IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I've decided to start a career blog/vlog website for people trying to get into IT or needing career advice and wanted to know if anyone on here would be interested in something like. I'm thinking about doing articles/videos talking about shyt like how to get started in IT, how to make your resume on point, steps on reaching a 6 figure salary, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If people seem interested I'm gonna try to have the site up and running by the end of the month.

I'm thinking of doing videos like MKBHD

I'd support you breh.

Adalina

Rookie
Daps
Coli brothers and sisters? Is being a part time IT/Techie cause of school/time commitments/job, a bad thing? I'm thinking of getting a cert and checking out this field, but a thought in my head is going "Is it fair work to build another dudes company lol" ( cause I heard its all writing code for hours)

Is it a good part time income? I don't mind the work but is it worth the out put if you get what I mean.:jbhmm:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Coli brothers and sisters? Is being a part time IT/Techie cause of school/time commitments/job, a bad thing? I'm thinking of getting a cert and checking out this field, but a thought in my head is going "Is it fair work to build another dudes company lol" ( cause I heard its all writing code for hours)

Is it a good part time income? I don't mind the work but is it worth the out put if you get what I mean.:jbhmm:

I work part time in my schools IT department it's better than nothing

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Udemy has all of Mike Meyers courses for 10 bucks. Both A+, the complete Network+ and practice exams for both. These usually run from $99-$145..sale is good to the 11th.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
A recruiter let me have it straight today... told me I'm not getting a job because my experience is too dated, these non IT jobs really don't serve value to IT managers looking for talent.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Hell yeah im doing it when I get off
Yeah i may take one class this summer or fall because a class i need to grad and get this cert from my uni isnt being offered until next spring so i will do the udemy stuff in the mean time. I might aim at a MCSA cert since i get student discount pricing.

Light

Pro
Daps
Anyone here get a Management Information Systems degree? If so, what's a usual day look like for you? I'm thinking of switching to this major, but I don't know about managing other people. I heard it's a mix of both business and computer science (coding), which is what initially got me intrigued.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anyone here get a Management Information Systems degree? If so, what's a usual day look like for you? I'm thinking of switching to this major, but I don't know about managing other people. I heard it's a mix of both business and computer science (coding), which is what initially got me intrigued.

Your day looks like what ever job you got. CS, IT, CIS, MIS can all get you the same jobs depending on what you want to use the degrees for.

OR were you talking about typical day of class like as in the curriculum?

Light

Pro
Daps
Your day looks like what ever job you got. CS, IT, CIS, MIS can all get you the same jobs depending on what you want to use the degrees for.

OR were you talking about typical day of class like as in the curriculum?

So if I wanted to I could get a job as a programmer with this degree? I was initially planning on doing Computer Science, but ended up choosing this major because of the lack of math classes needed to fulfill the major. Might as get a minor in IT.

I've seen the course list at my school and it's a mixture of both computer science classes and business classes.

Light

Pro
Daps
Also, does anyone know of any sites in which you can practice java? Something for beginners would be nice.