IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Hello coli brehs. I am in the Health Profession, I know y'all talk about A+ certs and that is the start but where can I go after that? What certs could I do after A+?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Hello coli brehs. I am in the Health Profession, I know y'all talk about A+ certs and that is the start but where can I go after that? What certs could I do after A+?
Depends on which area in IT you wanna get into. Figure that out first.

Systems Engineer?
Network Engineer?
AWS or Azure Cloud engineer?

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How does one do that? :lupe:

Thanks for the response btw.

You gotta see what interests you. To do that?

My opinion personally I feel once you get your 1st job and get to touch different technology and brush shoulders with the different teams then you can get a better idea of where you wanna be. That a give you a blueprint to what cert you wanna get next

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
You gotta see what interests you. To do that?

My opinion personally I feel once you get your 1st job and get to touch different technology and brush shoulders with the different teams then you can get a better idea of where you wanna be. That a give you a blueprint to what cert you wanna get next

:ehh: Repped

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Coli IT gawds let us discuss

SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9 Credential

The courses for this certification costs about $3000 :patrice:

Can coli brehs show me thrifty ways to prepare for this test or should I pay for those courses? :lupe:

ETA: Like I said before, I don't know shyt about this IT stuff

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Have you put your resume out yet to test the waters?
I've applied to a couple of places, but not many.

As much as I complain, there are some good things about my job. The lack of oversight means I can take my time with the few tickets that I do get. This week the majority of my time has been trying to setup a raspberry pi office jukebox that interfaces with the chat app. That isn't me messing around, I was told to do this because other offices have it.

And I'm an admin in everything: Windows server, Jira, G-suite, and AWS. From looking into the techs in the other offices, there's opportunity for me to do more, I just have to learn a lot.

gottah8me

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D(M)V
If you want to get into the DoD contracting get that Sec+ that way you are already 8570 compliant

Friskies

Black Ginger
Daps
Are these Certs in addition to a bachelor degree or in place of it?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How do guys handle being stretched thin because you are good at your job? Do you use it to negotiate a bigger raise come time for merit increases OR if you dont plan on being somewhere too long use it to built your value so if you test the markets for a new gig and get an offer your current company will match or exceed? Trying to see playing the long game (somewhat long game) or trying to finesse right away?