IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
anyone ever relocate to a different city/state for work?

Moved to Austin for my current role. It's a bit of a tech hub.

Had an interview for another role. I've been interviewing with them the past month. The reason for the jump if you haven't seen my previous posts is that I'm feeling that my boss in my current role doesn't like me and he is making it very uncomfortable for me to work there.

I hope I get the job. It seems like it's a good culture fit for me and they appreciate my enthusiasm. One of the VPs said though that I'd be more on the Junior end of things for this type of role, Site Reliability Engineer, but he said that it seems you are active in technology and will search for answers. Truth be told this role is relatively new on the scene so it's hard to find a perfect fit. The VP and the hiring manager really seem to like me and I'm going to check out the downtown office tomorrow after work.

I was lead into answers on some of them. Part of it was my own nervousness and lack of preparation (I have been doing certain stuff for my job now and used to that). But like I said it seems that my enthusiasm and team fit will trump that. I've proved I can learn because the hiring manager gave me something a few weeks ago to work on and I was able to talk about it.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Recruiter reached out about a job a few weeks ago paying $xxx,xxx or $30k more than my base. Few days later I interviewed with the internal HR lady and I reaffirmed what the recruiter said and told her my target was between The value mentioned earlier and 5-10k more. She later set up an interview with the hiring manager that went very well.

Fast forward a few days later the 3rd party recruiter calls me up saying they really liked me but due to budget limitations they would only be able to give me $15k less than what me and HR discussed. It's def a deal breaker because I'd be going from a 5 minute round trip commute to a 1 hour + commute. It's funny how they play these games trying to lowball a brother :gucci:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Man where the hell do I go to find deployment projects? That's all I was seeing two years ago

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yooo im about fed up with this job man. The lack of planning and documentation I can't take this anymore. June makes 6 months I think im not sure I can finish the year here :dead:

Never will I work at a small company AGAIN

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So I got an email this morning...being my phone is broke (overheated). :stopitslime:

Hey AdvantageSouthpaw,

I was able to sync up with the team last night and wanted to see if you had sometime today for me to give you a call? Let me know what your availability is like throughout the day.

Thanks!

Looks like I may have got it brehs :mjgrin: I don't think I recruiter contacts you unless you got the job.

I was actually at a Happy Hour event at the office I would be working should I get it and the recruiter is in SF so I haven't been able to talk with him just yet...

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So I got an email this morning...being my phone is broke (overheated). :stopitslime:

Hey AdvantageSouthpaw,

I was able to sync up with the team last night and wanted to see if you had sometime today for me to give you a call? Let me know what your availability is like throughout the day.

Thanks!

Looks like I may have got it brehs :mjgrin: I don't think I recruiter contacts you unless you got the job.

I was actually at a Happy Hour event at the office I would be working should I get it and the recruiter is in SF so I haven't been able to talk with him just yet...

What company? PM if needed.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What company? PM if needed.

yeah well I didn't get it. Some knowledge gaps especially in Puppet (configuration management) and some of the networking stuff

but they said that there isn't a period where I can't come back and interview again so I can always learn the stuff

I can always interview elsewhere in the interim. I just can't stay where I'm at right now since it's pretty toxic for me right now.

Pretty rare that they would send a phone call to me for a role instead of just an email

I'll PM you.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Re looking at my CCNA books to brush up on networking. It has been the crux of some of my major final round interviews. I had spots of it missing when interviewing for Indeed.

Pretty sure if I interview again and I can get my networking and programming down I will be good. It's just easy to get rusty when you are in a role.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Yooo im about fed up with this job man. The lack of planning and documentation I can't take this anymore. June makes 6 months I think im not sure I can finish the year here :dead:

I'm literally going through the same thing right now. I make 3 months next week. Im fixing up my resume and bout to start the hunt again :francis:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps

Unfortunately it doesn't just happen at small companies. I'm dealing with an absolute mess that was created by multiple people who no longer work with me and left nothing behind.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm literally going through the same thing right now. I make 3 months next week. Im fixing up my resume and bout to start the hunt again :francis:

Breh ive had enough :dead: The network engineer i work with is one of those nerdy know it all types so you can imagine dealing with that everyday :snoop:

Unfortunately it doesn't just happen at small companies. I'm dealing with an absolute mess that was created by multiple people who no longer work with me and left nothing behind.

That may be true but idk working at bigger companies I felt there was some what order there

I guess it all depends where you go..The signs were here when i got hired and i ignored it :sadcam: