IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
anyone have a discount code for the N+ exam? I'm ready to take mine. Got training for free from my school.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I've decided to start a career blog/vlog website for people trying to get into IT or needing career advice and wanted to know if anyone on here would be interested in something like. I'm thinking about doing articles/videos talking about shyt like how to get started in IT, how to make your resume on point, steps on reaching a 6 figure salary, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If people seem interested I'm gonna try to have the site up and running by the end of the month.

I'm thinking of doing videos like MKBHD

I definitely would be interested. Let me know when your website is up and running.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I've decided to start a career blog/vlog website for people trying to get into IT or needing career advice and wanted to know if anyone on here would be interested in something like. I'm thinking about doing articles/videos talking about shyt like how to get started in IT, how to make your resume on point, steps on reaching a 6 figure salary, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated. If people seem interested I'm gonna try to have the site up and running by the end of the month.

I had thought about doing this in the past. I think you could monetize this eventually. People need career consultants.

It's funny I've been toying with this idea over the last month, even written a few draft articles to see if I can structure things the way I have it in my head.

We hire alot of apprentices for tier 1 help desk stuff and because they are new to the field I have to answer a lot of questions almost daily and my goal with a few of them is just best advising them on how to get the fukk up off the help desk and move up and onwards.

I've not been in IT for too long myself so I'm thinking at the very entry level but some shyt that I have conversations about all the time:

- What did I do to pass x y z exam, resources, time spent per day studying, time spent in general, obviously this is personal but I think it helps people understand the kind of work they need to be putting in (and also that the time frame to pass some of this shyt is half the time that people usually think :heh:)

- What skills do you actually need to take from a cert? For example I expected money to start falling from the sky after my MCSA, all well and going going to and interview to say I got it but really its AD and GPO management that got me my next gig, everyone got the cert, but its easy to forget that sometimes

-Also soft skills, I got a breh that is letting recruiters send him out to bullshyt interviews, wasting his time and even confusing him on how he wants to progress

-How do you ensure you get that pay rise when it comes to reviews etc (I'm not actually the best at this, usually just move job :heh:)

-How to study, little tips and tricks, staring at a book for 2 hours is not studying if nothing goes in :heh: I always tell people to watch a vid series like CBT or something first THEN hit the books, so it wont all seem :dahell: to you

Also some stuff that I myself am looking for:
Contacting - Just how to go about it, its scary but we all know this where the money is :lupe:How much should I have in savings? :lupe:

Re-taking certs, do jobs really care? I'll have to deal with this in 1 more year I think :lupe:

Working remotely, I wanna take a second job but I dunno how it works? What if they both need me at the same time :lupe:

If you don't already, check out TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

Each section is littered with people just asking the same questions really, maybe that will give you some ideas, as far as monetizing, I really have no idea, maybe after you have that audience you can put together some short courses... as someone who buys alot there is a TON of fukking garbage out there... but they got my money already so :mjcry:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Shyt i would be interested. Not sure how u would set it up but any advice on gow to get in the game would be appreciated

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It's funny I've been toying with this idea over the last month, even written a few draft articles to see if I can structure things the way I have it in my head.

We hire alot of apprentices for tier 1 help desk stuff and because they are new to the field I have to answer a lot of questions almost daily and my goal with a few of them is just best advising them on how to get the fukk up off the help desk and move up and onwards.

I've not been in IT for too long myself so I'm thinking at the very entry level but some shyt that I have conversations about all the time:

- What did I do to pass x y z exam, resources, time spent per day studying, time spent in general, obviously this is personal but I think it helps people understand the kind of work they need to be putting in (and also that the time frame to pass some of this shyt is half the time that people usually think :heh:)

- What skills do you actually need to take from a cert? For example I expected money to start falling from the sky after my MCSA, all well and going going to and interview to say I got it but really its AD and GPO management that got me my next gig, everyone got the cert, but its easy to forget that sometimes

-Also soft skills, I got a breh that is letting recruiters send him out to bullshyt interviews, wasting his time and even confusing him on how he wants to progress

-How do you ensure you get that pay rise when it comes to reviews etc (I'm not actually the best at this, usually just move job :heh:)

-How to study, little tips and tricks, staring at a book for 2 hours is not studying if nothing goes in :heh: I always tell people to watch a vid series like CBT or something first THEN hit the books, so it wont all seem :dahell: to you

Also some stuff that I myself am looking for:
Contacting - Just how to go about it, its scary but we all know this where the money is :lupe:How much should I have in savings? :lupe:

Re-taking certs, do jobs really care? I'll have to deal with this in 1 more year I think :lupe:

Working remotely, I wanna take a second job but I dunno how it works? What if they both need me at the same time :lupe:

If you don't already, check out TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

Each section is littered with people just asking the same questions really, maybe that will give you some ideas, as far as monetizing, I really have no idea, maybe after you have that audience you can put together some short courses... as someone who buys alot there is a TON of fukking garbage out there... but they got my money already so :mjcry:

Thanks breh, you just gave me some ideas of the kinda videos I need to make. I've been in IT for so long that forgot I had those same questions when I first started. Can you share some of the articles you wrote breh? I'm mostly gonna do videos but I'll throw a few articles out there if it makes sense.

Also what courses did you buy and what didn't you like about them

Shyt i would be interested. Not sure how u would set it up but any advice on gow to get in the game would be appreciated

The first video I'm thinking of doing is gonna be advice on how to get started so once it's up I'll post the video for y'all to critique.

Last edited:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Thanks breh, you just gave me some ideas of the kinda videos I need to make. I've been in IT for so long that forgot I had those same questions when I first started. Can you share some of the articles you wrote breh? I'm mostly gonna do videos but I'll throw a few articles out there if it makes sense.

Yeah, I'll clean them up a little and drop em.