IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Breh, if you can't read a thread to figure out where in IT you're gonna start, how do you expect to read an 1100 page certification book? Or 3600 page combined certification book?

Stop being lazy fam.

word in IT you have to be pay dues and learn in order to get paid..degree, certs, whatever..everyone starts out in help desk esp if you're not coming from an IT background at all

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What about some study tips? How do you guys usually study for your tests? How many hrs per day etc. I know everyone has diff techniques. Could also help each other out on that.

I always wanted to know, who's the broad in ya avi?

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wish me luck brehs, I aced my phone interview and will be having the face to face on Wednesday for a System Administrator position.

Any tips :smugfavre:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
What about some study tips? How do you guys usually study for your tests? How many hrs per day etc. I know everyone has diff techniques. Could also help each other out on that.

Notes Card.......I would always highlight certain things in a book and then write them on a note card and carry with me.

Now this part is me and is not for everybody. I would always buy 2 books. 1 that was geared towards the cert and one that dealt with the subjects+alot more.

For example for the A+( I took the test about 7 years ago so these arent the exact books )

For the A+ ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Guide-220-801-220-802/dp/007179512X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361842883&sr=1-1&keywords=A%2B]Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) (9780071795128): Michael Meyers: Books[/ame] )

The subjects it dealt with and a whole lot more( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-20th-Scott-Mueller/dp/0789747103/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361842940&sr=1-1&keywords=pc+repair]Upgrading and Repairing PCs (20th Edition): Scott M. Mueller: 9780789747105: Amazon.com: Books[/ame] ) see this book is beyond overkill for the A+, but I always wanted to know more than what was just on the test.

This practice is not only good for the exam, but also for your career.

you know you are on the right path when you start dreaming about the stuff you are studying...lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Wish me luck brehs, I aced my phone interview and will be having the face to face on Wednesday for a System Administrator position.

Any tips :smugfavre:

talk with your hands when describing a situation..etc.etc:pachaha:

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
someone put me on to how to get my foot in the door with computer programming do I need a degree for this? or is there another way to start?

I need to start with something fresh...

oh and this is a totally NEW field for me, so im in need of encouragement lol

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Breh, if you can't read a thread to figure out where in IT you're gonna start, how do you expect to read an 1100 page certification book? Or 3600 page combined certification book?

Stop being lazy fam.

Lazy? It's called being organized. Why not update the original post with valuable information, answer the most common ask questions, and lead people in the right way.

Who wants to be a thread that jumps from different topics in the same page?

I am far from lazy. Have you ever met a lazy CS student? :birdman:

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
someone put me on to how to get my foot in the door with computer programming do I need a degree for this? or is there another way to start?

I need to start with something fresh...

oh and this is a totally NEW field for me, so im in need of encouragement lol

If you want to start out in programming I would highly suggest you learn the logic first and understand the basic concepts before you even think about learning an object-oriented language.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Lazy? It's called being organized. Why not update the original post with valuable information, answer the most common ask questions, and lead people in the right way.

Who wants to be a thread that jumps from different topics in the same page?

I am far from lazy. Have you ever met a lazy CS student? :birdman:

Of course I did, I was in class with a bunch of them :stopitslime: Those were the same nikkas who thought a CS or IT degree was good enough and they ended up struggling to find a job on graduation day.

And this ain't my thread so I ain't gotta do shyt breh. I've read through this thread page by page multiple times, and I'm 9 years deep in IT, so I damn sure don't need the help. If you can't read through it once just for your own edification , then that's on you breh.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

When I was going for my CISSP and CCNP Security, I cut off my cable and was putting in about 4-5 hours a day studying M-F (not to count the time I study when I'm at work which could be another 2-3 hours). And depending on how I felt, about another 4-5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. I haven't put my cable back on since :manny:

Soon as Cisco gets it's shyt together and release some material for the CCIE Security, I'll start studying the same way again, maybe even more. My girl already knows once I start to leave me the fukk alone for about a year. If she can't handle it, then fukk off. I'm trying to hit half a mil a year :birdman:

Only study tips is be focused and have a goal. 2-3 chapters a day and take the exam by day x. I use flash cards to study configuration, techniques, technical details, etc. Then do a practice exam at the end and any question I get wrong, go over that entire section taking notes on what I missed.

I also build labs and do simulations. If I'm studying AD stuff, I'll throw up some VM's, have AD installed, and practice whatever skill I'm learning. Same goes for Cisco or other vendors.

That's why when I read some of y'all fukk nikkas talking about reading through this thread is too long I laugh :russ:. In one summer, I read through about 10,000 pages of certification books I had bought, not even counting everything I was reading online. All while working part time at Target and being enrolled in school full time.

This industry ain't built for the nikka who wants to be spoon fed. If that's you, you'll stay at the bottom helping nikkas troubleshoot why they're computer isn't working because the dummy forgot to turn it on :nonikkas:

But don't listen to me, I'm just another lost nikka

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Soon as Cisco gets it's shyt together and release some material for the CCIE Security, I'll start studying the same way again, maybe even more. My girl already knows once I start to leave me the fukk alone for about a year. If she can't handle it, then fukk off. I'm trying to hit half a mil a year :birdman:

:ld: this was the type of shyt I should've been on last year. I went hard on CCIE voice studying from jan - june last year. took it and failed in july. came back determined to knock it out in december, but my girl ended up being a huge distraction on that ol "you always on your lab studying, you don't spend enough time with me" tip :noah: Tried to explain to her this shyt I'm doing is temporary in order to give me a huge career boost. Then holidays rolled aorund and a nikka aint touched his ccie lab since january :snoop:

straight disgust when I look at myself in the mirror now :pacspit:. I need to get that fire back and tell my chick Im gonna finish this shyt so you need to either just chill till Im done or :ufdup: I invested too much not to finish it at this point