IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Anyone have any NOC experience and can tell me the pros and cons? Been grinding away at this CCNA for a bit and I need to have as much ammunition as I can so I can smash that interview ya digg :birdman:
My last job was a NOC paying 53k in NYC

it was interesting because we had our hands on everything. Networking, monitoring, servers, scripting, aws, sql, virtualization, AD, server maintenace just anything u could think of.

Problem is we couldnt go that in depth as far as troubleshooting and implementation. Since i wanted to do networking i immediatelyy introduced myself to the network team and got to work close with them on some projects. The job is mostly monitoring and became really boring and easy for me at least after month 3.

Keep in mind, no two nocs are the same. I know ppl who work a noc and they actual get to configure shyt and not feel like a next level helpdesk.

i had a goal to be out in a year and it worked out i left in 10 months. I came in with a CCNA and left there with my CCNP for this network engineer role im at now. It def helped because i got to see how things worl on that end in a corporate setting instead of GNS3.

Lord Bison

Superstar
Daps

it was interesting because we had our hands on everything. Networking, monitoring, servers, scripting, aws, sql, virtualization, AD, server maintenace just anything u could think of.

Problem is we couldnt go that in depth as far as troubleshooting and implementation. Since i wanted to do networking i immediatelyy introduced myself to the network team and got to work close with them on some projects. The job is mostly monitoring and became really boring and easy for me at least after month 3.

Keep in mind, no two nocs are the same. I know ppl who work a noc and they actual get to configure shyt and not feel like a next level helpdesk.

i had a goal to be out in a year and it worked out i left in 10 months. I came in with a CCNA and left there with my CCNP for this network engineer role im at now. It def helped because i got to see how things worl on that end in a corporate setting instead of GNS3.

Thanks breh :salute:

My boy worked in a NOC and I got a chance to shadow him for a lil bit and all he really did was just monitor the networks to make sure nothing goes down.

The boring part is what I'm looking forward to. The best part of IT is the downtime :blessed:

I plan on using that downtime to study for my CCNA security and then the CCNP. Ultimately my endgame is network engineer at around 75-100K.

Buff

Pro
Daps
Reppin
D.M.V

what do you do now? I've been part of the NOC for the past half year and wondering what the next step up would be.

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Thanks breh :salute:

My boy worked in a NOC and I got a chance to shadow him for a lil bit and all he really did was just monitor the networks to make sure nothing goes down.

The boring part is what I'm looking forward to. The best part of IT is the downtime :blessed:

I plan on using that downtime to study for my CCNA security and then the CCNP. Ultimately my endgame is network engineer at around 75-100K.
Yea breh use that time for studying thats what I did. Not enough time and too much money out here to go to waste

what do you do now? I've been part of the NOC for the past half year and wondering what the next step up would be.

Im a Network Engineer now.

Next step is what you make it honestly. What do you like IT wise? Choose a path and go from there.

Fo me personally networking just clicked for me and I find it very interesting.

Buff

Pro
Daps
Reppin
D.M.V
Yea breh use that time for studying thats what I did. Not enough time and too much money out here to go to waste

Im a Network Engineer now.

Next step is what you make it honestly. What do you like IT wise? Choose a path and go from there.

Fo me personally networking just clicked for me and I find it very interesting.

How'd you get there? what did you have to do to make that jump.
I like my job so id like to stay in the networking field.

GollyImGully

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How'd you get there? what did you have to do to make that jump.
I like my job so id like to stay in the networking field.

For me it started by getting my CCNA back in like Dec 2015. That led me to getting the job at the NOC. There I got my CCNP in Jul 2016 and I made the jump to a Network Engineer by Jan 2017.

They key is getting that hands on experience and being able to express in an interview you KNOW what your talking about.

What do you do at your NOC now? Do you get to touch any routers, switches, load balancers or firewalls? If not I suggest getting to know the network engineering team at your job. Thats what I did, once I got my job at the NOC a couple weeks in I introduced myself to the network team and told them my goals & interests. They liked to see that and allowed me to work on projects with them separate from the NOC.

This gave me the hands on experience I needed to finesse up the resume. Add that in with the certs and the knowledge learned from them :whew: They key is the experience anything you do network related put it on there

kevthesureshot

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
What do you guys think about the EC Council EDRP certification ? What about ISC2 CAP ?

Do you come across it often ? Does it hold weight in the industry ?

Last edited:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I was offered an SOC analyst role. :patrice:
Total comp is 10k more than I make now. :jbhmm:
I would learn more.

Vs.

Commute would take over an hour each way :hhh: (current gig is 20 mins away.)
Would have to actually work (all I do is listen to music and study at my current gig :troll: )
Would give up the freedom to come in late, leave early, and take 2 hr lunches :skip:.
The new gig is technically a step down from my current role. (SOC's are the help desk of cybesecurity :lupe: )

Had I not found this thread the 'new gig' would have been my only option off help desk.

If you knew better you'd do better. Read the entire thread if you haven't.

Honestly, I don't think 10k is worth that much more driving. :yeshrug:

A good percentage of your extra $$$ is probably going to go toward gas.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Wow so I can get a position with just a+?

Yep, depends on the company tho. Even though this is entry level, i do all sorts higher level shyt like system administration, project management, security, network engineering etc...basically a jack of all trades position.

It's sloppy but all these job responsibilities gonna be fresh af on my resume :takedat: