IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Breh ive had enough :dead: The network engineer i work with is one of those nerdy know it all types so you can imagine dealing with that everyday :snoop:

That may be true but idk working at bigger companies I felt there was some what order there

I guess it all depends where you go..The signs were here when i got hired and i ignored it :sadcam:

I know what you mean. I went from a place where there was a policy, procedure and documentation to everything to a place where people think it's OK to reboot a server in the middle of the day and not notify anyone. It use to drive me mad that these things were not only done but people legit thought it was normal practice. I just take it as a learning experience on what not to do.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I know what you mean. I went from a place where there was a policy, procedure and documentation to everything to a place where people think it's OK to reboot a server in the middle of the day and not notify anyone. It use to drive me mad that these things were not only done but people legit thought it was normal practice. I just take it as a learning experience on what not to do.

New gig?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

No been here a few years and yes shyt like this still happens. We've only recently implemented change request. It helps but the culture of the company is fukked up so I've just learned not stress over. When someone decides to "do the needful" I just take a break.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Donald Trump blamed for job losses as Indian IT workers face cuts

Modified: Wed, May 24 2017. 09 09 AM IST

Donald Trump blamed for job losses as Indian IT workers face cuts
Cognizant, Infosys and Wipro won’t disclose how many IT jobs they cut, but it appears the industry is going through one of the largest retrenchments in its history

Bengaluru: Swapana Bhosale was stunned when she found out earlier this month she was losing her job at tech services provider Cognizant Technology Solutions in India. Layoffs in the business are rare, particularly if employees are in the middle of client assignments like she was.

“Pulling people out of projects to sack them is unheard of in our industry,” said Bhosale, who demanded to be fired rather than resign so she can take legal action.

The 36-year-old sees an unusual culprit behind job losses in the country’s outsourcing industry: US President Donald J. Trump. She thinks his immigration policies are contributing to early cutbacks, aggravating losses that come from automation and softer customer demand. Cognizant and peers like Infosys Ltd and Wipro Ltd won’t disclose how many jobs they cut, but it appears the industry is going through one of the largest retrenchments in its three-decade-plus history.

Bhosale’s not alone in blaming Trump. In cities like Bengaluru, Chennai, Pune, Hyderabad and Kolkata, thousands of engineers who have been axed or face dismissal are banding together on social networks and WhatsApp groups to decry Trump’s policies. They are discussing the creation of the first industrywide IT labour union, which may foreshadow broader changes in a $110-billion business at the heart of India’s economy.

“People are angry,” said 25-year-old Pankaj Kumar Singh, a software analyst who was dismissed from Cognizant’s Kolkata operation after two years at the company. “They feel Trump’s policies have a lot to do with the firings.”

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
After being in school forever I'm finishing my CS degree this summer. Looking to get a cert or 2 by the end of the year. What ones should I get to maximize my resume. I think I to get into cyber security but any advice would be helpful

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
After being in school forever I'm finishing my CS degree this summer. Looking to get a cert or 2 by the end of the year. What ones should I get to maximize my resume. I think I to get into cyber security but any advice would be helpful

This may help. I'm sort of using it to plan which certs I'm going to get

it-certification-roadmap-front.jpg

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
If you have a CS degree what do you need certs for?

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps

The best thing for you is to work on your github and get an Internship. We have to get certs because we lack formal knowledge in IT and CS. The fact that you have a degree gives you the chance to start in a mid-level position (Developer, Sys/Net admin, Consultant etc.)

If you insist on getting a cert then you should get the RHCSA or the OSCP. Your knowledge of programming will come in handy for both certs. The RHCSA will lead you down the path to a Site Reliability Engineer. You can pivot into Cyber security with it too. The OSCP will get you a job as a Pen Tester. It is not an easy exam, but I recommend it to anyone that is serious about security.

Red pill or Blue pill? Pick one.

Last edited:

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
The best thing for you is to work on your github and get an Internship. We have to get certs because we lack formal knowledge in IT and CS. The fact that you have a degree gives you the chance to start in a mid-level position (Developer, Sys/Net admin, Consultant etc.)

If you are insistent on getting a cert then you should get the RHCSA or the OSCP. Your knowledge of programming will come in handy for both certs. The RHCSA will lead you down the path to a Site Reliability Engineer. You can pivot into Cyber security with it too. The OSCP will get you a job as a Pen Tester. It is not an easy exam, but I recommend it to anyone that is serious about security.

Red pill or Blue pill? Pick one.
Thanks!!! Another reason is I don't think I want to be siting at a desk programing all day as a career. Maybe I'm just a lil burnt right now from doing all the time or something so I was looking to get in a cs career field where I didn't have to be program heavy all the time