IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Brehs.. my company downsized and let a bunch of ppl go. They want me to change my morning shift to either mid or night.
Any suggestions.
Mid - 12pm-10:30pm wed-saturdays
Nights 8pm-6am. sundays-wed.
Thoughts? experiences with either shift? I work at the NOC.
10 hr shifts :wow: I would go with the night shift so I can still pop bottles on the weekend

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I didn't do how I wanted on the Github interview, but I learned a lot.

The thing is I'm running into more Dev heavy Devops/Engineer roles instead of Ops heavy which I'm used to. Things like
-Configuration Management
-Monitoring
-Automating

Much of what keeps contacting me is programming based and I simply haven't done much programming in the environments I've been in, so it's a bit frustrating.

Luckily I have a few more opportunities to look at.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Yeah I didn't do how I wanted on the Github interview, but I learned a lot.

The thing is I'm running into more Dev heavy Devops/Engineer roles instead of Ops heavy which I'm used to. Things like
-Configuration Management
-Monitoring
-Automating

Much of what keeps contacting me is programming based and I simply haven't done much programming in the environments I've been in, so it's a bit frustrating.

Luckily I have a few more opportunities to look at.

Do you use Ansible/Chef/Puppet/Salt etc? I recently attended a Ansible working. Seems to be easy to initially pick up. Is Jenkins for the "Dev" side? I'm still kind of confused about it. Have you ever thought about working directly with Red Hat or SaltStack?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Do you use Ansible/Chef/Puppet/Salt etc? I recently attended a Ansible working. Seems to be easy to initially pick up. Is Jenkins for the "Dev" side? I'm still kind of confused about it. Have you ever thought about working directly with Red Hat or SaltStack?

I have a Saltstack certification actually but all the places I've been talking to use heavily Chef/Puppet/Ansible.

I'm picking up Puppet on my own and Ansible is very close to SaltStack.

I got a friend at Salt actually lol but he's a developer and I'm assuming it's a dev heavy shop. Jenkins is used for continuous integration and stuff like that a lot actually but I don't know much about it. I've only see it used for testing before.

I think I need to focus more on SRE or Cloud Engineer roles to leverage my skillset. It's just finding them and sifting through them.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Update: Hadn't been in here in a while. I've been working a Contract with VA in DC since late March as UC Engineer Tier II. Had been working on my CCNA Collab cert. Failed the first test and haven't been able/motivated to study with my commute. I've been commuting from Richmond to DC M-F totaling about 5 hrs on the road daily , Which is about the same amount of sleep I've been getting. I just put in my 2 weeks with nothing lined up. So i plan to get back into studying and knock out this cert and find something local. Keep grinding brehs.
Salute to another breh getting into UC:salute:

Keep at that ccna breh. I did my IE in it 2 years ago. Hardest shyt I done in my life:whew: make sure you really pay attention to the video topics. shyt is rapidly changing. Seeing a lot more video focused projects with VCS these days and less CUCM. Collaboration still a hot field with good pay but you just have to keep up with the changes.

Lex218

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I work in a call center doing ios chat support. It's not as technical as I thought it would be but it's cool and pays decent.

Does anyone know how I can make this look good on my resume so I can start planning my exit and start my IT career.

Also, I have no certs but I've been at this job for 10 months.

They want me to work on the Mac side which would be a little more technical. Would that be a good look?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I work in a call center doing ios chat support. It's not as technical as I thought it would be but it's cool and pays decent.

Does anyone know how I can make this look good on my resume so I can start planning my exit and start my IT career.

They want me to work on the Mac side which would be a little more technical. Would that be a good look?
So you troubleshoot iPhone problems? What are you looking to do in it?

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

"Level 1/2 Technical Support Analyst"

Use two if you feel you better than everyone else there :mjpls:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I got a job that I'm not really interested in and kinda didn't apply for.

It's a desktop support role at an organization that doesn't make me think I'll have the opportunity to learn anything new.

All it took was 1 phone interview. When I asked about the team, the guy told me that one support person left and the other is leaving on Monday. The interviewer asked me how soon I could start, I said "One week from signing the offer." He asked me if I could start soon. It's also temp to perm. And I don't even know how much it pays. I could start as soon as Tuesday. I also have to finish the starting paperwork before Sunday night, they sent it to me today.

I started seeing a recruiter because people told me it was a good idea. It's not, it's lame. I also interviewed (in person) for a temp Win10 migration project at job agency. The tech director seemed to like me too. It was supposed to start next week, but my recruiter never mentioned it after the interview.

I'm out of work, but I'm not hiring for money and I've been getting interviews for places I actually want to work for. Hell, I'm waiting to hear back about 2 opportunities within the next week or so.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I got a job that I'm not really interested in and kinda didn't apply for.

It's a desktop support role at an organization that doesn't make me think I'll have the opportunity to learn anything new.

All it took was 1 phone interview. When I asked about the team, the guy told me that one support person left and the other is leaving on Monday. The interviewer asked me how soon I could start, I said "One week from signing the offer." He asked me if I could start soon. It's also temp to perm. And I don't even know how much it pays. I could start as soon as Tuesday. I also have to finish the starting paperwork before Sunday night, they sent it to me today.

I started seeing a recruiter because people told me it was a good idea. It's not, it's lame. I also interviewed (in person) for a temp Win10 migration project at job agency. The tech director seemed to like me too. It was supposed to start next week, but my recruiter never mentioned it after the interview.

I'm out of work, but I'm not hiring for money and I've been getting interviews for places I actually want to work for. Hell, I'm waiting to hear back about 2 opportunities within the next week or so.
I'd take the role, if you aren't hurting for money more isn't bad thing either.
On top of that, if multiple people are leaving, you have a chance to cross train as they build back up. That said if it isn't a good fit you are also interviewing with other places and you can go when a new opportunity arises.

Spin

All Star
Daps

Get on the Mac side and learn the command line. Fastest way to do that is learn Linux. Mac and Linux both use the bash shell though some commands are slightly different, most are the same. Now you're a Mac and Linux pro and it will look great on your resume.