IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
SXSW is going on in town and I talked to some startups here. Pretty cool.

The start up culture is so much fun. Something about it is magical compared to the corporate world :wow:
Who all did you talk to? That startup life does seem dope as hell (as it did way before the Silicon Valley series).

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Who all did you talk to? That startup life does seem dope as hell (as it did way before the Silicon Valley series).

WP Engine (I have friends there), Duo Mobile (two factor authentication app), Indeed, and some people who had start up ideas. Got a few cards.

Yeah start up seems cool. Just fukking write an idea on a napkin and try and make it happen lol.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
WP Engine (I have friends there), Duo Movie (two factor authentication app), Indeed, and some people who had start up ideas. Got a few cards.

Yeah start up seems cool. Just fukking write an idea on a napkin and try and make it happen lol.

start ups are a great way to get fast experience since you typically will wear numerous hats in your role. Only thing is you will probably be company hopping every 2-3 yrs but people do that in this thread anyways.

Other thing is if the start up doesnt have legit funding then you probably won't make an insane amount and regardless of pay you will be worked like hell.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
To brehs who do the remote + full time job hustle.

Do you guys tell the remote company that you already have a job or do you just say eff it?

I found a 100% remote gig with a start up and don't want to leave my current gig. Being that it's a start up would it be worth trying to convince I could do part time? or just shoot the shot for the full time gig?

BLAZO da GAWD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW ERA
Folks...

I have a cousin that's been a programmer for going on 15 years now. Has a masters in something too. What certifications can he look to acquire to get the higher paying jobs in IT or even programming?

I saw a thread on here last week and a lot of coli heads who work in IT pulled over $100k/year. Salute to y'all.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Folks...

I have a cousin that's been a programmer for going on 15 years now. Has a masters in something too. What certifications can he look to acquire to get the higher paying jobs in IT or even programming?

I saw a thread on here last week and a lot of coli heads who work in IT pulled over $100k/year. Salute to y'all.

He has 15 yrs experience, lol the hell would he need a certifications for?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So you saying he could break into a high paying IT career without all the certs? I figured the certs would strengthen his case and get him the bargaining power for the better salary:.. :patrice:

he's been programming for 15 yrs, he should already be a high earner.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
But he doesn't, and I think that primarily has to do with his company pretty much being a city job with city contracts.

not trying to be an ass by the way.

I assume he has been at the same job for 15 yrs. Assuming he programs in a modern language, he should be able to simply go into the market and get the right salary no issue. IF he is using some outdated language like COBOL or something then thats another story. Programmers dont need certs.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
Why shouldn't they be allowed to run data queries?

Because of what @se1f_made said. The data is the root of everything. I would have them submit a request of the dataset they would like to receive. Those request would be either written as stored procedures or views. Then you can assign restrictions to only execute certain procedures. Wouldn't casually let some one with limited experience execute uncontrolled queries.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Because of what @se1f_made said. The data is the root of everything. I would have them submit a request of the dataset they would like to receive. Those request would be either written as stored procedures or views. Then you can assign restrictions to only execute certain procedures. Wouldn't casually let some one with limited experience execute uncontrolled queries.
I think simple read access would be fine for someone with limited knowledge. I would rather not have my database team managing 1 off stored procedures.

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack

Maybe in a development environment I would grant that access. Maybe:manny:

poppastoppa

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Crack
Like I sai
I think simple read access would be fine for someone with limited knowledge. I would rather not have my database team managing 1 off stored procedures.

Like I said maybe in development environment but it would have to be converted over so why not do it right to start? I'm sure you have seen some terrible scripts. Like really nikka. Multiple round trips to the DB to get data that can be returned in one trip. Or that guy that gets more data than is needed just to loop through it and filter it out on the application side when it could be done more efficiently. Or those who don't really understand joins, or how functions work.

Measure twice cut once.