IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How do guys handle being stretched thin because you are good at your job? Do you use it to negotiate a bigger raise come time for merit increases OR if you dont plan on being somewhere too long use it to built your value so if you test the markets for a new gig and get an offer your current company will match or exceed? Trying to see playing the long game (somewhat long game) or trying to finesse right away?
Second one, management won't give you a raise just because u feel like u deserve one. Give them an ultimatum and be ready to bounce if they don't meet your demands

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Second one, management won't give you a raise just because u feel like u deserve one. Give them an ultimatum and be ready to bounce if they don't meet your demands

Yeah i figure a company will be on some "but your doing whats part of your job description :troll:"

My philosophy is stay long enough with a company to see if they value you and promote you within a certain time period. Being that I am further along in my career i have been able to come and contribute right away in my last two roles and of course his has helped me increase my salary.

Some companies are just cheap too

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Coli IT gawds let us discuss

SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9 Credential

The courses for this certification costs about $3000 :patrice:

Can coli brehs show me thrifty ways to prepare for this test or should I pay for those courses? :lupe:

ETA: Like I said before, I don't know shyt about this IT stuff

Nobody is going to answer my questions? :martin:

I want answers!!:damn:

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah i figure a company will be on some "but your doing whats part of your job description :troll:"

My philosophy is stay long enough with a company to see if they value you and promote you within a certain time period. Being that I am further along in my career i have been able to come and contribute right away in my last two roles and of course his has helped me increase my salary.

Some companies are just cheap too

Same as how I've approached the last 2 roles I've had. Learn as much as you can in as quickly as possible, increase your value then move on to another role that'll provide not only the $ but the career track is just as important. If you strongarm then into matching a raise you better believe they'll be actively looking for your replacement so they won't get caught in that position again.

I turned down a $30k raise last fall because it's not all about the $. I would've been working with a black IT director with mostly black staff but it would've been as an exchange engineer and that's not where I want my career to track so I had to pass. They needed up hiring another breh so it's still a win for us:ehh:

knickscrusaderm

lead by example
Daps
Reppin
dark butts
What's the difference between a bachelors in Computer information systems compared to a bachelors in Computer Information Technology in terms of career options. Ultimately does it really matter what degree you have as long as you know your shyt :patrice:. Asking because I have the option of getting a 4 year degree in the next 2~2 1/2 years from a good school with career placement for minorities (:wow:) and IT is the only field i'd invest in.

Also planning to learn Java on the side, took a class in HS and killed that shyt but backed away from it.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So SXSW is happening this month in Austin and during tech week there's job fairs.

I'm going to bring a friend with me but low-key look at jobs for myself. Hopefully I won't run into a co-worker :russ:

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Haven't been back through this thread in a minute, but have any of y'all taken the CISM exam? Might gotta take this for work :patrice: heard that shyt is harder than the CISSP :patrice:

What y'all know about it?

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What is a good site to get the cheapest voucher for the A+ test?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My Pi Cluster thus far

cJeKSkP.jpg

Installed SaltStack on it (configuration management). Going to play with Docker with it.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Got work to pay and allow time off to let me take the ITIL intermediate exams. Hoping to knock out 2-3 this year

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is what I need to be doing. What kind of test scenarios are you planning for?

I think I'm going to play with certain salt states in saltstack, build my own. I want to keep it fresh in my mind. I'm actually certified in it.

Also with docker, I'll post a link later but containers are the hotness now and I've played with them before but haven't used them in production. Not sure what tests yet. Just play with some micro services and build something.

Another thing I need to do is code! I'll post some links later, but yea buy some raspberry Pis and play with them. You don't need much to test nowadays