IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
What kind of consultant work? I interviewed for a MSP but turnt it down after further review
Cyber Security, Just spent the past four years in a Network Engineering company program(Mechanical Engineering undergrad)..I passed the CISSP and should get through the AWS soon. I am familiar with pretty much everything Network. Zero intentions on using the AWS. I am just using it to get leverage on my salary demands since I don't have the cyber security experience to be a full CISSP. Studying day and night for the AWS. I might move to D.C so I can work locally.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
After reading a few chapters in Mike Meyers book and watching videos on udemy.com I might skip the network+ and start working on the CCENT. I though subnetting would be really difficult but it's not too bad.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
After reading a few chapters in Mike Meyers book and watching videos on udemy.com I might skip the network+ and start working on the CCENT. I though subnetting would be really difficult but it's not too bad.
You learn the networking fundamentals in ccnet anyway. Good choice.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
I wouldn't be so dismissive about AWS when they're the market leader. Why limit your self when you've already learned Azure? I would imagine the core concepts are the same, just terminology changes

It's not that I'm dismissive but I just don't have any professional experience with Amazon. I'm not against learning something brand new but it's kind of weird to just get AWS certs out of the blue when I've been working with Microsoft stuff my whole career.

At this point, I'm more or less evaluating what is the next step before I get TOGAF and a security certification.

I still appreciate the perspective
ehh3.png

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ohhh: So Network+ is only needed if you're going into Networking & Technologies and Security+ is only need for Information Security?

Folks in this thread make it seem like Network+ & Security+ are essential 2nd & 3rd certs that folks gotta have no matter which IT career path they go.

Spin

All Star
Daps
:ohhh: So Network+ is only needed if you're going into Networking & Technologies and Security+ is only need for Information Security?

Folks in this thread make it seem like Network+ & Security+ are essential 2nd & 3rd certs that folks gotta have no matter which IT career path they go.

Networking + and Security + are good entry level certs to have to get past HR screeners. Technically, none of them are "required", but will definitely help your resume standout. I can tell you from experience, getting into IT is the hardest part. Anything you can do to get an edge is worth it.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Networking + and Security + are good entry level certs to have to get past HR screeners. Technically, none of them are "required", but will definitely help your resume standout. I can tell you from experience, getting into IT is the hardest part. Anything you can do to get an edge is worth it.

How much h would both those certifications help to get in? Would that being dull time empty mentally or mostly contract gigs?

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Getting an hp elitebook with 16gb ram and 240gb ssd next check so i can use a vm or two to study for my rhcsa. Also copping this book

51MxVxPfaDL._SY400_.jpg

anyone got that cert and can give me any study tips? How long should the study process take on avg? I already took a Linux class in college and that shyt was easy af.:ohhh:

Spin

All Star
Daps
How much h would both those certifications help to get in? Would that being dull time empty mentally or mostly contract gigs?

Unless you know someone at a company, you likely won't get a call back without certs for entry level. If you already have IT experience on your resume, that's a different story. Are you working full time now? If you're not working full time or working a low paying job, I would suggest Per Scholas, NPower, or a program similar to these. You go through training and at the end, you can apply for jobs through their network. That's the single biggest reason to do it is to have that network you can leverage after the training.

IT is not a game for the weak or unambitious. After you finally land your first job, you're going to want to work like hell to get advanced certifications to get the next job. The last thing you want to do is get stuck in Help Desk. Learn PowerShell, Linux, AWS, or anything to stand out from the average IT guy that just clocks in at 9 and leaves at 5.