IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
To the guys that don't have any networking or certs yet my best advice is the work on your basic certs and look up all the call centers in your city. Every call center needs help desk tech to help out. Even if they aren't hiring for techs at the time go ahead and start at a customer service position. It will get you familiar with the tools they use and the systems they support so you can post out of the position and land a gig if you are good enough

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To the guys that don't have any networking or certs yet my best advice is the work on your basic certs and look up all the call centers in your city. Every call center needs help desk tech to help out. Even if they aren't hiring for techs at the time go ahead and start at a customer service position. It will get you familiar with the tools they use and the systems they support so you can post out of the position and land a gig if you are good enough

that's what I've been looking for out here in cali.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The new job I started is fukking bullshyt. Been there less than 2 weeks and already planning to quit. I doubt I make it to March 1st. They hit me with the bait and switch, got me doing programming and shyt. I AIN'T NO DAMN DEVELOPER BREH :damn:

shyt's definitely DEMONIC

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The new job I started is fukking bullshyt. Been there less than 2 weeks and already planning to quit. I doubt I make it to March 1st. They hit me with the bait and switch, got me doing programming and shyt. I AIN'T NO DAMN DEVELOPER BREH :damn:

shyt's definitely DEMONIC

Why don't you learn? Is the money good at least?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Why don't you learn? Is the money good at least?

I know how to code, I just hate doing it. Ima security cat. The money is aight, but not enough for me to hate my job over. I'm at 60/hr but I can that damn near anywhere else. If I push down the security role heavier ill hit 100/hr in a year or two so naw it ain't worth it.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I know how to code, I just hate doing it. Ima security cat. The money is aight, but not enough for me to hate my job over. I'm at 60/hr but I can that damn near anywhere else. If I push down the security role heavier ill hit 100/hr in a year or two so naw it ain't worth it.

oh okay, I see. That's fukked up how they doing you :wow:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

Just throw that out there so easily :bryan:

What certs you have breh?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
only 3 weeks in and bdizzle is right about help desk positions. I can see this wearing off fast

It's a necessary step, though. You'll be alright.

Damn...I either didn't know about this thread or forgot about it. Thinking of making a switch out of IT. Passion is not there anymore and in Canada they try to suck the fukking life out of you. Money is good, but should be better.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just throw that out there so easily :bryan:

What certs you have breh?

I'm going on 9 years of experience breh, I've been in the game for a minute. Plus I'm a consultant, we make more money, but get 0 benefits/retirement so it's a trade off. I have my CISSP and CCNP Security. I have a couple other ones, but for what I do they really don't matter. I'm planning to get 2 more this year and I'll be done forever probably.

Bobhoward

Baseball Ready
Daps
Recently graduated with my bachelors in Political Science... :snoop:

Once I started looking at the job market :merchant: and what I can actually do without going to law school I realized I probably made a mistake. I have a decent job right now but it's probably not what I'd want to do forever.

If I start studying and knocking out certs how marketable could I be for non-help desk jobs?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Recently graduated with my bachelors in Political Science... :snoop:

Once I started looking at the job market :merchant: and what I can actually do without going to law school I realized I probably made a mistake. I have a decent job right now but it's probably not what I'd want to do forever.

If I start studying and knocking out certs how marketable could I be for non-help desk jobs?

:heh::pachaha::russ: