so I can find a job doing computer involved work. Six 4 hour classes from yesterday to the first.
Do it. Even if don't take the test, you're going to see if networking is something you would want to do.

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
Do it. Even if don't take the test, you're going to see if networking is something you would want to do.
Yeah I went Tuesday. Going tonight. Have y'all lady ever got upset with you for being on your computer too much? Lol next time my girl do it she gotta bounce she be wanting attention I'm trying to better my life to help her better hers lol

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Yeah I went Tuesday. Going tonight. Have y'all lady ever got upset with you for being on your computer too much? Lol next time my girl do it she gotta bounce she be wanting attention I'm trying to better my life to help her better hers lol
All the time. They'll deal with it.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I’m tryna get started with this shyt ... don’t even know where to begin :snoop:
Study for the CompTIA A+ Certification

Breh's technique might not be for everybody

The-CompTIA-Certification-Roadmap-2015.jpg

The-CompTIA-Certification-Roadmap-2015-2.jpg

Alternative to courses
Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 A+ Certification Training Course: Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-901 A+ Certification Training Course - YouTube

Idk any free sources for 220-902

Last edited: