IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
breh most of the IT folks in here started in support...that's how you cut your teeth in this industry
Lol yea i know that. But im talkin later on. When i got the experience and i need to choose what area i want to be in for good. But i know the only way to get there is to work help desk at first. And i dont mind that at all. Sittin down answerin calls is better than sweatin my ass off in a warehouse all day. Trust me iknow its gonna be a grind. Thats why i got a lot of respect for yall who already made it there.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Lol yea i know that. But im talkin later on. When i got the experience and i need to choose what area i want to be in for good. But i know the only way to get there is to work help desk at first. And i dont mind that at all. Sittin down answerin calls is better than sweatin my ass off in a warehouse all day. Trust me iknow its gonna be a grind. Thats why i got a lot of respect for yall who already made it there.

If you have any Comcast/AT&T/Time Warner/Verizon/Cox/etc type places in your area, try applying for jobs in their tech support department. I got my first technology-related work experience working for an ISP.

When I got in I was like 20 and didn't have any experience or certs, I basically got in because I was majoring in something IT-related and could answer the interview questions easily (ie. "What is a driver?"). ISP tech support jobs suck, but, like you said, it's a way to get your foot in the door and they usually pay at least $10-11/hr starting off.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
lol man i'm new to this shyt. ive been workin warehouse since high school...never even came close to enrolling in college. i'ma meet with a counselor and see what happens. I just chose computer applications. i'm really just tryin to gain some knowledge and make some connects in the industry hopefully.

Breh, pick up these books....

Heads First SQL
Learning SQL, 2nd Edition
Hello World, Programing For Kids and Beginners [Must Read]
Python Programming An Introduction to Computer Science, 2nd Edition
Concepts of Programming Languages, 10 Edition [Must Read]
The Information: A History, A Thory, A Flood [Great Read...Gives you a history of how information went from being spread by Africans that used drums to communicate messages to where we are now with computers]
Heads First C#
Heads First C

Go to these websites....

www.tizag.com (Learn & practice html, css, php, java, or perl)

www.w3schools.com (Learn & practice html, html5, CSS, CSS3, Java, jquery, SQL, php, ASP.Net, XML

SQLcourse.com (learn & practice SQL)

Linuxzoo.net (learn and practice the linux operating environment)

You don't have to read all these titles, but pick something, ANYTHING, learn it, love it, master it. fukk helpdesk (no diss), but there is a way bigger opportunity out there if you are will to commit to reading, practicing and studying. In addition, with the resources I gave, you will be gaing quality experinece by creating programs, building database using SQL, etc..

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
If you have any Comcast/AT&T/Time Warner/Verizon/Cox/etc type places in your area, try applying for jobs in their tech support department. I got my first technology-related work experience working for an ISP.

When I got in I was like 20 and didn't have any experience or certs, I basically got in because I was majoring in something IT-related and could answer the interview questions easily (ie. "What is a driver?"). ISP tech support jobs suck, but, like you said, it's a way to get your foot in the door and they usually pay at least $10-11/hr starting off.

Yea thats one of the reasons im going to school too. Because i have no experience and im hoping if these companies see im at least in school theyd be willing to give me a chance. And yea i always see cable companies lookin for people. So ima try again once i start goin to school.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

Heads First SQL
The Information: A History, A Thory, A Flood [Great Read...Gives you a history of how information went from being spread by Africans that used drums to communicate messages to where we are now with computers]
Heads First C#
Heads First C

Go to these websites....

www.w3schools.com (Learn & practice html, html5, CSS, CSS3, Java, jquery, SQL, php, ASP.Net, XML

You don't have to read all these titles, but pick something, ANYTHING, learn it, love it, master it. fukk helpdesk (no diss), but there is a way bigger opportunity out there if you are will to commit to reading, practicing and studying. In addition, with the resources I gave, you will be gaing quality experinece by creating programs, building database using SQL, etc..

Major props on this. Ima look into these for sure. Need to get that knowledge up.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Yea thats one of the reasons im going to school too. Because i have no experience and im hoping if these companies see im at least in school theyd be willing to give me a chance. And yea i always see cable companies lookin for people. So ima try again once i start goin to school.

I just started my class too I'm novice as Well. what's crazy is dude who runs the program was Damn near saying the same shyt about the money and times frames. Said in five years if you ain't caking :ufdup: Any of you brehs know anything about what hopsitals and doctors are switching over too for keeping info and writing scripts? That's like my best bet connection wise when I get my shyt rolling a couple years down the line .

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Damn man, I'm starting to feel like my skill set is kinda :flabbynsick:

I'm gonna spend some time upgrading my shyt. I don't feel like I'm the best of the best anymore.

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Heads First SQL
Heads First C#
Heads First C

Go to these websites....

This is for computer programming, right?

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Carné Asada;2939993 said:
what if Im not so great at math?

You don't have to be mathematician to be a programmer, breh.

Crazy fact: the term "computer," many years ago was actually meant to describe humans that performed math.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Umma help y'all brehs out cause I want to see y'all eat. I'ma post the links to the books were y'all can download them for free :scheme:, although you nikkas should already know how to do this :wtb:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Umma help y'all brehs out cause I want to see y'all eat. I'ma post the links to the books were y'all can download them for free :scheme:, although you nikkas should already know how to do this :wtb:

Good looks, breh. I've always wanted to get into computer related stuff but never knew where to start. Its not that I suck at math, I just never cared for it. But I love computers and was working on getting my A+ just to get my foot in the door. But I got lazy and distracted and never followed through.

But right now, I hate my job and need a career change. Sales is a muthafukka.