IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I need some help brehs.

I don't know if I should major in Computer science or networking. One of the courses I am taking next semester is computer programing and logic. I also plan on taking C++ next year.

A lot of people tell me not to major in CS and to major in IT.

Are the majors called 'Information Technology' and 'Networking'? At my school we only had Computer Science and Information Systems (I.S.). Either way hiring departments are more interested in computer science. I majored in Information Systems and always got puzzled/confused looks during interviews. Even though all my classes involved networking, hardware/software, databases, programming, html, usability and project management.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Are the majors called 'Information Technology' and 'Networking'? At my school we only had Computer Science and Information Systems (I.S.). Either way hiring departments are more interested in computer science. I majored in Information Systems and always got puzzled/confused looks during interviews. Even though all my classes involved networking, hardware/software, databases, programming, html, usability and project management.
what level of math do you have to complete to get a degree in CS?

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali

I think they call it the same at my school. I will double check later today.

I am leaning towards CS because I like programing. I also like computer engineering. What's your opinion on that major?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I think they call it the same at my school. I will double check later today.

I am leaning towards CS because I like programing. I also like computer engineering. What's your opinion on that major?

If you like programming and have solid math skills then CS is perfect for you. Honestly you can probably qualify for any I.T. job you want with a CS degree. I'm not saying its automatic/easy (experience trumps all), but no employer will knock you or have any confusion about your degree and capabilities.

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
If you like programming and have solid math skills then CS is perfect for you. Honestly you can probably qualify for any I.T. job you want with a CS degree. I'm not saying its automatic/easy (experience trumps all), but no employer will knock you or have any confusion about your degree and capabilities.

I did notice when doing some research that most companies want someone with a CS degree and a few years of experience.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Bdizzle,Can you help me out. I got an a+ been working at help desk support for a few years Need to move on.

Im leaning toward MS active directory, exchange that sort of thing. what exams should I be looking into and what equipment do I need to self study

I actually like to learn programming but i think MS land would be better.

I dont want to do hardware.

what do you suggest?

No equipment needed, just use hyperv, vmware, virtualbox or whatever you like to install windows on. You can download 180 day trials from microsoft or you can just torrent the full software.

For exams, check out mcsa 2012 and mcse 2012 certs.

So do any of you guys use products like Splunk to troubleshoot issues in infrastructure? I'm trying to get an idea of what Splunk's tools do.

Splunk

Splunk is an open source SIEM. It's used mostly by security cats for event correlation and management. With it you get visibility as to what's going on on your network. At it can set off alarms and logs for "interesting" taffic. Major vendors are McAffee, HP, Symantec, and RSA. Check out the Gartner rating for more info:

http://www.hpenterprisesecurity.com/collateral/report/GartnerMQ_SIEM_2011.pdf

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
You are not eating as good as the people with bachelors and masters degrees.

I just turned down 2 positions today paying 115k and 135k because it had a 30 minute commute. Like I said, I'm :eat: fine Breh.

But like I always say, what do I know, I'm just another lost nikka