IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I got TestOut till March 18 I'm hitting it 3 hours a day, I honestly prefer a book over that video crap but it's free included in the course.

I'm take the n+ again after I try the s+ first I'm just at this job saving till I leave. I really want to do this 10+ hours a day and once I leave here I can.

I will try that dude out.

Check out Professor Messer as well. Good information and its free.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Check out Professor Messer as well. Good information and its free.

Very basic information got that already the real test it's a bit different than just memorize memorize stuff.

His monthly classes are better.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
My linkedin been doing numbers lately :banderas:

Im not in the market but def excited about whats out there when i do ever decide to look.
I'm starting to get play off of LinkedIn. I have an email from a recruiter I need to respond to sometime soon.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
H-1B employers face stricter rules

H-1B employers face stricter rules
More federal scrutiny, investigations and threats of lawsuits

something it has never done before: It's encouraging people to file H-1B abuse complaints.

This week the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Department of Labor each posted information about how to file a complaint against suspected H-1B abuse. It's a clear signal that government scrutiny of H-1B use will intensify and that the U.S. may challenge employers.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Does anyone have experience as a Solution Architect? How is the work/life balance? I assumed Solution Architecture and Sales Engineering were one in the same. A few posts in this thread mentioned that Sales Engineer's make commission. According to Glassdoor; Solution Architects make salary. They are both sales oriented roles so SA's should make commission too.

For those that are interested in SA; Amazon has an Associate Solution Architect position. It does not require 10 years exp. like the avg. Architect position. They expect you to know a lot though.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Does anyone have experience as a Solution Architect? How is the work/life balance? I assumed Solution Architecture and Sales Engineering were one in the same. A few posts in this thread mentioned that Sales Engineer's make commission. According to Glassdoor; Solution Architects make salary. They are both sales oriented roles so SA's should make commission too.

For those that are interested in SA; Amazon has an Associate Solution Architect position. It does not require 10 years exp. like the avg. Architect position. They expect you to know a lot though.
I don't think of Solution Architect as a sales position. Most solution architects I know of are involved on the project further than the sale. But then, I'm not exactly sure what the role of a sales engineer is. Is that like pre-sales?

Back to Solution Architect, Depending on the company, they may make salary with commission as bonus though.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone do any android development and have tips they've learned along the way? I'm about to be balls deep in a project within the next couple of weeks and I'd like to avoid some rookie mistakes.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
@730BlackMage I'm sure you are right. It varies between companies how technical the position actually is. In reference to Amazon; it seems like they focus more on sales, and let the support engineers build the solution. I think the SA 'designs' the Solution (on premise network with AWS), and gives the client a cost benefit analysis. Again, I'm not sure, that's why I asked.

I believe it is Pre-sales when people refer to Sales Engineering. @Ice_MF_Mike can you share some insight on Sales Engineering? What the position entails and how it is similar or different from Solution Architecture.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
@730BlackMage I'm sure you are right. It varies between companies how technical the position actually is. In reference to Amazon; it seems like they focus more on sales, and let the support engineers build the solution. I think the SA 'designs' the Solution (on premise network with AWS), and gives the client a cost benefit analysis. Again, I'm not sure, that's why I asked.

I believe it is Pre-sales when people refer to Sales Engineering. @Ice_MF_Mike can you share some insight on Sales Engineering? What the position entails and how it is similar or different from Solution Architecture.

Sales and or Solution engineering is sales related. Solition architects are pretty much the highest level developers, admins, business analyst design solutions that others will actually code or build. The step above solution architect is enterprise architect where you design company architecture

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Sales and or Solution engineering is sales related. Solition architects are pretty much the highest level developers, admins, business analyst design solutions that others will actually code or build. The step above solution architect is enterprise architect where you design company architecture

So that's when TOGAF and the other Architect Frameworks come into play. Look at all these different types of roles: Solution Architect, Enterprise Architect, Cloud Architect, and Security Architect. Nothing but opportunity out here. No time for excuses.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So that's when TOGAF and the other Architect Frameworks come into play. Look at all these different types of roles: Solution Architect, Enterprise Architect, Cloud Architect, and Security Architect. Nothing but opportunity out here. No time for excuses.

Those are all super senior level roles though lol. You dont just up and become an architect. Typically architect roles are the routes seasoned vets go if they dont want to move into management.