IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Finally, getting up to speed at my new job. Just got out of a team meeting and they were asking anyone who has powershell experience or want to take on the powershell scripting task. Now I need all the AD and Powershell gurus to link me to a crash course guide on these topics.

This is the link I used to get caught up to speed when I first started leaning PS

Windows PowerShell Tutorial - Introduction Microsoft's new scripting language

The most important thing is to just use it everyday. Instead of doing a task in the GUI, do it in PS instead. About a month or two you should be proficient enough to get some basic automation tasks done.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just got my first offer for Help Desk. No more warehouse job brehs. No more slavin away 12 hour shifts for 8.75 an hour brehs.

9aocv7.jpg

Congrats breh, but in 6-12 months you're gonna be wishing you had that warehouse job back :mjlol:

Bout to buckle down and save money, get my A+/Net+, and try and get a permanent position so I can try and move up within the company. My goal is to be getting salaried somewhere by this time next year. Maybe try to finesse my way into a government job.

Just some advice from an old nikka, don't stay at your first gig for more than 18 months. The hardest part is getting the first job, the 2nd hardest part is getting out of help desk.

Learn everything you can at this gig, figure out where in IT you want to be, then start studying for the certs that will make you the most money. Your next goal should be to specialize in something and try to get to the top of your field

There's a lot of bread in IT, but NONE of it is in helpdesk.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A college friend hit me up and invited me to a tech party this weekend. She does a bit of stuff around here for start ups. Pays to be nice to people

Insun Park

Fukk Em
Daps
Yeahhhh after this year contract is up I'm done with help desk. I'm pretty much ready to take my sec+ test so I'll have plenty of time this year to get ny other certs. Can't deal with these dumbass questions for much longer.
They're holding you to a contract?

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
They're holding you to a contract?

Yeah it's a year long contract with a big law firm in my city. shyt can be stressful at times cause some of the more successful lawyers there get pushy if you don't fix their problems within 10 minutes.

Insun Park

Fukk Em
Daps
Yeah it's a year long contract with a big law firm in my city. shyt can be stressful at times cause some of the more successful lawyers there get pushy if you don't fix their problems within 10 minutes.
I'm not sure if I would have even accepted that shyt fukk being stuck at help desk for a whole year :pachaha: but you did what you had to do

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
I'm not sure if I would have even accepted that shyt fukk being stuck at help desk for a whole year :pachaha: but you did what you had to do

Yep, I can leave early if I get job offer after 3 months though. Have to put in at least 90 days on the contract.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Went on an interview yesterday, it went well but the IT director seemed kind of spacey, the facilities aren't nearly as nice as my current environment and I probably won't be learning much and adding 45 minutes to my daily commute. However it'd be a $15-25k raise from my current base, not having to be on call 24/7, and jeans + sneakers everyday. Would y'all leave your current job and get this money or wait for better opportunities?