IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
yo @Ice_MF_Mike I'm looking at SOC jobs. Been working an IPS/IDS for a year and doing incident response at my help desk job, figure thats a good next step. Got Sec+ in a month, and after that what cert paths would you recommend. OSCP and/or GCIH? Achieved a pretty solid base in Python scripting, might start writing shell code...

:yeshrug:
Just keep building your skills. fukk the certs. You got a homelab where you are testing shyt? Github for your programming stuff? If not do that. As far as certs go, always look at the jobs you want and see what certs they ask for in your area. If you are seeing OSCP or GCIH then go for those. in my realm, i see the CISSP most. I do also see OSCP and CEH. But again, really depends on where you are headed.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Just keep building your skills. fukk the certs. You got a homelab where you are testing shyt? Github for your programming stuff? If not do that. As far as certs go, always look at the jobs you want and see what certs they ask for in your area. If you are seeing OSCP or GCIH then go for those. in my realm, i see the CISSP most. I do also see OSCP and CEH. But again, really depends on where you are headed.

Yea, I have a homelab setup with metasploit, kali linux etc. I'm definitely going to upload my programming to Github though. thanks

Last edited:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
You use Netlab for hacking demo? I used thst website.

I'm using OverTheWire at the moment. Still an absolute beginner and it's good for learning bash.

Side note I realized my knowledge of Windows and Linux system architecture is fukking terrible :snoop: ordered a bunch of books to get better understanding

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trynna get MCSA windows server 2012 r2 as my second cert. I'm finding it really boring compared to CCNA. My workplace uses Microsoft a lot but can't see myself doing anymore MCSA certs if Azure/Office 365 are as boring as Server 2012 :francis:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Anybody do IT gigs or temp projects in their spare time off like Craigslist?

I'm thinking about setting up a service on Thumbtack.com

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
Anybody do IT gigs or temp projects in their spare time off like Craigslist?

I'm thinking about setting up a service on Thumbtack.com

I did one for the supervisor of elections office through Apple one.

Alot of them are scams though.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I did one for the supervisor of elections office through Apple one.

Alot of them are scams though.
Yeah, bout to check out thumbtack tho. Gonna see what others are charging first and then undercut em to get my reviews up first :lolbron:

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
is it a good idea to live off saving for a few months and to get some certifications?

I need more time to study and get experience.

I work a non IT job and I'm pretty much losing it mentality. I need to get these certifications, I finished the classes to cyber-security.

Failed the N+ the time, need to study and retake.

The issue is I pretty much work at all day and get home at 630pm and I'm dead tired. I wake up at 5am. and leave at 625am.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
is it a good idea to live off saving for a few months and to get some certifications?

I need more time to study and get experience.

I work a non IT job and I'm pretty much losing it mentality. I need to get these certifications, I finished the classes to cyber-security.

Failed the N+ the time, need to study and retake.

The issue is I pretty much work at all day and get home at 630pm and I'm dead tired. I wake up at 5am. and leave at 625am.

Do you have a degree? Id just go back to college because then you can learn, have time to study for certs and qualify for internships which could lead to legit jobs.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you have a degree? Id just go back to college because then you can learn, have time to study for certs and qualify for internships which could lead to legit jobs.

I just completed a cybersecurity course at mcfatter technical center in florida. I have a old tech year that old.

I got bills to pay though, I'm not young enough to do that right now.

Th cybersecurity course is basically testout:hhh: to attain the N,S and A comptia certifications.

The state paid for it because I don't make anything for a grown man. I finished and got my certificate but need the certs and failed the N+ the first time. The real questions where much harder than the shyt on the practice test.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I just completed a cybersecurity course at mcfatter technical center in florida. I have a old tech year that old.

I got bills to pay though, I'm not young enough to do that right now.

Th cybersecurity course is basically testout:hhh: to attain the N,S and A comptia certifications.

The state paid for it because I don't make anything for a grown man. I finished and got my certificate but need the certs and failed the N+ the first time. The real questions where much harder than the shyt on the practice test.

Do you already have a degree? Granted Im not in HR but having an employment gap to study for certs vs having an employment gap to go to school just sound diff even though both are pretty much you taking time off to build yourself.

Me personally i would never quit my job to have time to study for certs.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
Do you already have a degree? Granted Im not in HR but having an employment gap to study for certs vs having an employment gap to go to school just sound diff even though both are pretty much you taking time off to build yourself.

Me personally i would never quit my job to have time to study for certs.

depends on how you look at it, if it's very time consuming and has nothing to do with IT you probably wouldn't say the same.

Employments gaps matter if you have real employment and jobs to correspond with each other.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
@Scott Larock You should try Darril Gibson's Network+ study guide. It cost 29.99 for 30 days of access. It will help with the performance-based questions too.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
@Scott Larock You should try Darril Gibson's Network+ study guide. It cost 29.99 for 30 days of access. It will help with the performance-based questions too.

I got TestOut till March 18 I'm hitting it 3 hours a day, I honestly prefer a book over that video crap but it's free included in the course.

I'm take the n+ again after I try the s+ first I'm just at this job saving till I leave. I really want to do this 10+ hours a day and once I leave here I can.

I will try that dude out.