IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
Cost: Network+ $294.00 vs. CCENT $125.00

The Network+ is not a prerequisite for other tests. It does not bring you closer to a higher goal; whereas the CCENT is the foundation for all of the CCNA/CCNP tracks.

Measure twice, cut once.

After doing some research that seems like the best path for me to take. Especially by passing the 100-105 ICDN1 I will have the CCENT.

I see that I would only have to pass the 100-105 ICDN1 and 200-105 ICDN2 to get my CCNA.

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV

The Network+ is not a prerequisite for other tests. It does not bring you closer to a higher goal; whereas the CCENT is the foundation for all of the CCNA/CCNP tracks.

Measure twice, cut once.
My network engineer has me and my co worker(he recently passed the a+) on a path to take the network+ next. If its not going to help me in the long run, ill go after the CCENT after the a+. good looking:myman:

• Dap
Reactions: Czr

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Found this on techexams.net. Motivation:

100k in <3 years - goal accomplished

A couple years ago I set a goal of making $100k in 3 years. Yesterday I officially accomplished this and bypassed it. Here is the progression for anyone interested.

Title: Helpdesk
Duration: 8 months
Salary: $20/hr
Certs: A+ Net+

Title: System Administrator
Duration: 1 year 9 months
Total comp: $90,000-96,000
Certs: RHCSA

Title: DevOps Engineer
Duration: Just promoted
Total comp: $130,000-147,000 (bottom range is no on call pay, top is with what I believe on call pay is)

Needless to say I've benefited from being in the right place at the right time, as well as living near a tech hub in Boston. When I purchased my A+ book to start my career change in July 2013, I could never imagine that I would increase my salary 4-5 fold.

I hope this shows people new to the field that you can move up quickly if you're looking for the opportunities.

My takeaways for what has worked:
1. Take opportunities that make you uncomfortable
2. Learn on your own time - cert related or not - no surprise for this forum
3. Be ready to ask for opportunities
4. Being likable goes a long way.
5. Learning to script/program makes you stand out.
6. Don't be the first one out of the office everyday, but also maintain work/life balance.
7. If you find a company that gives you opportunities to grow, then try your best to stay and grow in the organization. You never know when the next job req might pop up.
8. Look for new responsibilities to take on, don't wait for them to be shoveled onto you.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston

A couple years ago I set a goal of making $100k in 3 years. Yesterday I officially accomplished this and bypassed it. Here is the progression for anyone interested.

Total comp: $130,000-147,000 (bottom range is no on call pay, top is with what I believe on call pay is)

Needless to say I've benefited from being in the right place at the right time, as well as living near a tech hub in Boston. When I purchased my A+ book to start my career change in July 2013, I could never imagine that I would increase my salary 4-5 fold.

I hope this shows people new to the field that you can move up quickly if you're looking for the opportunities.

6. Don't be the first one out of the office everyday, but also maintain work/life balance.
7. If you find a company that gives you opportunities to grow, then try your best to stay and grow in the organization. You never know when the next job req might pop up.
8. Look for new responsibilities to take on, don't wait for them to be shoveled onto you.
Hmm, I live in Boston too and definitely think I can have a similar trajection if I get one of these jobs I have interviewed for.
One is a network administrator support type role in which they're looking to groom someone in a leadership role within the next 6-8 months.
The other is a similar support/engineer role but the culture of the company is one where they continue to expose you to more advance technologies by having work so close to the engineers for security, networking, servers and their projects. They pay for certs, training, going to conferences, etc.

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.

Measure twice, cut once.
what's the best book for CCENT?

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Failed N+ again, that's twice... studying S+ now then will retake and study for N+.

N+ has a bit more recognition with jobs that CCENT.

The CCENT is much more difficult to grasp as well.

N+ is more entry level known.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell

Most likely CAC and BOSTON

Not taking away from his grind because he worked for it.

And getting that foot in the door is very hard, and how is he getting 20 a hour with no experience with a A,N+?

that's quite difficult.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
20 an hour sounds fine for Boston. But the jump from help desk to Linux system admin sounds kinda :duck:. Especially since he doesn't explain how he made that transition. Just that one Red Hat cert?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
20 an hour sounds fine for Boston. But the jump from help desk to Linux system admin sounds kinda :duck:. Especially since he doesn't explain how he made that transition. Just that one Red Hat cert?

Yeah when I started at help desk I was making 20/HR. But I agree about the jump from help desk to sys admin is drastic. Not saying it can't happen but he's definitely leaving out alot of additional info.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Most likely CAC and BOSTON.

True, but IDC about race as much as some ppl on here. I'm more concerned with hustle and if you are willing to share knowledge.

Read his thread if you want to know more.

You can walk right into a Linux Sys admin gig with a RHCSA. As long as they are willing to train you.

Yeah when I started at help desk I was making 20/HR. But I agree about the jump from help desk to sys admin is drastic. Not saying it can't happen but he's definitely leaving out alot of additional info.

That sys admin comp had me like :patrice: then I realized I was not considering COL. Also, I remembered that I had a recruiter hit me for a Jr sys admin job in DC paying 45/hr. Also seen a soc gig paying 96k in Dallas so it's rare, but possible.

Last edited:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Why is that? I was looking to use my cyber security degree to get into digital forensics/cyber crime

Do you have any insight to how things are in this field? I'm thinking about going this route

Does anybody know anything about the digital forensics career path :lupe: ?

FukYaFeelings

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Englewood Chicago to Southwest Atlanta
Question bras...what's the most y'all lied about on ur resume :dame:

I'm not talking about fluffing up ur job responsibilities

I'm talking about adding jobs and volunteer experience u never did. I did that for some a few dumb warehouse jobs like said I worked for UPS for 2 years :mjgrin:

But I know this shyt more serious :feedme: