IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
I assume based on your posts you didn't lab or have an actual copy of Microsoft Sever 2012. I was looking at prices and its pretty expensive. Do you feel you learned enough to be confident at your job without lab time? If you got lab time how did you get it?

The reason I asked is because I was going to buy a book on Amazon today, and the labs in the book used Window server 2012 standard. Which is like 500$ on Amazon. Now if it necessary I would buy it but if thers a cheaper way to gets hands on experience I'd like to do that.
Check Dreamspark or AWS. both can you you free servers. Dreamspark is free if you have a .edu email and aws gives a free trial. And even without the license you can install the evaluation version of 2012 server free for 180 days. Get your lab on bruh.

FastEddie215

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I assume based on your posts you didn't lab or have an actual copy of Microsoft Sever 2012. I was looking at prices and its pretty expensive. Do you feel you learned enough to be confident at your job without lab time? If you got lab time how did you get it?

The reason I asked is because I was going to buy a book on Amazon today, and the labs in the book used Window server 2012 standard. Which is like 500$ on Amazon. Now if it necessary I would buy it but if thers a cheaper way to gets hands on experience I'd like to do that.
Forgot to add that i did lab. My method for studying was I watched the video first on the exam objective, after the videos i would read/study the same exam objectives i just watched from the videos and them work the lab.

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
just got the Mike Meyers A+ for $23 instead of the full $60 plus free two day shipping

PKIiHh.gif

that book discount code and my old student email came thru clutch :whew: no more having to renew that shyt every two weeks at the library :blessed:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Talked to Oracle/Netsuite about a role. The hiring manager seemed low energy but we talked about a few things and he got excited.

Not sure how I feel about company culture or Oracle since I've worked at companies that had really good company culture. I'd be anticipating a more conservative culture, but given that DevOps/SRE is a "new" model I'm assuming that the teams will be fresh talent and younger (20s-30s) more than anything.

On the flip side, the fact that it would be a smaller team in a large company like Oracle will be good for my resume.

Just ordered this

3DFrontView.jpg

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just got the Mike Meyers A+ for $23 instead of the full $60 plus free two day shipping

PKIiHh.gif

that book discount code and my old student email came thru clutch :whew: no more having to renew that shyt every two weeks at the library :blessed:

If you studying for A+ watch proffessor Messor vids. And buy his study notes and memorize them. There like 10 bucks but woth it imo. Especially for 802 which would be 902 for you.

I feel they really helped on the first one the secound one not as much but still helpful.

DAT NICCA KELSO

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Foreman's Basement

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Forgot to add that i did lab. My method for studying was I watched the video first on the exam objective, after the videos i would read/study the same exam objectives i just watched from the videos and them work the lab.

So you used virtual labs from technet ect. Or you had access to the real deal at work/home?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So I didn't get an offer from Indeed. No feedback as of right now. I really think it could have came down to personality / fit. I felt slight disinterest from one or two interviewers but nothing major. I still have other prospects

A little disappointed considering I didn't get feedback and it was final interviews

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Well I'm talking with Oracle, second screening. Flying out again for an interview.
Good luck. Getting flown out means you're a serious candidate now. I thought I had a shot with Microsoft but I reread the email and apparently if you haven't graduated yet then you aren't eligible for the spot :mjcry:. They start interviewing next Monday so I figure that if I haven't heard back by now then it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter though. I did the little estimated salary thing on Dice and they had ya boy sitting on 6 figures :mjgrin:. It's time to get paid :steviej:

TheAnalyst504

Rookie
Daps
Gentlemen,

Any Data/Business Analysts in here? I have a few questions:

Which software/tool has increased your marketability the most?

In your current role, what software/tool do you use the most?

Which certifications and training would you recommend?

Some background

Got the BA in Management with Concentrations in Management Information Systems and Small Business Management, I recently finished the MBA in Supply Chain Management, and I currently work as a Data Analyst for manufacturing company. I assist with Payroll Systems Implementation of recently bought subsidiaries. The job is cool, but I'm always trying to sharpen up just in case another opportunity arises. I'm looking for that 6 figure set up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.