IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody is trolling, you just aren't hearing what you want to hear.

IF you have experience like you said sending your resume out should not be an issue.

I's real in the field, so not sure why you expect some fairytale answer. You are literally posting in this thread, thats time you can have another tab open looking for jobs.
where did I say I expected a fairytale story? I acknowledge that I am lacking in areas, yet you are twisting it to something else. If you are going to to twist my words, please do not respond to me anymore.

Daps
Reppin
MD
live in the DMV area.

I honestly wanted advice not to be berated that I'm not doing enough. Its obvious I'm aware I am not doing something right. But yelling that I am not applying enough isn't helping. So if possible can people respond with something helpful and not trolling?

If who you know is what matters, then why even try?

25 apps a day isn't even realistic when you are required to have a resume fine tuned to each job listing and you can't just make one resume and send it to 25 listings.
It might be how your resume is set up. I generally never tailor my resume for any specific job posting. But once I knew I wanted a new job I was applying anytime I was near a computer. Some days I was applying to 10+ jobs, other days it was less than that. It only took a week before I had an interview lined up.

But knowing someone that can refer you at their company can help a lot if you're qualified for the position.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:manny:

you're the one looking for work not me, do what you want.
I never asked you personally but you decided to chime in. Which is fine. You had your turn. You provided what you wanted to provide. The forum is open to everyone and if someone can give me better advice, I would like to hear it.

I heard you, I said ok, and now move on, nikka.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It might be how your resume is set up. I generally never tailor my resume for any specific job posting. But once I knew I wanted a new job I was applying anytime I was near a computer. Some days I was applying to 10+ jobs, other days it was less than that. It only took a week before I had an interview lined up.

But knowing someone that can refer you at their company can help a lot if you're qualified for the position.
thank you, I appreciate the additional advice. This Cashmere dude just wants to troll now by constantly respond to me even after I accepted his comment.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

I never asked you personally but you decided to chime in. Which is fine. You had your turn. You provided what you wanted to provide. The forum is open to everyone and if someone can give me better advice, I would like to hear it.

I heard you, I said ok, and now move on, nikka.

Look at what other posters are saying. Instead of giving excuses of why you can't apply to a certain amount of jobs, how about just listen to what people are saying.

IF you don't know anybody you literally have to flood the market with your resume. If you want to give reasons why you can't do that then just keep posting on the coli waiting to hear something sweet.

You literally have tools like Linkedin, Reddit, this site, etc where you can literally find the people who make the hiring decisions at companies, and you are giving excuses on some "if you dont know anyone what is the use of trying".

This field ain't for everyone especially if you are giving reasons as to why you can't do something. If you aren't willing to make sacrifices with your own personal time why in the hell would anyone want to hire you?

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at what other posters are saying. Instead of giving excuses of why you can't apply to a certain amount of jobs, how about just listen to what people are saying.

IF you don't know anybody you literally have to flood the market with your resume. If you want to give reasons why you can't do that then just keep posting on the coli waiting to hear something sweet.

You literally have tools like Linkedin, Reddit, this site, etc where you can literally find the people who make the hiring decisions at companies, and you are giving excuses on some "if you dont know anyone what is the use of trying".

