IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Like I sai

Like I said maybe in development environment but it would have to be converted over so why not do it right to start? I'm sure you have seen some terrible scripts. Like really nikka. Multiple round trips to the DB to get data that can be returned in one trip. Or that guy that gets more data than is needed just to loop through it and filter it out on the application side when it could be done more efficiently. Or those who don't really understand joins, or how functions work.

Measure twice cut once.
Thats true. But I've also worked in IT departments where there's more work than developers and simple data requests either get in the way, or don't get done. I'd allow them to use the Reporting database though. I don't see many cases where they would need to get data from production.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
Thats true. But I've also worked in IT departments where there's more work than developers and simple data requests either get in the way, or don't get done. I'd allow them to use the Reporting database though. I don't see many cases where they would need to get data from production.

Never from prod. Like I said development I could go with. Reporting, as long as is not on demand yeah (not prod). But from an application or something that will eventually Connect to prod I need those protocols. If the developer is good enough I would give him access in a development environment to create his/her own stored pods, views, functions or whatever. But inline scripts from the application :patrice:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Anyone working in Cyber Security? What's the field like (hours/pay/hoes etc)? I have no certs but I'm going to start with CompTIA A+ and then work on Security +...anyone got any recommendations for the best study materials for these?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anyone working in Cyber Security? What's the field like (hours/pay/hoes etc)? I have no certs but I'm going to start with CompTIA A+ and then work on Security +...anyone got any recommendations for the best study materials for these?

If you looking for women go work in a hospital lol

Daps
Reppin
MD
I do. Cybersecurity consultant, 40 hours billable and sometimes non-billable hours. The pay is great for only having 2 years of security experience. Salary range in the security field can range from 50k-250k+ depending on what you do and what type of experience you have.

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do. Cybersecurity consultant, 40 hours billable and sometimes non-billable hours. The pay is great for only having 2 years of security experience. Salary range in the security field can range from 50k-250k+ depending on what you do and what type of experience you have.

I thought about going the Cybersecurity route. Do you agree with getting all of these certs in this order: CSA+, Network+, Security+. :jbhmm:

ben anderson

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
MD
can you list what certs i should get in order and how long it would take to get them. i have plenty of free time for studying.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars

How's the work environment? Stressful, relaxed? Work/life balance is a big deal imo. Do you feel the work gets monotonous? Are there a lot of brehs where you work?

Daps
Reppin
MD
I thought about going the Cybersecurity route. Do you agree with getting all of these certs in this order: CSA+, Network+, Security+. :jbhmm:
After looking at the comptia website the order should go: net+, sec+, CSA+
But I did some more research and not many jobs are checking for the csa+

can you list what certs i should get in order and how long it would take to get them. i have plenty of free time for studying.
I only, have my security+ right now, So I'm not the best person to ask that question. I'm trying to finish up my masters this summer so I can dedicated my full attention to the CISSP.
But the security+ can be knocked out in less than a month of studying. If you don't have a strong understanding of networking, it wouldn't hurt to study for the net+ but not necessary to take the exam.

How's the work environment? Stressful, relaxed? Work/life balance is a big deal imo. Do you feel the work gets monotonous? Are there a lot of brehs where you work?

During the busy season, consulting can become very stressful or when the client has some crazy deadline you need to meet. No 2 days are the same. I'm on the federal side so I only bill 40 hours a week unless overtime is needed. I know people on the commercial side that bill and travel alot more than me. One of my boy gets to travel to other countries for work sometimes. There are times when work/life balance becomes non existence but I'm typically good at not checking work emails after a certain time or working on the weekends. My boss is very flexible in my schedule. Some days I will work from home, other days I will be on client site, other days I will work a few hours at home then head into the main office for a few hours then go back home. As long as I bill 40 hours they aren't really tripping when I work as long as I attend at meetings that I'm required to attend. Since I'm in the Dc area we have a large population of the brehs, but on a global scale we are a very small percentage.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I only, have my security+ right now, So I'm not the best person to ask that question. I'm trying to finish up my masters this summer so I can dedicated my full attention to the CISSP.
But the security+ can be knocked out in less than a month of studying. If you don't have a strong understanding of networking, it wouldn't hurt to study for the net+ but not necessary to take the exam.

During the busy season, consulting can become very stressful or when the client has some crazy deadline you need to meet. No 2 days are the same. I'm on the federal side so I only bill 40 hours a week unless overtime is needed. I know people on the commercial side that bill and travel alot more than me. One of my boy gets to travel to other countries for work sometimes. There are times when work/life balance becomes non existence but I'm typically good at not checking work emails after a certain time or working on the weekends. My boss is very flexible in my schedule. Some days I will work from home, other days I will be on client site, other days I will work a few hours at home then head into the main office for a few hours then go back home. As long as I bill 40 hours they aren't really tripping when I work as long as I attend at meetings that I'm required to attend. Since I'm in the Dc area we have a large population of the brehs, but on a global scale we are a very small percentage.

There's a MSP that's looking to hire me but I'm hesitant to leave my current role that's laid back and easy on the workflow load. The consulting job would pay more but I'm completating on if the added stress will even be worth it. How long have you been at your current role?

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Would we pretty much have to start out in a help desk role even if we obtain the Network+ and Security+?

Daps
Reppin
MD
There's a MSP that's looking to hire me but I'm hesitant to leave my current role that's laid back and easy on the workflow load. The consulting job would pay more but I'm completating on if the added stress will even be worth it. How long have you been at your current role?
Only 3 months. I left my old firm to join one of their competitors.