IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Thoughts on starting with a CCNA R&S and CCNA security then applying for your first job. As opposed to the A+ net + Help desk desktop support path.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Thoughts on starting with a CCNA R&S and CCNA security then applying for your first job. As opposed to the A+ net + Help desk desktop support path.
It would be very hard for you to pass the CCNA with no experience and you aren't getting a network job without experience. Might be better to go Net+ and Sec+ , get your experience in the networking if you can, and train for the CCNA while gathering experience.

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It would be very hard for you to pass the CCNA with no experience and you aren't getting a network job without experience. Might be better to go Net+ and Sec+ , get your experience in the networking if you can, and train for the CCNA while gathering experience.

Hmm I see...appreciate the info

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I would get the CCENT first then get the CCNA. You don't need to get CCNA R&S & CCNA Security. Pick one track and finish it. One CCIE is better than multiple CCNP's.

My first cert was Sec+. You can skip A+ and Net+ if you want. Also, the CCENT is cheaper than the Net+.

When did u start looking for jobs?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
When did u start looking for jobs?

Start applying now. You should look for entry level technical support, service desk, and desktop support positions. All while studying/labbing for the CCENT.

After you pass the CCENT. You create another resume for Jr Network positions. Then you start applying to those while studying/labbing for the CCNA.

Rinse & repeat until you have the CCIE.

Some people will tell you to work help desk for x amount of yrs before you try to move up. That's BS. They are projecting their insecurity and short comings on to you. You can move out of help desk in 6 months if you on ur shyt.

Last edited:

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
Start applying now. You should look for entry level technical support, service desk, and desktop support positions. All while studying/labbing for the CCENT.

After you pass the CCENT. You create another resume for Jr Network positions. Then you start applying to those while studying/labbing for the CCNA.

Rinse & repeat until you have the CCIE.

Some people will tell you to work help desk for x amount of yrs before you try to move up. That's BS. They are projecting their insecurity and short comings on to you. You can move out of help desk in 6 months if you on ur shyt.

I'm currently studying taking classes for my A+ network+ in a few more weeks....I want to go the Cisco route, and also want to learn Cloud. Put me on game as far as paths get. I believe I'll break 100k within 6 years(here in ny)

I'm an old head so time is crucial now, but the possibilities are endless.

Thanks again breh

krexzen

All Star
Daps

I'm not sure what your career path is but if network engineering is what your going for then get the CCNA. A lot of NOC jobs look for it and these positions can lead to engineering roles. Most decent Network Engineers are at a CCNP level anyway. The Network + is good at covering the basics, but it isn't very sought after on the open job market. If you really feel the need to brush up on fundamentals then by all means get the Network +. The CCNA on the other hand at least indicates that a candidate might have some basic understanding of Cisco devices and network operating systems in general.

Personally I feel that the CCNA and or JNCIA are good certifications for most entry level network or security guys to have. Absolutely no downside to having them. When you reach the point where you feel confident enough to be an engineer then you might want to start looking at the CCNP and/or JNCIS/JNCIP level certifications. It's at that level where you really start learning the high level concepts that hiring managers crave.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I'm currently studying taking classes for my A+ network+ in a few more weeks....I want to go the Cisco route, and also want to learn Cloud. Put me on game as far as paths get. I believe I'll break 100k within 6 years(here in ny)

I'm an old head so time is crucial now, but the possibilities are endless.

Thanks again breh

First, you have to pick a discipline. Cisco or cloud; If Cisco, just refer to the post you quoted. If cloud, then get a Linux cert.

I advise you to go hard w/ Per Scholas. It is a great program. They also offer a Network Engineer (cisco) & Cyber Security course. You should take one of those when you finish the class you're in.

If you not trying to hear that (cause that's mad long to be in school, I know) then start studying for the RHCSA on the side. You have to be nice w/ Linux to get a cloud job. You also need to learn powershell, bash, python, and JavaScript to perform automation.

I would focus on the A+, Net+, and RHCSA for now though. Get those three certs by the time you finish that class. If you do, you will get the best job out of all your classmates. Just put that work in.

MF DRUGS

Rookie
Daps
Any of y'all ever check out/ look at western govenors university (wgu)?

I finished reading through this thread for a second time recently and a lot of people had questions about certs vs. a degree and from what i've read wgu could resolve both of those concerns , at least from a security/networking point of view.

It seems like most colleges / universities have you take classes relating or will prepare you for entry level certs ( a+ , n+ , sec+ , ccna ) etc but wgu uses certification tests as a final exam so to get credit toward a degree, you have to get a cert.

They give you credit toward a degree for certs you already have as long as it's within 5 years and if you're enrolled in the school as soon as you get the required cert , you get credit for that class.

Tuition is about $3,000 every 6 months but finical aid is available . you pay for time (6 months) not credit hours so if your on it you could go through 7/8 classes in that time and get your b.s sooner and the cost of exams at testing centers is included in tuition. They also pay for 1 or 2 re-takes.

A lot of dudes from this thread look like their interested in networking/security like me. info on the b.s in security

Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

I found out about this site in this thread and it looks like they have an overall positive experience about the school.

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

I finished reading through this thread for a second time recently and a lot of people had questions about certs vs. a degree and from what i've read wgu could resolve both of those concerns , at least from a security/networking point of view.

It seems like most colleges / universities have you take classes relating or will prepare you for entry level certs ( a+ , n+ , sec+ , ccna ) etc but wgu uses certification tests as a final exam so to get credit toward a degree, you have to get a cert.

They give you credit toward a degree for certs you already have as long as it's within 5 years and if you're enrolled in the school as soon as you get the required cert , you get credit for that class.

Tuition is about $3,000 every 6 months but finical aid is available . you pay for time (6 months) not credit hours so if your on it you could go through 7/8 classes in that time and get your b.s sooner and the cost of exams at testing centers is included in tuition. They also pay for 1 or 2 re-takes.

A lot of dudes from this thread look like their interested in networking/security like me. info on the b.s in security

Online IT Security Degree | Information Security Degree | WGU College of Information Technology

I found out about this site in this thread and it looks like they have an overall positive experience about the school.

:jbhmm: thinking about this too. Unless you're going the contract route a degree will put you ahead of others

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

You might be better off going to a community college and learning tech things than going online. IMHO.

MF DRUGS

Rookie
Daps
:jbhmm: thinking about this too. Unless you're going the contract route a degree will put you ahead of others

Yea and for dudes like me trying to break into IT it'll help with having no experience. Do you have any certs?

You might be better off going to a community college and learning tech things than going online. IMHO.

you probably could learn better from an in person class but a lot of IT classes are already online and after the completion of a class at a community college you won't get a cert. completing the class is 2-4 months minimum.

with wgu if you grind you can knock out twice the amount of classes in the same time. getting a b.s and certs at the same time in 18 months if you grind , killing 2 birds with 1 stone.