This field ain't for everyone especially if you are giving reasons as to why you can't do something. If you aren't willing to make sacrifices with your own personal time why in the hell would anyone want to hire you?
I heard you for the fourth time, breh. I accepted what you said. Why do you keep going on and on? Where did I say I can't apply to jobs? I wanted advice outside of that.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Brehs I keep applying to stuff, I have a BA in Digital Media and no one bites. I even have work experience. Is it really who you know?
Your resume might not be up to the task, even if you have the experience. One thing a lot of people fail to understand is that many resumes get ran through HR software before anyone sees it. If your resume isn't set up to be parsed correctly by the software, you're starting on the back foot. Once I reworked my resume for more efficient parsing I started to get more responses. At the same time, you might not be presenting your experience in a quantifiable way. If your bullet points are just the job description then you're letting yourself down. Under your experience you need to explain what you did and the impact you had.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your resume might not be up to the task, even if you have the experience. One thing a lot of people fail to understand is that many resumes get ran through HR software before anyone sees it. If your resume isn't set up to be parsed correctly by the software, you're starting on the back foot. Once I reworked my resume for more efficient parsing I started to get more responses. At the same time, you might not be presenting your experience in a quantifiable way. If your bullet points are just the job description then you're letting yourself down. Under your experience you need to explain what you did and the impact you had.
Thank you. Ok one person is saying that I dont need to fine-tune my resume for each listing and you are saying I should. I've done both ways. I'm confused but I'll take from what you have given me.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Thank you. Ok one person is saying that I dont need to fine-tune my resume for each listing and you are saying I should. I've done both ways. I'm confused but I'll take from what you have given me.
You need a base resume to work with. Once you have a solid one, then you fine tune from that and save it as a separate copy. If your base is solid enough then you don't need to find tune for every application. I have maybe 15 iterations of my resume, and I try to update it every month if I'm adding new skills. But more often than not I'm sending out my base resume. The takeaway from my posts is to make sure your resume reflects what you're capable of and what you can offer.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You need a base resume to work with. Once you have a solid one, then you fine tune from that and save it as a separate copy. If your base is solid enough then you don't need to find tune for every application. I have maybe 15 iterations of my resume, and I try to update it every month if I'm adding new skills. But more often than not I'm sending out my base resume. The takeaway from my posts is to make sure your resume reflects what you're capable of and what you can offer.
I've had over 5 people look at my resume and one of them was a career counselor and I have a new base resume every month. I'll just try to see if there is something lacking and try again.

Maybe I have too much experience cause I was working somewhere for over 4 years. Also maybe the website Indeed isn't great for finding jobs.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I've had over 5 people look at my resume and one of them was a career counselor and I have a new base resume every month. I'll just try to see if there is something lacking and try again.

Maybe I have too much experience cause I was working somewhere for over 4 years. Also maybe the website Indeed isn't great for finding jobs.
I had a career counselor look over mine too and he said it was fine - but it wasn't. I took it to one of my professors with industry experience and got a little bit of help, but it still didn't make much difference. Then I sat down and rewrote it from scratch (no templates or anything) and that's when things changed. You should branch out from Indeed. Mine is up on Glassdoor and Dice and it continues to draw interest.

And @CashmereEsquire is really setting you up with good advice. If you're in dire need of a job then you've got to be applying frequently. I should be on it right now but I'm not taking it as seriously as I should be and the good opportunities are starting to go away.

Londilon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had a career counselor look over mine too and he said it was fine - but it wasn't. I took it to one of my professors with industry experience and got a little bit of help, but it still didn't make much difference. Then I sat down and rewrote it from scratch (no templates or anything) and that's when things changed. You should branch out from Indeed. Mine is up on Glassdoor and Dice and it continues to draw interest.

And @CashmereEsquire is really setting you up with good advice. If you're in dire need of a job then you've got to be applying frequently. I should be on it right now but I'm not taking it as seriously as I should be and the good opportunities are starting to go away.
thanks and breh, I already tooken his advice and I never said I cant apply. Ive applied to over 140 apps. I just wanted to see if anything else needs to be worked on. thankyou

Daps
thanks and breh, I already tooken his advice and I never said I cant apply. Ive applied to over 140 apps. I just wanted to see if anything else needs to be worked on. thankyou

If you arent getting interviews your resume is the issue. I get that you had some people look it over but something in it is a problem. A good resume should have no problem getting you call backs. Feel free to sanitize it and post it here and we can give you feedback. But i guarantee thats the issue.

Also, like was said above, in your market, cats is out there flooding resumes out. THey come home from work and spend another 5 hours sending resumes. Thats who you are competing with. Keep that in mind when you are about to go to sleep and have only sent a few resumes out. But first things first, get your resume fixed up.

Additionally, you need to be out networking. Hit up everyone you know. Go to tech meetups. You really want a job? You need to be gridin!