IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Anyone working in Cyber Security? What's the field like (hours/pay/hoes etc)? I have no certs but I'm going to start with CompTIA A+ and then work on Security +...anyone got any recommendations for the best study materials for these?

I work cyber security for a medium sized company.

Hours: I'm on call 24/7 but have the flexibility to work from home

Pay: Pay is great since there is so much demand for security people

Hoes: Like someone said above if you're looking for hoes go be a tech at a hospital.

I have my A+ and Security+(want to get CCNA Security this year). I would say Security+ is a good start. It also helps to have knowledge in other areas of IT as well depending on what your focus will be. I focus mainly on endpoint security and incident response so Windows knowledge helps tremendously. Anyways if you have other questions let me know.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Hoes: Like someone said above if you're looking for hoes go be a tech at a hospital.

I have my A+ and Security+(want to get CCNA Security this year). I would say Security+ is a good start. It also helps to have knowledge in other areas of IT as well depending on what your focus will be. I focus mainly on endpoint security and incident response so Windows knowledge helps tremendously. Anyways if you have other questions let me know.

Props on the info. Did you get your start at entry level help desk? All I have is an A+ and I'm currently studying for Network+ and then I'll knock out the Security+.

Daps
Reppin
MD

How did you get into incident response? do you like it? What kind of IR work do you do?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Props on the info. Did you get your start at entry level help desk? All I have is an A+ and I'm currently studying for Network+ and then I'll knock out the Security+.

Yes I started at the help desk. At the time I had no idea where I wanted to be in IT so I used my time there to learn as much as I could and try to figure out my path. Help desk isn't terrible but do not get comfortable there otherwise years will fly by and you will still be there. At the help desk level you will interact with people from the various teams. Try to learn from them and show that you are a valuable resource and you'll be out of there quickly.

How did you get into incident response? do you like it? What kind of IR work do you do?

Since endpoint security is my main focus, IR and data loss prevention are secondary roles for me. So I kind of just got tossed into it. Its the reason why I'm on call 24/7. As for my role in IR, I deal with the endpoints so an example would be if a device is showing some suspicious behavior, I would isolate the device(we have tools to isolate it from the network to keep anything from spreading), investigate the device and once it's been determine that it is indeed infected, begin cleanup efforts. On a side note, remember that security isn't just about protecting the company from the enemy on the outside but also from the enemy within. Hope that little bit of info helps.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Yes I started at the help desk. At the time I had no idea where I wanted to be in IT so I used my time there to learn as much as I could and try to figure out my path. Help desk isn't terrible but do not get comfortable there otherwise years will fly by and you will still be there. At the help desk level you will interact with people from the various teams. Try to learn from them and show that you are a valuable resource and you'll be out of there quickly.

Since endpoint security is my main focus, IR and data loss prevention are secondary roles for me. So I kind of just got tossed into it. Its the reason why I'm on call 24/7. As for my role in IR, I deal with the endpoints so an example would be if a device is showing some suspicious behavior, I would isolate the device(we have tools to isolate it from the network to keep anything from spreading), investigate the device and once it's been determine that it is indeed infected, begin cleanup efforts. On a side note, remember that security isn't just about protecting the company from the enemy on the outside but also from the enemy within. Hope that little bit of info helps.
Good looks. I'm working with active directory right now, but I'm trying to get into something more technical like pen testing or IR. What type of job experience did you need for endpoint security?

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Good looks. I'm working with active directory right now, but I'm trying to get into something more technical like pen testing or IR. What type of job experience did you need for endpoint security?

From talking to the pen testers on the team it seems like it's a lot of fun but it also seems like you have to really know programming, both were developers before they got into pen testing. They suggested I read The Violent Python and learn python if I ever wanted to switch teams. As for job experience, I started at the help desk worked my way to desktop support. While I was a desktop support tech I worked pretty much with every team and tried to learn as much as I could about everything in our environment. Anytime there was an issue I had to assign to another team I would follow up asking how it was resolved so that next time I could handle the ticket and add to my knowledge. The security team was small at the time and the endpoint guy was working on a project to encrypt a large number of laptops in a short amount of time. He asked if I would like to learn something new and help. I said yeah and worked with him on the project. A little while later I had finished my net+ and was waiting for something to open up on the network team when the endpoint guy pulled me aside and asked if I wanted to join his team. And that's how I managed to get into security. Sorry if I ramble on. I hope I at least answered your question.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
An internship system admin position? :what: Where they do that at?

Go over the job requirements then be ready to relate the experience that's on your resume to what they're wanting in a candidate
:sas2: thank you

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody got a plug on CBT nuggets? Been using the 1 week free offer and it's pretty but the monthly price after that is too much.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
:shaq:

duties
  • Configuring, deploying, troubleshooting, maintaining and supporting company LAN/WAN, firewall and numerous other network technologies
  • Providing support to end users by troubleshooting and resolving issues
  • Helping coordinate help desk tickets
  • Participating in team meetings
  • Performing other duties as assigned

• Familiarity with Network technologies configuration, administration and troubleshooting
  • Knowledge of Cisco ASA firewalls, VPNs, routers, switches, and similar devices a plus
  • Familiarity with emerging networking protocols and concepts
  • Knowledge of commercial IP routers and Ethernet switches
  • Familiarity with various commercial and open-source network testing tools

I only have Desktop Support experience :francis:
Me too, and I'm at 60k right now. Why would you do that for free when you can get a contract with a minimum of $20 per hour? :wtf:

Anybody got a plug on CBT nuggets? Been using the 1 week free offer and it's pretty but the monthly price after that is too much.

Had to end up getting me a month membership for my MCSA. shyt is dope as fukk.

Trying to get my manager to get a company license