IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whats next after being a computer operator? I have an AS in Network & Security MGMT. But the only experience I have is on a helpdesk.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Hi
I wanted to thank yous for ALL of the information in here. It really has helped me. But a quick question,
I have A+ and Net+
Studying for Security+ solo
CCNA and Windows 7 classes in 2 weeks(looking to get those certs by April)

What should be my next move?

Also, other than help desk...what type of jobs should I be looking for as a person with entry certs and no experience?

Thanks again everyone

That's about it...you're pretty much gonna have to start out working helpdesk/desktop support. Nobody is gonna let you mess with their servers or admin their network w/no experience. You might as well accept it. The only ways that I know of to avoid starting helpdesk are:

1. Graduate from a good school w/really good grades and get accepted into one of those IT Leadership programs where they take people straight out of college and train them in a certain area.

2. Know the right person.

Neither is likely. Your best bet is to just try to get a helpdesk job at a company that trains people and promotes from within.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
It has been since September since I became a system analyst and I am thinking about getting my Masters and becoming a Project Manager with that PMP cert in mind. I really don't care about the regular certs anymore. I really feel secure in the healthcare industry of Information Technology.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm teaching myself Numerical Methods. shyt is :mindblown:

I have to ask, how do engineering and CS students follow this without a solid knowledge of real analysis, which is a class only math majors have to take?

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Im hoping some one can help me in this thread.

I recently graduated with a degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
(ive programmed, built digital and analog circuits, experimented with 3 phase pwer systems, etc)

I thought about going into controls engineering (plc and automation type work)

But I don't feel my heart is in that. I've always liked to research latest technologies, help people with their tech problems (by repairing hands on or just recommending them some shyt), buy and setup new tech, and tinker with shyt.

I feel like IT might be what i need to steer towards but im not honestly sure. I mean i like how this sounds,

Companies from startups to the Fortune 500 hire information technology consultants to figure out the fastest, cheapest and most reliable ways to make their computer systems run better. They assess a firm's tech needs, create a plan, see it through and follow up to make sure it's running well.

But when I start reading some of the niche topics in IT, they dont sound to interesting.

Can shed some light or possibly advise on what IT or Engineering career paths someone such as myself might find plausible?

My goal is to become a consultant in what ever area i dedicate myself to.

-DMP-

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

(ive programmed, built digital and analog circuits, experimented with 3 phase pwer systems, etc)

But I don't feel my heart is in that. I've always liked to research latest technologies, help people with their tech problems (by repairing hands on or just recommending them some shyt), buy and setup new tech, and tinker with shyt.

I feel like IT might be what i need to steer towards but im not honestly sure. I mean i like how this sounds,

But when I start reading some of the niche topics in IT, they dont sound to interesting.

Can shed some light or possibly advise on what IT or Engineering career paths someone such as myself might find plausible?

-DMP-

If it doesn't sound interesting, it might not be for you. To be a consultant and make real money, you have to be extremely good and knowledgeable at what you do. It takes a lot of studying (outside of your degree), a lot of experience, and a lot of practice in a lab getting used to whatever technology you're going to be an expert in.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

-DMP-

To be a consultant, you are going to need *years* of experience. I mean be at the top of your game( I dont really see a way around this one ).

Sorry to say, but what you describe in your interests, only thing I can think of is tech support or some type of sales guy and you're probably going to hate both. Your best bet is to get a job dealing with your degree.

For more advice dealing with the engineering fields, checkout

Career Guidance Forum Alot of great advice over there.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Im currently in a B.S program of 'Information Technology and Administrative Management'. I have no experience in the IT field(currently a computer lab assistant and assistant librarian) and trying to get a helpdesk job/entry level IT job.Living here in the Northwest it seems to be a tough market to crack. Any advice on certs needed that can help supplement my degree would surely be helpful.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Im currently in a B.S program of 'Information Technology and Administrative Management'. I have no experience in the IT field(currently a computer lab assistant and assistant librarian) and trying to get a helpdesk job/entry level IT job.Living here in the Northwest it seems to be a tough market to crack. Any advice on certs needed that can help supplement my degree would surely be helpful.

The Usual A+ is always a great place to start. Also I see alot of people focusing just on Microsoft technologies when alot of servers out here run Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD etc. I mean Microsoft makes alot of great products but they aren't the end all be all. You guys can help yourself stand out by learning Linux and finding a non-profit org or attending Linux meetings in your area and networking with people.

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
The Usual A+ is always a great place to start. Also I see alot of people focusing just on Microsoft technologies when alot of servers out here run Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD etc. I mean Microsoft makes alot of great products but they aren't the end all be all. You guys can help yourself stand out by learning Linux and finding a non-profit org or attending Linux meetings in your area and networking with people.

Yeah I was thinking about the A+, because from what I can tell the shelf life on it seems to last long, so to speak. Just trying to get my feet wet, thanks for the reply fam.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
If it doesn't sound interesting, it might not be for you. To be a consultant and make real money, you have to be extremely good and knowledgeable at what you do. It takes a lot of studying (outside of your degree), a lot of experience, and a lot of practice in a lab getting used to whatever technology you're going to be an expert in.

To be a consultant, you are going to need *years* of experience. I mean be at the top of your game( I dont really see a way around this one ).

Sorry to say, but what you describe in your interests, only thing I can think of is tech support or some type of sales guy and you're probably going to hate both. Your best bet is to get a job dealing with your degree.

For more advice dealing with the engineering fields, checkout

Career Guidance Forum Alot of great advice over there.

I think I'm going to go with controls engineering. I did a very basic PID algorithm for my senior robot project in college and I was genuinely interested.

Thanks for your responses

-DMP-