IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think I'm going to play with certain salt states in saltstack, build my own. I want to keep it fresh in my mind. I'm actually certified in it.

Also with docker, I'll post a link later but containers are the hotness now and I've played with them before but haven't used them in production. Not sure what tests yet. Just play with some micro services and build something.

Another thing I need to do is code! I'll post some links later, but yea buy some raspberry Pis and play with them. You don't need much to test nowadays
Sounds exciting. I'm ordering a few Pi's right now. I've watched the pluralsight videos on docker and puppet and it's hard to keep up without prior experience or a homelab to test with, keep me posted with ideas or suggestions

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds exciting. I'm ordering a few Pi's right now. I've watched the pluralsight videos on docker and puppet and it's hard to keep up without prior experience or a homelab to test with, keep me posted with ideas or suggestions
My Pi Cluster thus far

cJeKSkP.jpg

Installed SaltStack on it (configuration management). Going to play with Docker with it.
What model Pi did you go with? They're calling for Pi 2 models B in that link which you posted

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What model Pi did you go with? They're calling for Pi 2 models B in that link which you posted

I have three Pi3s now and one Pi2 just buy some 3s.

Oh and I think I'm going to play with docker swarm instead of kubernetes. Less of a learning curve and I've used docker a bit. Kubernetes is Google's spin on Linux containers though.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have three Pi3s now and one Pi2 just buy some 3s.

Oh and I think I'm going to play with docker swarm instead of kubernetes. Less of a learning curve and I've used docker a bit. Kubernetes is Google's spin on Linux containers though.
What'd you do in regards to local storage? I'm reading that a shared 64gb SD card could be used for the entire cluster.. any truth to this?

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Got work to pay and allow time off to let me take the ITIL intermediate exams. Hoping to knock out 2-3 this year

I was looking into it a few months ago but switched priorities to MCSE Productivity.

Where will you get training ?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm branching out from software development. Getting into docker (devops). Also infosec :whoo: so interesting

Yeah I was dealing with virtualization for years and it is still viable, but containerization is pretty popular now and different approach to managing multiple services.

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
Yeahhhh after this year contract is up I'm done with help desk. I'm pretty much ready to take my sec+ test so I'll have plenty of time this year to get ny other certs. Can't deal with these dumbass questions for much longer.

BVII

Pro
Daps
What's the difference between a bachelors in Computer information systems compared to a bachelors in Computer Information Technology in terms of career options. Ultimately does it really matter what degree you have as long as you know your shyt :patrice:. Asking because I have the option of getting a 4 year degree in the next 2~2 1/2 years from a good school with career placement for minorities (:wow:) and IT is the only field i'd invest in.

Also planning to learn Java on the side, took a class in HS and killed that shyt but backed away from it.
To a certain extent you can obtain the same job with either degree.

The curriculum is different at every school so I would check at your school if I were you. But IS is usually more of so a business degree while IT is not. With IS a lot of the classes will be business related such as things like economics, management, and accounting. In IT the majority of your major classes will be computer related.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Finally, getting up to speed at my new job. Just got out of a team meeting and they were asking anyone who has powershell experience or want to take on the powershell scripting task. Now I need all the AD and Powershell gurus to link me to a crash course guide on these topics.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Finally, getting up to speed at my new job. Just got out of a team meeting and they were asking anyone who has powershell experience or want to take on the powershell scripting task. Now I need all the AD and Powershell gurus to link me to a crash course guide on these topics.

I suggest 'learning powershell in a month of lunches' and just googling existing scripts in areas that pertain to you and look at the context to see how they formatted it. Practicing is most important.