IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
A+
Network+
Sec+

Legit IT? :patrice: maybe 6 years, resume says otherwise

I'm on it all the time :shaq: except when I don't have school or class. This shyt be making my damn sex drive ridiculous:snoop:

I wanna try to get off for a while and try some natural shyt to reset my tolerance.

What skills do you put on your resume when you have the certifications but not the experience? Skills you have no "hands on" with work experience yet.

Like for instance.

Certifications:
Operating Systems:
Networking:
Software/Tools:
Hardware:
Languages:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
What skills do you put on your resume when you have the certifications but not the experience? Skills you have no "hands on" with work experience yet.

Like for instance.

Certifications:
Operating Systems:
Networking:
Software/Tools:
Hardware:
Languages:
Whatever they asking for, then I look it up on youtube :manny:

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Whatever they asking for, then I look it up on youtube :manny:

So you'll alter the resume for every job you apply for? :manny:

Put in more skills when they require, take out some when they require.

Daps
Reppin
MD/NY
I got an offer of 55K for an entry level software engineer position once I graduate this May, still waiting for another offer that I think will have a higher pay off.
Feels good to almost be free :wow:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Syracuse, the other offer I'm still waiting for is in Minneapolis.

oh ok not bad as I assume the cost of living is low there. Make a 3 and 5 yr plan and you should be good money. IF you get good at what you do you should be able to get 6 figures after 5 yrs (assuming you do not move to a city with high costs of living thus they give out 6 figures easy).

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I got an offer of 55K for an entry level software engineer position once I graduate this May, still waiting for another offer that I think will have a higher pay off.
Feels good to almost be free :wow:
:salute: Take that job and in like a year or 2 you can easily leave and get double that

Especially for a software engineer :wow:

Daps
in my opinion...The job market is not good, not even in tech. I work in SEO/SEM/etc. so I work closely with yall front end/back end web devs and shyt as well as IT and Data Scientists. There is QUANTITY but ZERO QUALITY. FINTECH COs in particular are fukking bullshyt do not try to work for a FinTech company unless it's an incubator within a larger company - I don't care who invested in them it is a White boy Fraternity club. Don't care what the statistics say they don't apply to us as Black Men. I FINALLY just got a decent position after searching just under 6 months (prior to that I was laid off) receiving unemployment bennies and have had at least 20+ interviews (lost count after that honestly) where I met or slightly exceeded the paper requirements.

But due to stupid reasons (mostly kool-aid) in 90% of circumstances THEY ACTUALLY NEVER HIRED ANYONE FOR THE JOB IN MANY CASES. THERE HAVE BEEN POSITIONS OPEN MORE THAN ONE YEAR!!!!! SOME EVEN TWO YEARS!!!!!...

Yall worried about "Fake News" well the next thing is gonna be "Fake jobs":

NYS Unemployment you need to keep electronic records and I want to inquire with them that they need to investigate ALL of these companies I interviewed with. They need to bring these people up on charges for either advertising jobs that don't really exist (they don't need it just fishing for expert advice) or some other sort of labor law technicality including but not limited to WASTING BLACK APPLICANTS TIME WITH MULTIPLE INTERVIEWS (AND ASSESMENTS/EXERCISES IN SOME CASES) WHEN YOU KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO HIRE A nikka. Granted in retrospect I wouldn't want to work for someone who is hesitant to hire me - But the fact remains is there was no better candidate, I was the best candidate in MANY circumstances and they just flat out dropped the ball, made excuses and tried to string me along. I eventually became vicious and started cutting companies off after about 2 weeks if they couldn't decide - Especially for small nimble start-ups who supposedly have "NO RED TAPE" and get shyt done quick. I began giving them deadlines. The reality may very well have been I was smarter than the hiring manager and they just couldn't stomach it. But when has being the smartest negro in the room stopped Black Men from being hired or promoted. As long as I'm not acting braggadocious you shouldn't feel threatened. But it's impossible to make Whites feel comfortable a lot of times. The job I just got hired at my Boss is White and his Boss is Black. They don't seem to have any issues. I interviewed with them both.

There is A LOT of bullshyt out there in general especially for Black folk in tech. And to be honest just because HR is Black it won't help you actually sometimes it hurts you. At least 5 of the companies one of the HR people were Black. Those companies got back to me with the immediate automated rejection e-mail 24 hours after the interview after having me do all these stupid assessments/skill tests and what not. What is funny is there are a lot of GOOD PEOPLE working for BAD CORPORATE CULTURES. This one White girl added me on LinkedIN we really vibed during the interview professionally and if I was single I would mos def try to smash. But that is neither here nor there.

On the whole though the start-up scene is bullshyt a lot of White boys are having problems too.

I chose this name also because HARD TIMES are ahead for most of us I am going to do the MOST to keep this gig no matter what pay down all debt, beef up my experience to the 10 year mark with wider responsibility set then BOUNCE to another country because USA is sinking and Trump ain't even the cause!!!! It's the culture that brought him into the forum in the first place we should be looking at. America can't be run like a damn company because MOST AMERICAN COMPANIES ARE DYSFUNCTIONAL AND FULL OF shyt!

1m8up3.jpg

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
yo @Ice_MF_Mike I'm looking at SOC jobs. Been working an IPS/IDS for a year and doing incident response at my help desk job, figure thats a good next step. Got Sec+ in a month, and after that what cert paths would you recommend. OSCP and/or GCIH? Achieved a pretty solid base in Python scripting, might start writing shell code...

:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
MD/NY
oh ok not bad as I assume the cost of living is low there. Make a 3 and 5 yr plan and you should be good money. IF you get good at what you do you should be able to get 6 figures after 5 yrs (assuming you do not move to a city with high costs of living thus they give out 6 figures easy).

No doubt, have a budget spreadsheet template I use to help manage my money and just focusing my priorities on paying off my school debt as quickly as possible. Cost of living is pretty decent there, seen some apartment/studio listings going for $600-$800 with utilities included.

:salute: Take that job and in like a year or 2 you can easily leave and get double that

Especially for a software engineer :wow:

Word, they do yearly salary reviews so I'll have plenty of opportunities to advance forever how long I stay. Just waiting to hear back on one more potential offer for a position whose salary is hinted at being on the higher end side for engineers, before I make my decision. :salute:

Last edited: