IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I think I'm going to go with controls engineering. I did a very basic PID algorithm for my senior robot project in college and I was genuinely interested.

Thanks for your responses

-DMP-

Cool, I picked up an Arduino board off Amazon not to long ago, haven't had the chance to do much yet besides flipping the light switchs on/off in C. LOL

But w/ your Engineering degree, you are going to start off better paywise & career wise then if you tried IT at this point.

You should have no problem finding a programming job or something in your field.

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
I already gotta bachelors in something unrelated so I'm pretty much relegated to certifications :wow:

Would Cisco Network be good/bad to get one in?

semtex

:)
Daps
My CS classes this semester:

Database
Design and analysis of algorithms
Android development
Information privacy

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
Good shyt breh :obama:

What's tripping you up? The design exams are the hardest IMO. The AD exams are just memorizing facts. The design exams want you to memorize how MS recommends doing shyt...Back in the Win 2000 MCSE days they used to call the design exam the beast :whoo:

Anyways, like I always tell dudes fukking with them MS certs, learn powershell. It'll be the differentiator between you getting the job nowadays (moreso than a cert IMO).

I second this. I got an MCITP:Enterprise Admin and found the AD exam to be te toughest. I got nailed with lots of Powershell questions on my first time and actually ended up failing. Hit the books and passed on the second time.

Good luck...the AD test is a beast....

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Im Back In. Been Slacking WAY too much :wow:. Time to get to business

semtex

:)
Daps
So as a java developer, academia aside, what would I have to know in the WORKPLACE?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Just passed Network+, what a bytch of a test. I hate the way Comptia words their questions.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
ay i'm applying for fall classes. and this is the first time i'm ever gonna be going to college. and it's asking me for a major. but I don't see information systems or technology. here is a list of the majors in computers.

Untitled.jpg

Which one would you guys advise me to choose?

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ay i'm applying for fall classes. and this is the first time i'm ever gonna be going to college. and it's asking me for a major. but I don't see information systems or technology. here is a list of the majors in computers.

Untitled.jpg

how old are you breh?

krexzen

All Star
Daps

Untitled.jpg

:leostare: CIS

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
lol man i'm new to this shyt. ive been workin warehouse since high school...never even came close to enrolling in college. i'ma meet with a counselor and see what happens. I just chose computer applications. i'm really just tryin to gain some knowledge and make some connects in the industry hopefully.

krexzen

All Star
Daps
lol man i'm new to this shyt. ive been workin warehouse since high school...never even came close to enrolling in college. i'ma meet with a counselor and see what happens. I just chose computer applications. i'm really just tryin to gain some knowledge and make some connects in the industry hopefully.

I apologize breh. Keep at it and don't give up. As been said before, we all started somewhere. :salute:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Yeah, you basically need to meet with an advisor/counselor and start thinking about what you actually want to do in IT. It's a big field and you want to specialize somewhere.

Do you want to do tech support? Fix computers? Write programs? Work with databases? Manage computer networks? Create websites?

All of those things are pretty different. Working as, say, a PC Tech fixing computers all day is way different than working as a programmer and writing code all day. So try to think about which one you think you'd like more.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Yeah, you basically need to meet with an advisor/counselor and start thinking about what you actually want to do in IT. It's a big field and you want to specialize somewhere.

Do you want to do tech support? Fix computers? Write programs? Work with databases? Manage computer networks? Create websites?

All of those things are pretty different. Working as, say, a PC Tech fixing computers all day is way different than working as a programmer and writing code all day. So try to think about which one you think you'd like more.

well I heard most tech support poeple hate their jobs. I wanna work in an area that's fun, and challenging. not an area where i'm gonna hate goin in to work everyday. I think either settin up networks or security would be my first choices right now. but I know once I get in there and start getting the experience I might gonna go in a completely different direction than I planned. I guess I just have to see when I get there. but it would be good to get in an area where i'm able to free roam a little and get tasks to do on my own.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
well I heard most tech support poeple hate their jobs. I wanna work in an area that's fun, and challenging. not an area where i'm gonna hate goin in to work everyday. I think either settin up networks or security would be my first choices right now. but I know once I get in there and start getting the experience I might gonna go in a completely different direction than I planned. I guess I just have to see when I get there. but it would be good to get in an area where i'm able to free roam a little and get tasks to do on my own.

breh most of the IT folks in here started in support...that's how you cut your teeth in this industry