IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Spin

All Star
Daps
Just got approved for financial aid for the Google IT Support Professional Cert :bpbanderas:

You guys might want to jump on this offer from Google. I just checked out the videos and the course looks solid. Real world skills you can use.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:myman: I just passed my MTA Windows Server Admin exam (Exam 98-365) 20 minutes ago with a 85%.

It looks they recently just updated the exam to cover Windows Server 2016/Windows 10. I been studying for Windows Server 2008 R2/Windows 7 this whole time & still passed.

:jawalrus:This MTA cert qualifies me for a Level 2 Desktop Support job at a MSP that's 20 minutes away from my crib. They must value the MTA cert over the A+ cert because A+ only gets you a Level 1 Desktop Support job with them. I'll study & knock out this MTA Cloud/Office 365 cert next though before I start serously pursuing jobs though.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Brehs

I work at a home building store , real small company less than 50 employees. Im the youngest cat there and the old heads that do the it work keep fukkin shyt up. I let them know I know more than them and that Im studying for CCENT and they want me to do the IT work now. With a raise.

One of the problems one of my supervisors told me was that the servers dont automatically backup every morning like they are supposed to. They use SQL Server 2012 and I think I done googled enough and watch YT to figure out how to fix THAT .

Now brehs i need some quick course or some shyt on how to deal with some of this shyt . Who got the recommendations i got the rep . Mind you they aint asking for education, certs, none of that. shyt they tryna give me like $20 and I get paid $12.50 now with mandatory 50 hour weeks . Weekly pay

:feedme:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Brehs do y'all recommend the ITIL certs for SysAdmins (or aspiring SysAdmins)? I assumed the ITIL certs were for IT management (or folks wanting to get into IT management), but prepping for the MTA Windows Server Admin cert exam has made me realize that the info in the ITIL probably also applies to SysAdmins too.

It never hurts to at least have the Foundations Cert as pretty much every company is or says they are trying to run an ITIL organization.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I’m studying up on it right now. Sign up for linuxacademy, it’s worth every penny that it costs. I think you can find a promo for $175 annual subscription

What’s your current role?

thanks breh imma look into the linuxacademy all the videos i have seen for ansible are shyt

and im a network engineer

Spin

All Star
Daps

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
What technical skill should i know for a help desk position?
how to replace components or build a computer system.
You should be familiar with windows and OS's in general to be able to troubleshoot general issues, like installing drivers, installing devices, and removing software, viruses and malware.
Also you should be pretty good in navigating people who might not know shyt about computers into telling you what you need to know.

The specifics will be taught to you by the business, but you have the skills I mentioned and you'll be good for an entry level position.

Again I can't stress to you guys, try to get into the government contracting game and get those clearances.