IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Do I apply apply to special jobs like New IT Graduate or anything
I recommend you do, the majority of my hits have come from new grad applications, but don't be afraid to apply to experienced positions. You know more than you think you know.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I`d apply to any and everything, but New grad would be ideal. I know Google has a Nw Grad program for IT grads for example.
Breh :mjlol: you seen my resume I aint google material lol... I had to take some stuff my resume btw...

I'm going to apply to this New Grad Job should I tailor my resume to it?

Responsibilities

• Support changes to the Windows server and storage systems
  • Perform system administration duties such as creating new account policies
  • Maintain active directory, virtual and physical servers
  • Collaborate with the team and the Service Desk to provide Level II troubleshooting in support of technical solutions
  • Work closely with application support personnel on projects and issue resolution
  • Provide detailed documentation and procedures for all solutions
  • Lead small to medium scale tasks projects efficiently, on time and within budget, using appropriate resources of time, funds and person
  • Develop and maintain IT liaison relationship with functional departments and key users and vendors
  • Simplify technical jargon so that it is easily understood by the audience

General Activities

• Windows Server Operating System implementation and management skills
  • Active Directory knowledge and administration skills
  • Understanding of TCP/IP Protocol
  • Expert troubleshooting and problem resolution skills
  • Highly organized self-starter with an eye for detail who can maintain multiple ongoing projects simultaneously
  • Entrepreneurial, flexible attitude with ability to work well in ambiguous, changing situations and reprioritize work accordingly
  • Function independently with minimal direction to drive a project to execution
  • Strong interpersonal and clear communication skills (verbal and written)
  • A sustained ability to execute on critical projects with accelerated schedules and manage demands with frequent changes or delays
  • Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work effectively as part of a team
  • Willing to work sometimes odd hours

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Breh :mjlol: you seen my resume I aint google material lol... I had to take some stuff my resume btw...

I'm going to apply to this New Grad Job should I tailor my resume to it?

I`d still apply to google for the hell of it, I know I am.

And yea, I`d try to take some key words from the description and fit it into your Resume, whether it be job experience or if you put some projects you did.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I`d still apply to google for the hell of it, I know I am.

And yea, I`d try to take some key words from the description and fit it into your Resume, whether it be job experience or if you put some projects you did.
Would you mind looking at my resume again? I'll send you the emailb

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Had an IBM interview for a SRE role. They grilled me a few days ago with a technical interview but I passed it. This in person interview was interesting. I dunno...even though the team is new and things are just starting, I still feel a bit weird. Maybe because I came from a corporate environment. Apparently this is more of a "start-up" culture on this team.

One of the older guys mentioned my former manager and asked "are you on XYZ Team with?". I was a bit startled to be honest. I curtailed the question and explained why I was looking for a new opportunity.

As I mentioned many times I felt like my boss targeted me and it made it a very unpleasant and toxic experience while working there. One of the interviewers asked "Did I dodge a bullet by not going there?". I explained that for me I have to consider my career and where my strengths lie. Then he backed off.

I am scheduling an on-site with a gaming company soon as well. Hopefully something will come to fruition. I've even published some code I've been working on.
Good luck breh, how difficult is it to find a job in devops without senior level experience? This is one thing that makes me worry about transitioning from senior systems engineer to devops.

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Peace brehs, I have some experience in project management, sales engineering and service delivery as an MSP. I have ITIL, my MCSE (Office 365 and Exchange) and I am looking to go for an Architect role within the next 3-5 years.
'
I started looking into Azure certifications since I'm fairly familiar with it and I am already in the Microsoft thing. It just would make way more sense career wise than doing AWS.

So my plan would be Azure certifications 533 & 534 -> TOGAF -> Security Cert ? -> Six figures
whew.png
wow.png

Just looking for some feedback

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Good luck breh, how difficult is it to find a job in devops without senior level experience? This is one thing that makes me worry about transitioning from senior systems engineer to devops.

Senior can either mean a payband or 5-7+ years of experience from what I've seen. I mean DevOps is only a few years old.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
An opportunity has come up for me...I just need my Network+ by Feb and Security+ if possible to pad the resume...does anyone have any Net+ study material or tips/advice on how to study and prepare for the exam? This could be the break a breh has been waiting for :wow:
I'm ready to grind I just need the guidance

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Peace brehs, I have some experience in project management, sales engineering and service delivery as an MSP. I have ITIL, my MCSE (Office 365 and Exchange) and I am looking to go for an Architect role within the next 3-5 years.
'
I started looking into Azure certifications since I'm fairly familiar with it and I am already in the Microsoft thing. It just would make way more sense career wise than doing AWS.

So my plan would be Azure certifications 533 & 534 -> TOGAF -> Security Cert ? -> Six figures
whew.png
wow.png

Just looking for some feedback
I wouldn't be so dismissive about AWS when they're the market leader. Why limit your self when you've already learned Azure? I would imagine the core concepts are the same, just terminology changes

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A former colleague referred me to a job in Colorado. I will entertain it but I'm not too interested in moving.

Having an on-site interview with a gaming company.

Also another role with Github.

Talking to two other companies as well...so it's going. Brushing up on my configuration management stuff right now.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Anyone of yall doing consulting work :mjcry:. All the very good paying jobs in my area are asking to travel 50 plus percent of the time..the bigger ones close to 80 percent:mjcry:. It looks like I will have to move to D.C so I can work locally and still get the pay I want.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone of yall doing consulting work :mjcry:. All the very good paying jobs in my area are asking to travel 50 plus percent of the time..the bigger ones close to 80 percent:mjcry:. It looks like I will have to move to D.C so I can work locally and still get the pay I want.
What kind of consultant work? I interviewed for a MSP but turnt it down after further review