IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I think I will be changing my major to IT or computer engineering. Even if I don't major in IT I still want some knowledge about how it works.

Do we have anyone working in healthcare or for the government?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Breh your the reason I pulled that move I remember you saying that a while back. shyt hit me like "this is the time to flex" :win: might get a job off that shyt alone

and for you new people like me this link helps me on that A+

computer tips you pretty much have to know all that

That's a good link, but its a tad outdated. There is more of a focus on vista/7 and less on windows 2000. Great notes none the less.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I think I will be changing my major to IT or computer engineering. Even if I don't major in IT I still want some knowledge about how it works.

Do we have anyone working in healthcare or for the government?

go with engineering trust me. its alot easier for an Engineer to get into IT than a person with just a. IT background trying to get into engineering. so you cover both fields with computer engineering.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
brehs check out blackgirlscode on twitter they drop alot of good info. will help if you are trying to network. for example i didnt even know they had hbcu hackathons.

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
go with engineering trust me. its alot easier for an Engineer to get into IT than a person with just a. IT background trying to get into engineering. so you cover both fields with computer engineering.

So it would be better to major in computer engineering than CS? Right now I am a CS major.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
So it would be better to major in computer engineering than CS? Right now I am a CS major.

well technically CS is not a IT degree etc. i know this sound all holier than thou but alot of programmers dont consider themselve as an IT worker since we have to take so many math/sci classes. a person dealing with desktops/cisco routers etc have no need for that stuff hence they have thier own degrees.

But the same rules apply to ppl with CS degrees. its easier for them to switch over to dealing with networks than a server admin going into programming. so either way you'll be straight.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
In the end though it depends on the person. i have no degree( havent finished my CS degree, thinking about switching over to electrical engineering ) and went from networking to programming but i have a love for this n dont do it just for the paycheck.

Waldo Geraldo Faldo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cloud
well technically CS is not a IT degree etc. i know this sound all holier than thou but alot of programmers dont consider themselve as an IT worker since we have to take so many math/sci classes. a person dealing with desktops/cisco routers etc have no need for that stuff hence they have thier own degrees.

But the same rules apply to ppl with CS degrees. its easier for them to switch over to dealing with networks than a server admin going into programming. so either way you'll be straight.

I heard somebody say this before, I believe it depends on the school I currently pursing my degree in Information Systems and Technology here are my required courses

Mathematics

MAT 2010 (4 cr.) Calculus I
MAT 2210 (4 cr.) Elementary Probabilities and Statistics
Computer Science

CSC 1100 (3 cr.) Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science*math
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structues in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Computer Science I
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Computer Science I - Lab
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Computer Science II
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Computer Science II - Lab
CSC 3100 (3 cr.) Computer Organization and Architecture
CSC 3101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Computer Organization and Architecture
CSC 3750 (3 cr.) Introduction to Web Technology
CSC 4110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Software Engineering
CSC 4111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Software Engineering
CSC 4420 (3 cr.) Operating Systems
CSC 4421 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Operating Systems
CSC 4710 (3 cr.) Information Systems Design or ISM 5992 (3 cr.) Database System
CSC 4996 (3 cr.) Frontiers of Computing (WI)
CSC 4997 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Frontiers of Computing
CSC 5750 (3 cr.) Principles of Web Technology
Business Administration

ECO 2020 (3 cr.) Principles of Macroeconomics (SS)
ACC 3010 (3 cr.) Elementary Financial Accounting Theory*math
FIN 3290 (3 cr.) Business Finance*math
MGT 2530 (3 cr.) Structure and Behavior in Organization
MKT 2300 (3 cr.) Marketing Management

As you can see I do have to take various math courses and programming as well

I went this route because one my professor who just received a phd in robotics/a.i.
Stated that he wish he would've took more business related course in undergrad. He stated companies are look for IT employees to be more business savy. He was paraphrasing that IT employees can speak understand the tech side of things, but can translated that to the business aspect of it.

My school also offers a BA of CS with the required course below

Mathematics
Computer Science
CSC 1100 (3 cr.) Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structues in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
Four additional CSC electives of at least three credits each, all numbered at or above 3000, excluding CSC 4990 and 4995.

Also,here is the BS of CS

Mathematics
MAT 2020 (4 cr.) Calculus II
MAT 2250 (4 cr.) Elementary Linear Algebra
Computer Science
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 3110 (3 cr.) Algorithm Design and Analysis
CSC 4500 (3 cr.) Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science
Four additional CSC electives of at least three credits each, all numbered at or above 3000 excluding CSC4990 and 4995.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
update...I finally passed my Windows 7 70-680 exam, i also have my A+ cert... @bdizzle, or anyone else what should be my next step? get another cert?

Last edited by a moderator:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
update...I finally passed my Windows 7 70-680 exam, i also have my A+ cert... @bdizzle, or anyone else what should be my next step? get another cert?

Congrats breh, good job :obama:

Have you gotten your a job yet? If not have you received any interviews or feedback on those positions? If not make sure your resume is on point. If you need advice on the res, upload it and I'll take a look and make suggestions. A resume is the 1st impression with a possible employer. Make sure you have those skills.

Also, make an account on dice, monster, career builder, and corp-corp.com (I get a lot of contract gigs from this site).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the end though it depends on the person. i have no degree( havent finished my CS degree, thinking about switching over to electrical engineering ) and went from networking to programming but i have a love for this n dont do it just for the paycheck.

what kind of programming are you doing? How did you get into it?

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Congrats breh, good job :obama:

Have you gotten your a job yet? If not have you received any interviews or feedback on those positions? If not make sure your resume is on point. If you need advice on the res, upload it and I'll take a look and make suggestions. A resume is the 1st impression with a possible employer. Make sure you have those skills.

Also, make an account on dice, monster, career builder, and corp-corp.com (I get a lot of contract gigs from this site).

As far as interviews Ive had a few but no luck yet. Once I put on my resume that I now have this Windows 7 cert hopefully I will get more interviews. I have an account on careerbuilder but I will make one for the others you named. As far as certs, should I just look for a job or should I also get into studying for another cert?

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
As far as interviews Ive had a few but no luck yet. Once I put on my resume that I now have this Windows 7 cert hopefully I will get more interviews. I have an account on careerbuilder but I will make one for the others you named. As far as certs, should I just look for a job or should I also get into studying for another cert?

In a big city like yours you should probably start at a local call center then apply internally

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

If you don't have experience, I'd start looking for a job first. Employers tend to give the :sitdown: to people with a bunch of certs and no experience.

The economy's rough but I'd try to find a call center tech support job. My first job in IT was Internet Tech Support for $10/hr, and I had no certs at the time. Just make sure your resume is on point and that you know how to interview.

Here's a question I was asked during my interview for my first tech support job:

"How would you explain to a customer what a driver is?"