IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
Have you picked up any skills? Do you know what you want to do?

right now my concentration is supply chain management. i have a bit of experience in SAP and a few other ERP software. been building comps since i was 10 years about. have a good/great knowledge with windows in general. linux not so much. besides that just general business stuff/computer stuff.

not too many skills specifically for my major (in terms of program/system specific training but i figure i'd pick that up on the job)

i want a few certs to up my resume though

i also got a minor in philosophy, might get the double major, only need 3 more classes :manny:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
right now my concentration is supply chain management. i have a bit of experience in SAP and a few other ERP software. been building comps since i was 10 years about. have a good/great knowledge with windows in general. linux not so much. besides that just general business stuff/computer stuff.

not too many skills specifically for my major (in terms of program/system specific training but i figure i'd pick that up on the job)

i want a few certs to up my resume though

i also got a minor in philosophy, might get the double major, only need 3 more classes :manny:

:fire: we use SAP at my work. I hate it. As an end user of course.

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
Carné Asada;3258661 said:
:fire: we use SAP at my work. I hate it. As an end user of course.

i must say i was not too impressed with the GUI for SAP when i used it :yeshrug:

for such a high profile company/piece of software i thought it would be a lot easier to use

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i must say i was not too impressed with the GUI for SAP when i used it :yeshrug:

for such a high profile company/piece of software i thought it would be a lot easier to use

yep, I guess the company used eclipse prior to SAP and its night and day. But I guess its still in transition over here. There are tons of jobs for SAP.

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
Carné Asada;3258714 said:
yep, I guess the company used eclipse prior to SAP and its night and day. But I guess its still in transition over here. There are tons of jobs for SAP.

the school i'm at has one of the highest ranked BIT programs but my grades aren't too good due to slacking/switching between majors i didn't give a fukk about :snoop:

i'm hoping i can sell myself based on school and my own experience with computers

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I think I will be changing my major to IT or computer engineering. Even if I don't major in IT I still want some knowledge about how it works.

Do we have anyone working in healthcare or for the government?

Truth be told, the industry you're working in doesn't matter. I've worked in healthcare, government, financial, manufacturing, and telecom. If you're in IT you'll pretty much always be doing the same thing. The differences come into play when you have to implement things to be in compliance with various regulations (HIPAA, SOX, PCI, GLBA, FISMA, etc). But that's usually handled by the security team (or sometimes compliance team) and essentially they all say the same thing: don't be an idiot with other peoples data.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thanks, I'm debating whether to start on the ICDN1/ICDN2 or go towards the 70-680. I'm about finished with comptia (security +) and I would like to save the more difficult one for last.

:obama:

Respect.
It seems like we are one in the same lol. I am in both classes right now for school (matter off fact right off the security+ also

I picked ICND1/2....dont have an IT job yet, so i went to swallow the biggest frog:yeshrug:

I figure....if i bang out CCNA 1st...
I can already have that on my resume before I take the Microsoft ones (desktop/server/active dir). Since they are all in the same realm I feel that would make them easier to study for.

Also, groupon has a good deal on an online Cisco class...CCNA/Voice/Security/CCNP
IT University Online Deal of the Day | Groupon Los Angeles

soo cisco til spring....microsoft til summer....upgrade my CCNA over the summer...hopefully :eat: by the football season

Good Luck on whatever your move is

krexzen

All Star
Daps

Respect.
It seems like we are one in the same lol. I am in both classes right now for school (matter off fact right off the security+ also

I picked ICND1/2....dont have an IT job yet, so i went to swallow the biggest frog:yeshrug:

I can already have that on my resume before I take the Microsoft ones (desktop/server/active dir). Since they are all in the same realm I feel that would make them easier to study for.

Also, groupon has a good deal on an online Cisco class...CCNA/Voice/Security/CCNP

soo cisco til spring....microsoft til summer....upgrade my CCNA over the summer...hopefully :eat: by the football season

Thanks breh! I think I'm going to start on the 70-680. I bought the book for it 2 months ago and I've been staring at it too long. Plus the Knowledge gained from the windows 7 exam is more useful to me at the moment than the Cisco.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Respect.

Truth be told breh, they're not really in the same realm. Passing the CCNA isn't going to make passing the MCSE type exams any easier. The Cisco exam is gonna ask you what's the differences between spanning tree, rapid spanning tree, and per vlan spanning tree and how to configure each one. The Microsoft exam is gonna ask you what are the components to implementing Direct Access in 2008 R2 and how would you troubleshoot a user not being able to access a resource remotely. The overlap is about 10% on the high end (understanding how TCP/IP work and basic network architecture).

Not trying to discourage you or nothing, just don't want you to think breezing through a Cisco exam will allow you to breeze through a Microsoft one.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wanna get in this field of work, what is the best way to get in if you have no experience in this field?

whats the one to recommend for beginners?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
will schooling affect how far you move up? or are certs in the IT field good enough by themselves?

It really depends on the employer and situation...I know people doing well in IT both with and without degrees. But when the economy is bad, I'd say employers check for people with degrees first. Same with management positions.

I got my first tech support job without having a degree, certs, or experience just because I was in an IT-related major (and did well in the interview).

My personal recommendation is to at least hit up a community college and gets your associates in something computer-related. It's an easy way to get experience and network with people in your area that work in IT. Plus a lot of helpdesk jobs these day ask for at least a 2-year degree.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Truth be told breh, they're not really in the same realm. Passing the CCNA isn't going to make passing the MCSE type exams any easier. The Cisco exam is gonna ask you what's the differences between spanning tree, rapid spanning tree, and per vlan spanning tree and how to configure each one. The Microsoft exam is gonna ask you what are the components to implementing Direct Access in 2008 R2 and how would you troubleshoot a user not being able to access a resource remotely. The overlap is about 10% on the high end (understanding how TCP/IP work and basic network architecture).

Not trying to discourage you or nothing, just don't want you to think breezing through a Cisco exam will allow you to breeze through a Microsoft one.

You are correct.
Thats why I picked going the way that I am doing. Once I pass the CCNA, I can completely shift my mind away from the networking realm.
I can just focus on the desktop/server/active directory all in a row. Once I get through them, then Ill jump back into the networking.
But I dont believe that because I pass the CCNA, Ill skate through the Microsoft one.
Cant front tho...When I do pass the CCNA...my confidence will be :stylin: hahaha

On another note....thanks for the knowledge drop in this whole thread...You an everybody else have no idea how much you are helping me an everybody else.