IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
thank u

I downloaded courses on CCNA but I also heard the ethical hacker cert is good, should I also pursue that? Is it beginner level ?

Also do you know anything about the PMP cert Project management?
I'd offer getting some hands on time in somewhere as well. It may be non paid, but experience seems to be overlooked by many people wanting to cert hunt and skip a few steps. You can't beat hands on work in a production environment even if it's just looking over the shoulder of someone who is doing the heavy lifting.

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
I'd offer getting some hands on time in somewhere as well. It may be non paid, but experience seems to be overlooked by many people wanting to cert hunt and skip a few steps. You can't beat hands on work in a production environment even if it's just looking over the shoulder of someone who is doing the heavy lifting.
Thanks for the advice bro

How should I approach getting experience unpaid, should I just email random places and ask? :lupe:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

How should I approach getting experience unpaid, should I just email random places and ask? :lupe:
I've seen a lot of different approaches. Some are as simple as sending messages out to companies letting them know your interest and your desire for a career change as well as work you're working on. Especially if there's a short term project you may find yourself maybe not experienced enough to be paid (you may get paid anyway) and then impress the hell out of the people you're working with. I did that, ended up gaining a mentor and progressed pretty swiftly from running cables, to lead desktop support, to now Enterprise Service Engineer for a Tech 30 (in about 2 years).

I've also found that non-profits, churches, etc all need work and if you're around a place there's a strong chance they have a technical infrastructure in place. This might be even your current place of employment. Ask can you help out. Then impress. Then the more time you spend working around the tech you will get a better idea of what specialization track you want to follow.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Anyone on here ever wrote exploit code? I've been thinking about learning PHP/Perl and get heavy into pen testing.

I've been watching Mr. Robot and the shyt inspired me to learn how to code my own exploits. Besides I need a challenge because is boring the fukk outta me :francis:

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thank u

I downloaded courses on CCNA but I also heard the ethical hacker cert is good, should I also pursue that? Is it beginner level ?

Bro I dont know about those. All i have at the moment is ccna and the things im looking at for the near future are ccnp, vmware and improving my understanding on windows servers.

Daps
thank u

Look on job boards at the entry level jobs in your area or whichever jobs you want to get. See which certs those jobs ask for. Then get those certs. PMP isnt an entry level cert, so i doubt you will see that. unlikely you see entry level roles asking for ethical hacker as well. So i would determine what is the best route to take based on YOUR goals and YOUR job market, then do that.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Anyone on here ever wrote exploit code? I've been thinking about learning PHP/Perl and get heavy into pen testing.

I've been watching Mr. Robot and the shyt inspired me to learn how to code my own exploits. Besides I need a challenge because is boring the fukk outta me :francis:
This site may interest you. I used it several years ago and picked up some tips. The Enigma Group

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
thank u

Figure out what YOU like to do. And get PMP out of your mind lol you need 5 yrs experience to sit for it and bringing up PMP and CCNA in the same breath shows you are already looking at things wrong.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Honestly, I'd discourage working for no pay unless you're in a really good financial situation and can afford it, or you plan to keep your current job and work a second job part-time. Especially if you're out of college. Even when I was 20 with no experience (other than some IT-related college classes) and no certs, I was still able to find an entry-level Tech Support Rep job. Was only like 10/hr but it got my foot in the door and beat working for free.

My suggestion would be to get your A+ and start applying for Level 1 Helpdesk/Tech Support Rep jobs, even if they're part-time. Any way you look at it you're not going to start out in a high-level position.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Honestly, I'd discourage working for no pay unless you're in a really good financial situation and can afford it, or you plan to keep your current job and work a second job part-time. Especially if you're out of college. Even when I was 20 with no experience (other than some IT-related college classes) and no certs, I was still able to find an entry-level Tech Support Rep job. Was only like 10/hr but it got my foot in the door and beat working for free.

My suggestion would be to get your A+ and start applying for Level 1 Helpdesk/Tech Support Rep jobs, even if they're part-time. Any way you look at it you're not going to start out in a high-level position.
Depends on the experience you're looking to gain. If you keep your current job and work non pay/contract you can find yourself working on higher level projects.

If you go A+ (the most worthless cert) and work level 1 help desk you'll find it difficult to gain traction in a tech world moving further into the cloud and virtualization. Resetting the IE cache and rebuilding outlook profiles isn't really a useful skill outside of tier 1.

And at 10/hr you're really going to struggle being able to afford cert tests, books, lab equipment etc.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro I dont know about those. All i have at the moment is ccna and the things im looking at for the near future are ccnp, vmware and improving my understanding on windows servers.

Whats the best study guide book for CCNA on amazon? I registered on career academy and another breh put me on to the udacity app. I need a career change and everybody says the A+ is outdated

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
NYC is backwards with these IT jobs :snoop:

4 years of Help desk experience for a Level 1 Help Desk position :mindblown:

I'm bout to just stick with these contract jobs instead :rudy:

Keep poking. Too many places on bullshyt though.

I myself saw a MASTERS requirement for desktop support job. :wtf: Wild ass shyt.

Brehs I gotta get this A+ asap

Was looking at positions near where I live, one help desk job was paying $20/hour and another from $15-25/hour :damn: I could pay off my entire debt in one year and still have enough left to ball out :damn:

Just gotta keep grinding and finish this book hopefully by the end of December.

Sign up for WIOA funding if you must. Get your foot in that door and have Govt funding to collect a few certs.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Do a search on YouTube for Joe McCray Exploit Development. I think on his website he even has free tutorials on writing exploits.