IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
update...I finally passed my Windows 7 70-680 exam, i also have my A+ cert... @bdizzle, or anyone else what should be my next step? get another cert?

How was the 70-680? I have the book for that, but I've been postponing getting started. I've heard so many negative stories about studying for Microsoft exams. It seems that most people fail the first couple times or barely pass because of Microsoft's vagueness.

Last edited by a moderator:

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
How was the 70-680? I have the book for that, but I've been postponing getting started. I've heard so many negative stories about studying for Microsoft exams. It seems that most people fail the first couple times or barely pass because of Microsoft's vagueness.

i would say it is hard, i cant even lie...I studied damn near 3 to 4 hours a day for like 2, maybe 3months and I barely passed (740 out of 1000, to pass you needed to score 700 or higher). But i dont have much experience with computers on a high level so it may be easy for you if you know what you are doing

krexzen

All Star
Daps
i would say it is hard, i cant even lie...I studied damn near 3 to 4 hours a day for like 2, maybe 3months and I barely passed (740 out of 1000, to pass you needed to score 700 or higher). But i dont have much experience with computers on a high level so it may be easy for you if you know what you are doing

Thanks, I'm debating whether to start on the ICDN1/ICDN2 or go towards the 70-680. I'm about finished with comptia (security +) and I would like to save the more difficult one for last.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Not true breh. I've passed a bunch of em and they're no different than other exams.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
Not true breh. I've passed a bunch of em and they're no different than other exams.

I agree, I have an MCITP: Enterprise Admin cert and find the Microsoft exams to be similar to other industry certification exams. I did however, fail the Active Directory exam twice before passing it...:beli:

But, I did pass it eventually...:salute:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
As far as interviews Ive had a few but no luck yet. Once I put on my resume that I now have this Windows 7 cert hopefully I will get more interviews. I have an account on careerbuilder but I will make one for the others you named. As far as certs, should I just look for a job or should I also get into studying for another cert?

It's not just about putting "I passed my 70-680" on your resume. You gotta also put the skills you learned on there as well. There should be a Technical Skills section of your resume that highlights what you know. Since you passed the A+ and 70-680, look at the exam objectives and put those skills on your resume.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I heard somebody say this before, I believe it depends on the school I currently pursing my degree in Information Systems and Technology here are my required courses

Mathematics

MAT 2010 (4 cr.) Calculus I
MAT 2210 (4 cr.) Elementary Probabilities and Statistics
Computer Science

CSC 1100 (3 cr.) Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science*math
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structues in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Computer Science I
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Computer Science I - Lab
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Computer Science II
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Computer Science II - Lab
CSC 3100 (3 cr.) Computer Organization and Architecture
CSC 3101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Computer Organization and Architecture
CSC 3750 (3 cr.) Introduction to Web Technology
CSC 4110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Software Engineering
CSC 4111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Software Engineering
CSC 4420 (3 cr.) Operating Systems
CSC 4421 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Operating Systems
CSC 4710 (3 cr.) Information Systems Design or ISM 5992 (3 cr.) Database System
CSC 4996 (3 cr.) Frontiers of Computing (WI)
CSC 4997 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Frontiers of Computing
CSC 5750 (3 cr.) Principles of Web Technology
Business Administration

ECO 2020 (3 cr.) Principles of Macroeconomics (SS)
ACC 3010 (3 cr.) Elementary Financial Accounting Theory*math
FIN 3290 (3 cr.) Business Finance*math
MGT 2530 (3 cr.) Structure and Behavior in Organization
MKT 2300 (3 cr.) Marketing Management

As you can see I do have to take various math courses and programming as well

I went this route because one my professor who just received a phd in robotics/a.i.
Stated that he wish he would've took more business related course in undergrad. He stated companies are look for IT employees to be more business savy. He was paraphrasing that IT employees can speak understand the tech side of things, but can translated that to the business aspect of it.

My school also offers a BA of CS with the required course below

Mathematics
Computer Science
CSC 1100 (3 cr.) Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1101 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Problem Solving and Programming
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structues in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
Four additional CSC electives of at least three credits each, all numbered at or above 3000, excluding CSC 4990 and 4995.

Also,here is the BS of CS

Mathematics
MAT 2020 (4 cr.) Calculus II
MAT 2250 (4 cr.) Elementary Linear Algebra
Computer Science
CSC 1500 (3 cr.) Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 1501 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Fundamental Structures in Computer Science
CSC 2110 (3 cr.) Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2111 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Introduction to Data Structures and Abstraction
CSC 2200 (3 cr.) Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 2201 (1 cr.) Laboratory for Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis
CSC 3110 (3 cr.) Algorithm Design and Analysis
CSC 4500 (3 cr.) Introduction to Theoretical Computer Science
Four additional CSC electives of at least three credits each, all numbered at or above 3000 excluding CSC4990 and 4995.

Learn how to code my nikka, then write programs that will solve your math work for you. Thank me later :myman:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Carné Asada;3234974 said:
what kind of programming are you doing? How did you get into it?

now - Mobile

Well ive been programming forever( started with qbasic around 14 ). first real IT job was doing comp. repair for schools / then i did a couple of contract jobs for the govt. After started a Help Desk job( yes a step backwards lol ) but i did alot of scripting for them that saved them alot $$$$$, posted out for a programming position which actually required a degree but they loved what i did for the help desk.

In the future im hoping to get into Game Programming, only problem is i would be looking at working more hrs and probably have to take a pay cut. LoL. So my ideal situation would be taking my chances at developing mobile games on my own. working on a puzzle game now which is taking forever since my art skills suck at the moment. lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
As far as interviews Ive had a few but no luck yet. Once I put on my resume that I now have this Windows 7 cert hopefully I will get more interviews. I have an account on careerbuilder but I will make one for the others you named. As far as certs, should I just look for a job or should I also get into studying for another cert?

Look for jobs on craiglist. For some reason ive always gotten a better response on there.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
now - Mobile

Well ive been programming forever( started with qbasic around 14 ). first real IT job was doing comp. repair for schools / then i did a couple of contract jobs for the govt. After started a Help Desk job( yes a step backwards lol ) but i did alot of scripting for them that saved them alot $$$$$, posted out for a programming position which actually required a degree but they loved what i did for the help desk.

In the future im hoping to get into Game Programming, only problem is i would be looking at working more hrs and probably have to take a pay cut. LoL. So my ideal situation would be taking my chances at developing mobile games on my own. working on a puzzle game now which is taking forever since my art skills suck at the moment. lol

:ohhh:

Sounds like you have tons of experience under your belt.