IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kbtwofour

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I just turned down 2 positions today paying 115k and 135k because it had a 30 minute commute. Like I said, I'm :eat: fine Breh.

But like I always say, what do I know, I'm just another lost nikka

Good for you. Make sure you sure the wealth with your Coli brehs. :jawalrus:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I just turned down 2 positions today paying 115k and 135k because it had a 30 minute commute. Like I said, I'm :eat: fine Breh.

But like I always say, what do I know, I'm just another lost nikka

:bryan: I Want That Money.

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
took a week more then expected cuz my son gave me that work :beli:

but passed ICDN 2 :takedat:

round jan 15, ccna voice here i come :youngsabo:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems and I'm approaching 6 months on a Help Desk position. Do I even need to bother getting an A+ or Network+ cert. to progress?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I have a Bachelor's degree in Information Systems and I'm approaching 6 months on a Help Desk position. Do I even need to bother getting an A+ or Network+ cert. to progress?

That's where I was at until last month (finally got a break, although I do still do helpdesk stuff). Actually took me a few years to find something better.

If you already have a BA and experience, I wouldn't bother with those certs. I'd start looking for Jr. Sys Admin/Jr. Network Admin positions, and in the meantime work on something like your CCENT (if you're more into networking) or one of the MCITP certs for more general Microsoft/Desktop/Server stuff.

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil

the industry standard is CCNA, even non related network jobs will ask for CCNA, why? because it shows you can accumulate a shytload of info.

so instead of A+ i would do the first part of ccna, CCENT.

i bat a few bachelor degrees to the position i am in now 3 years back because in 2002 i was ccna certified... i have what we call here a Cegep certificat..

in quebec, it goes Highschool - Cegep - University

A+ gets you a helpdesk job.. and really i did the course and was like :upsetfavre:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hi
I wanted to thank yous for ALL of the information in here. It really has helped me. But a quick question,
I have A+ and Net+
Studying for Security+ solo
CCNA and Windows 7 classes in 2 weeks(looking to get those certs by April)

What should be my next move?

Also, other than help desk...what type of jobs should I be looking for as a person with entry certs and no experience?

Thanks again everyone

lepard

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am trying to get to a system admin position after working Level 2 for a major corporation going on 3 years now. I have my A+, Network+, ACSP 10.6 and I'm currently studying for MCSE 2012. In looking for the most salary, should I be specializing as system admin or should I specialize in Exchange... or both?

When it comes to IT specializing is where the money is, but wanting to see thoughts from the regulars here.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Hi
I wanted to thank yous for ALL of the information in here. It really has helped me. But a quick question,
I have A+ and Net+
Studying for Security+ solo
CCNA and Windows 7 classes in 2 weeks(looking to get those certs by April)

What should be my next move?

Also, other than help desk...what type of jobs should I be looking for as a person with entry certs and no experience?

Thanks again everyone

If after you get all those certs and you still ain't gotta gig, I'd recommend you holding off and just focus on getting a job.

Either help desk or PC tech/support. That's pretty much where we all started at.

I am trying to get to a system admin position after working Level 2 for a major corporation going on 3 years now. I have my A+, Network+, ACSP 10.6 and I'm currently studying for MCSE 2012. In looking for the most salary, should I be specializing as system admin or should I specialize in Exchange... or both?

When it comes to IT specializing is where the money is, but wanting to see thoughts from the regulars here.

I refuse to answer your question until you change that demonic font.