IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I got my offer letter from Oracle. I verbally accepted last month and it was about 15k less than at EMC. The kicker is that I can acquire 980 shares over the course of 4 years so that may be really good in the long run

Insun Park

Fukk Em
Daps
I apologize if this has been asked in here several times before but what's a good online source to get you prepared for the A+, CCENT, other introductory certs etc

Phantom

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Has anybody here done a coding boot camp? I was contemplating taking a full stack developer course, which range in price from $10,000 - $12,000. I was on the phone with a sales rep and they are saying starting salary for web developer is $65,000. Anybody here in this industry? Are web developers in demand?

Do employers care about computer science degrees? If I where to take one these bootcamps, this be the only real experience with coding.

Don't want to incur any more debt for a position that is not in demand so any help would be great.

Gonzo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
USA
What would be a certification that is in high demand and is deemed primarily entry level? I'd like to get my feet wet.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Has anybody here done a coding boot camp? I was contemplating taking a full stack developer course, which range in price from $10,000 - $12,000. I was on the phone with a sales rep and they are saying starting salary for web developer is $65,000. Anybody here in this industry? Are web developers in demand?

Do employers care about computer science degrees? If I where to take one these bootcamps, this be the only real experience with coding.

Don't want to incur any more debt for a position that is not in demand so any help would be great.
I've met about 5 people through work who swear by them. One did .NET, a few others did web, and another dude did iOS. They're crazy intense.

Research the schools before biting the bullet.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

The type of programming you learn in bootcamps are more geared towards web design and practical programming (i.e. automation of tasks).

In terms of learning algorithms and data structures, college will be bootcamp grads bar none. For cost/benefit you have to look into what's better for you. I've heard some bootcamps take 20% of a recently employed graduate's salary for their first year. If you were making much less and jump to 60-70K then it may be worth it.

I'm not a programmer BTW but I certainly contemplate on going back to college just to get a deep breadth of knowledge and hard math if I want to pursue careers like data science or be the guy who is designing products. Right now I'm more on the operations side, but the type of code a developer creates certainly has an impact on my role since we are the guys dealing with technical debt, poor code, etc.

For WebDev stuff and what is mostly what's out there with the cloud though bootcamps may be good, but like anything you will have to continue your education. I think bootcamps do lack in explaining deep level knowledge of programming.

As mentioned above do you research about the place though.

Phantom

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Screw a severance I would've told them to kick rocks. If the Outsourcing company doesn't have people smart enough to do my job without training too bad.

Facing layoff at Carnival, IT employee makes bold counteroffer

In early December, Carnival Corp. told about 200 IT employees that the company was transferring their work to Capgemini, a large IT outsourcing firm. The employees had a choice: Either agree to take a job with the contractor or leave without severance.

The employees had until this week to make a decision about their future with the cruise line.

By agreeing to a job with Paris-based Capgemini, employees are guaranteed employment for six months, said Roger Frizzell, a Carnival spokesman. "Our expectation is that many will continue to work on our account or placed into other open positions within Capgemini" that go well beyond the six-month period, he said in an email.

"We believe this is an opportunity to strengthen and improve our IT operation, but also a better long-term option for our IT employees to have employment with a top IT firm," Frizzell said.

The article doesn't state what jobs Carnival IT guys had, do you happen to know? And fukk having to train your replacement.

Looked up some web developer positions on monster and all the companies want people with at least 5 years experience :what:, how I am suppose to get my foot in the door with everybody wanting somebody with substantial experience. How do work around this? Internships?

I took an L for not subbing to this thread earlier.

semtex

:)
Daps
The article doesn't state what jobs Carnival IT guys had, do you happen to know? And fukk having to train your replacement.

Looked up some web developer positions on monster and all the companies want people with at least 5 years experience :what:, how I am suppose to get my foot in the door with everybody wanting somebody with substantial experience. How do work around this? Internships?

I took an L for not subbing to this thread earlier.
Build a portfolio

semtex

Daps
It has been hard to stay motivated at work the past 6ish months (unless you count the paranoia fueled by layoffs as motivation). It's all firefighting and tinkering with legacy shyt. At this point, adding to my resume is something I do more of at home on my own accord than at work. Last time I did something exciting at work was damn near a year ago. Without supplementing my job with outside projects my career would already be on life support.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Thanks but these challenges are your typical vulnerabilities/injection attacks. I want to be able to write my own buffer overflow exploits from scratch, kinda like the link below:

Exploit writing tutorial part 1 : Stack Based Overflows

I think I'm just gonna learn Ruby since that's what metasploit uses.
Turns out that I'm (supposed to) learn about buffer overflows tomorrow. If the information is worthwhile then I'll try to get it to you.

Flykid567

Pro
Daps
For my IT degree I have to take a intro to programming class this semester. Did I mess up by taking this class online I've never really programmed before :patrice:

semtex

Daps
Anyone on here ever wrote exploit code? I've been thinking about learning PHP/Perl and get heavy into pen testing.

I've been watching Mr. Robot and the shyt inspired me to learn how to code my own exploits. Besides I need a challenge because is boring the fukk outta me :francis:
Penetration testing huh :shaq: